Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:36 PM        Harry Potter or The Neverending Story
Which is better?

I'd say the Neverending Story, cause it was badass and original. And it's what my youth grew up with. Such a fantastic movie.
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:51 PM       
it wasn't original, it was based off of a German book.

FeuerAffe is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM       
Duh. They're both books made into movies. I'm going to stretch my imagination here and assume that the retro kid already knew that.

The Neverending Story is so much better...I can't even find the words for it. I fucking hate Harry Potter.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:08 PM       
The Neverending storieeeeeeeee.....la da de la da de la da de.....

The Neverending Story is cool, but The Return to Oz is even better.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:12 PM       
I could never get into NES. Harry Potter for me.

Grazzt is probably a spambot
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:52 PM       
Neverending Story, since Harry Potter is just a ripoff of Timothy Hunter anyway.
Daphne is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:13 PM       
I love them both, but I'll have to say Harry Potter. Even though I don't like the movies as much as the books.

Timothy Hunter? Never heard of him, I'm afraid. Books, I assume?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM       
"Books of Magic" comic series. The two characters do bear some similarities, and the comics were around long before Harry Potter. But I'm not sure Harry Potter is a rip-off, since Books of Magic follows a much more interesting plotline which Harry Potter failed to emulate.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Well, Harry Potter is hardly original, a lot of fantasy stories are about the orphan with the horrible life who ends up being some kick ass guy instead of a dork.
I love the Harry Potter books. I find them really interesting and fun light, reading. I only wish they weren't as popular as they are now, it was horrible seeing people dressed as fucking wizards at the movie. I just know they are going to end up with fans as annoying as Star Wars geeks.

I want to add, that the only people I know who don't care for the books, are usually people who have read the US versions. I find that funny.
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM       
I've never read the books myself, but I did enjoy the first movie. I've heard a bit about the books from some of my friends that are into them, and they might well be fun, from everything I hear. I doubt they're as good as Books of Magic though, as Neil Gaiman was the one who created it.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:47 PM       
You never know unless you read them.
I suggest you find a copy of the UK/Canadian version. The US ones are dumbed down for some reason. Like how they called the first one Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, instead of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (like it was around the rest of the world). I think the assumed American kids wouldn't know what a Philosopher was so instead of actually teaching them, they just changed the title.

I'm amazed the 4th book wasn't called Harry Potter and the Hot Cup.

Quote:
Books of Magic follows a much more interesting plotline which Harry Potter failed to emulate.
how can you know that if you haven't read them?
The Goddamned Batman
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM       
I have a pretty good idea of where the Harry Potter stories go from talking to others. I do plan on reading the books myself one day, most definitely.

The guy who introduced me to Books of Magic told me that Harry Potter was fun but nothing more than fluff, really. Based on the first movie I find that statement to be very credible, but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually read them myself (most definitely the UK versions).

I can say at this point however that Books of Magic is DEFINITELY not fluff.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:05 PM       
Quote:
I'm amazed the 4th book wasn't called Harry Potter and the Hot Cup.

i loved the harry potter books. and the neverending story was awesome, as well.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:35 PM       
I hate how people act as if harry potter is like the most original series to come along in a while. Most of the shit in there is just stuff a 10 year old could think up or bastardizations of classic fantasy races and such.

That was very funny. Well done.

Old May 5th, 2003, 05:42 PM       
Harry Potter has its uses, Cable fan... A teacher I know uses it as a gateway to real fantasy.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM       
Well that teacher's a fucking fairy.

GET IT?

Mocker
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM       
Plus Harry Potter had no muppets. The Never Ending Story was such a fun fantasy, though.
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid
I hate how people act as if harry potter is like the most original series to come along in a while. Most of the shit in there is just stuff a 10 year old could think up or bastardizations of classic fantasy races and such.
Have you read the books? And I never said it was the most original thing ever, I just think they are fun books.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM       
Quote:
Like how they called the first one Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, instead of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (like it was around the rest of the world).
You know, I'll bet it was to make the book more tame in the eyes of conservative Christians, who think any reference to the actual occult in fantasy will corrupt their pure, innocent, little children.
The Wolf
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid
Have you read the books? And I never said it was the most original thing ever, I just think they are fun books.
I wasn't referring to what you said. I just meant it seems like most people think it's more original than it is. And no, I've never read the books. I've seen both movies though. I've also skimmed through the first one.

Old May 5th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
It's hardly fair to judge them if you haven't read them, you should know better . I really hate when people say a book or a movie is shit without reading it. Say it's not your cup of tea, but don't say it's a bastardization a 10 year old could think up. How could you know?

And I was thinking about that, Jeanette but I think Philosopher sounds a lot less damning than Sorcerer, don't you? Maybe Philosopher was harder to spell?
Mocker
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:49 PM       

'Nuff said.

Old May 5th, 2003, 11:40 PM       
I've read the first Harry Potter book, and I concluded that it is garbagio.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:26 AM       
I'm pretty sure Jeanette is dead on for the reason behind the title change. I don't imagine that there was much media coverage about it in the U.S., especially since if the book is released under a different title from the very beginning, no one's really going to know the difference in the end anyways.

The Harry Potter books are pretty good, and well worth the 30 minute read it should take you to finish the entire series. If you're constipated, you should be able to blast your way (no pun intended) to about midway through the second book in no time.

The plots are fairly simplistic, but they're still fun. If you have kids, they should definitely read these.
Queen of the Beasts
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:14 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne
And I was thinking about that, Jeanette but I think Philosopher sounds a lot less damning than Sorcerer, don't you? Maybe Philosopher was harder to spell?
No, its because the Philosopher's Stone is something that alchemists (medival occultists with a thing for chemistry) strove to create. It supposedly turned lead into gold and made you immortal and stuff...

And Retro Kat is right. The Harry Potter series can't possibly be as cool as The Neverending Story, because Harry Potter doesn't ride a giant flying dog-thing...(weren't they called luck-dragons or something?)
I want a dog-thing too...are they easy to housetrain?