Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:39 PM       
"When i've got the cash, i'll buy an album, but there's just too much that i like for me to be able to keep up monetarily"

Exactly! I just download everything I can't keep up with. I may not have the $20 to spend on a CD at that second, but I'll still like to buy it at some point. Or, when I can, I'll get stuff that isn't out yet to listen to, but will by it as soon as it comes out. I downloaded the new Belle & Sebastian, and I'll definitely get it the second it comes out.

Also... I don't feel that paying for mp3s or whatever computer format is really a viable thing. I would hate just having an album I love on my computer. I want a physical object if I'm going to pay for it; I want a book, I want a disc, and I want a cool package. Fuck just having the music, that ruins the whole experience of collecting music. Perhaps when you buy a CD you should get access to some website that allows you to download a copy for yourself as well. If people want to buy just the mp3s then that's fine for them, but I definitely never want that to be the only option. Long live the disc!

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:32 AM       
I really hate when a CD comes with "multimedia" crap that interferes with regular play. For instance, I have a CD right now of which I'd like to record the numbers to MP3 to listen to on my MP3 player, but they've fucked it up so that I can't.

Not only can this CD not be recognized in half the CD players I try it in, but the only way I can play it on my computer is by letting it run a tiny home-made CD player application which completely sucks up all my system resources and has no shuffle function. Shit like this really pisses me off. I'd already had all of the numbers downloaded before I decided to buy the CD and support the band (plus I accidentally deleted the MP3s at some point), but now it just feels like a waste of money.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
I'm not sure about young adults, but in high school, almost every person whose collection I saw had many more burned copies than originals, and several people owned several hundred copied CDs and only a couple dozen they had paid for. This includes all of the amateur DJs that worked at dances in the area, and I would have turned them in if they weren't my friends - I already disagree with copying CDs, and these guys were profiting from stolen music.
1. To whom would you 'turn them in?'
2. Who in the fuck spins CDs?
3. Some stuff is very hard to get and sometimes online is the only way to get it.
4. They're profiting from their song selection and mixing skills. Besides, it's not like they were giving everyone a copy of their CDs. If they were selling CDs of their live set then...I still wouldn't have a problem. :< I think it'd be totally gay to 'turn in' anyone for pretty much any reason, though, especially in relation to music, and especially especially when it gives artists more exposure.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:33 PM       
They weren't all that good at what they did and they weren't paid for their skills, they were paid for owning a receiver and lights and speakers and for playing music. People came to hear the music, which (along with the equipment) is what made a profit the DJs didn't pay for. As for who the fuck spins CDs, these guys do - I'm not talking about real club DJs, I'm talking about just running school dances, just switching discs in a couple of CD players. Finally, everything they played was the same manufactured pop/hip-hop/dance music that doesn't need more exposure in the first place.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM       
i haven't spent a dime on cd's since i was 11
but then again im not much on music i can't see how people have the time to have thousands of songs to listen to. the most ive ever had is 130 some. im not gonna justify what i did, but most of those songs are the only good ones on there respectable cd's :/
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM       
You're to stupid to understand music. Please leave us alone.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:21 PM       
You're too stupid to spell right ( this coming from me :/ ). Please go fuck yourself.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:54 PM       
If the bands didn't need more exposure in the first place, how are a few burned CDs in the hand of a half-baked DJ at a school dance going to impair them?

And you didn't say who you'd report them to anyway.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 10:49 PM       
I figured if I actually planned on trying to get them in trouble, I assumed I'd be able to find someone who would be able to do something about it.

It's not that the pop stars were really dragged down by the DJs playing their music for free, it's just the principle of the whole situation. Professional DJ companies that play the same kind music at weddings and such are often very strict about using only licensed (i.e. they paid for the recordings) mixes or compilations for this very reason - they could land in serious hot water if someone filed suit against them for playing stolen music. And I think the kids who do the high school dances should be held to the same standard.