Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:47 AM        Agression Linked to Finger Length
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm

Finger length 'key to aggression'

Finger length is linked to testosterone exposure in the womb
The length of a man's fingers can reveal how physically aggressive he is, Canadian scientists have said.
The shorter the index finger is compared to the ring finger, the more boisterous he will be, University of Alberta researchers said.

But the same was not true for verbal aggression or hostile behaviours, they told the journal Biological Psychology after studying 300 people's fingers.

The trend is thought to be linked to testosterone exposure in the womb.

Hand hints

It has been known for some time that there is a direct correlation between finger lengths and the amount of the male sex hormone testosterone that a baby is exposed to in the womb.

In women, the two fingers are usually almost equal in length, as measured from the crease nearest the palm to the fingertip. In men, the ring finger tends to be much longer than the index.

Other studies looking at finger length ratio have suggested that, in men, a long ring finger and symmetrical hands are an indication of fertility, and that women are more likely to be fertile if they have a longer index finger.

Finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from

Researcher Dr Peter Hurd

One study found boys with shorter ring fingers tended to be at greatest risk of a heart attack in early adulthood, which was linked to testosterone levels.

In the current study, Dr Peter Hurd and his student Allison Bailey measured the fingers of 300 undergraduates at their university.

Men with the shortest index fingers scored higher on measures of physical aggression than those with longer index fingers, but the study's findings did not apply to women.

Dr Hurd is now looking at male hockey players to see whether there is any correlation between finger lengths and each player's penalty record for contact and fouling during matches.

Window to the soul?

He has also been looking at whether men with more feminine finger lengths might be more prone to depression.

He said: "Finger length can tell you a little bit about where personality comes from.

"A large part of our personalities and our traits are determined while we are still in the womb."

But he said finger length should not be used to draw too many conclusions about an individual person.

"For example, you wouldn't want to screen people for certain jobs based on their finger lengths."

I could predict reasonably well who was going to win based on their finger length

Professor John Manning
University of Central Lancashire

Professor John Manning from the University of Central Lancashire's department of psychology, who first realised that sex hormone exposure in the womb influences finger length, agreed.

He said certain individual characteristics correlate better with finger length than others.

"For example, if you had a group of runners and they were about to start a race I could predict reasonably well who was going to win based on their finger length.

"But I would not be able to predict whether someone was neurotic or not."

He said Dr Hurd's findings were logical based on what we know about finger length, testosterone exposure and aggression, but said more research was needed to confirm the findings.

He said another recent study had found women exposed to higher levels of testosterone in the womb, and hence a more 'male' pattern of finger length, displayed more frustrated behaviour when answering challenging telephone calls than other women.

Post pictures of your hands, NOW!
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM       
wonky pseudoscience forum
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM       
what if are so aggressive you chop of bits of your fingers to make them the same length or comparitivly longer?

Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM       
It wouldn't make a fucking difference.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM       
Would certainly be funny to watch though.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM       
my middle finger is literally like 4 inches long, what does that mean when i flip people off it curves forward
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:05 PM       
Quote:
Giving the Finger

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew"). much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!" Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has radically changed to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with n intimate encounter.
It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird". And yew thought yew knew everything!!!

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM       
How many times are you going to post that?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM       
I've never posted it before. Were you anticipating repetition? :/

I just wanted to see how many "Really?"s that I'd get.

Wherever you go, there you are.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM       
My ring finger is only about 1/8 of an inch longer than my index.

I would've hoped that at 16 I would be able to pick up a small truck and swallow an egg whole.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM       
The post that Kelly made is BS. It would require super-human fingers to pull a Welsh longbow (draw weight ca. 120 lbs.), and besides that the middle finger was considered obscene for centuries prior. The Romans even called the middle finger "the vulgar finger", though the Latin term slips my mind. I've read a lot into the Battle of Agincourt, and I've never heard anything elsewhere about the fingers being cut off. Why not just kill the schmucks?

Besides that, 15th Century Middle English would have them say "we cannen yew pluck", where "we can fuck you" would be "we cannen ye fyck". My Middle English spelling isn't so good, but it would be something like that.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:08 PM       
The origins of this gesture are highly speculative. It is identified as the digitus impudicus ("impudent finger") in Ancient Roman writings. It was defined there as a gesture intended to insult another. It has been noted that the gesture resembles an erect penis. Ancient Romans considered an image of an erect phallus as a talisman against evil spells. As a consequence, displaying this gesture to another may not have been a pseudo-sexual insult but rather an insulting statement along the lines of – "I'm going to protect myself against your witchcraft, before you even start."

In Canada, showing the middle finger is called the Trudeau salute after Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau because of a famous photo of him giving the finger to some protesters. He was well known for telling people what he thought of them.

A popular, but apocryphal, story derives it from the gestures of English archers at Agincourt. The myth claims that the French cut off fingers from archers, and that the 'finger' was a sign of defiance by those who retained their fingers. The same story also claims that 'fuck you' is a corruption of 'pluck yew' since bows were made of yew, or the phrase "I can still pluck you!". While it has been debunked many a time, this story still crops up.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:32 AM       
My ring finger is only a little longer, but my middle finger is huge so I can flip the bird with gusto

ARTIST'S RENDITION:

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X

In Canada, showing the middle finger is called the Trudeau salute after Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau because of a famous photo of him giving the finger to some protesters. He was well known for telling people what he thought of them.
I have never heard anyone call it that.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:28 AM       
That's because Albertans just hate Trudeau

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM       
my index is longer than my ring fingers :<
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM       
same for meh. guess thats why im sucha frilly depressed girl :o but i also get frustrated answering challenging phone calls, whateva that means exactly.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM       
mew when are we gonna hang out next anyway ;<
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X

I have never heard anyone call it that.
neither have I.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM       
What if my right hand has a ringer finger 1/4th of a inch longer then my index, but my left hand's ring and pointer are the same size?

Would that make my right hand PURE MAN, and my left hand half man? Making my total being a quarter gay? And does this explain my preference for girls boarding on the tomboyish side of things?

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM       
isn't everyone's index finger longer than their ring finger? Unless you're a deformed, inbred flipper baby.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:58 PM       
Index finger is your pointer finger. Not the middle finger.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM       
NOT Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM       

The Damp Moose is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:51 PM       
On my left hand, my ring finger is about a half inch longer than my index, but they're about equal on my right.

I wonder if that has anything to do with me being left handed?