Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:27 PM        Going to my first music class tonight
I've alway's written my own basslines (never a cover to be seen) so tonight I've broken down and decided to hand my cards over to the devil and learn some covers. I dunno I've watched my friends make bands that where all originals but I just don't see that happening with all the tension that goes with that..."Hey, man I can write better stuff than that!" ....So I was going to try and get into a Led Zep cover band but...I tried listening to it and practicing and lost interest. I think the best thing is to pick some songs and practice them and get a second ear to help me to make sure that I'm not tone deaf and playing crappy. I'm kinda looking forward to school again.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM       
Good idea with the music lessons. You'll probably enjoy it. Learn as many scales as you can. And not just a scale where it's convinient. Everything!
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:10 PM       

Scales are boring
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:33 PM       
I just got back...20 minutes the guitar teacher wanked on his guitar the other 20 I got to play scales that I could do at home :/
Mocker

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:00 AM       
Bad teacher. Forget him, keep the book. Practise a lot, read on-line bass help tutorials so you know you're not practising wrong. It will be a shame to destroy your hands if you're doing something wrong. Have fun with scales, man. Make little songs while you play them, then displace them all a few tones up and down. Reinvent the little melodies you make, by turning them upside down and inside out. Play simple stuff and then play blitzing fast stuff and don't forget to scream along with the really high note. Dance, man. Practice can be fun.
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:40 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Practise a lot, read on-line bass help tutorials so you know you're not practising wrong.
Id have to disagree with that. Most online tutorial stuff, that I atleast find for bass, is just poorly written and mostly wrong. You should either find a good teacher(just get one thats been playing for a long time, I know it sounds dumb to judge on age but you will learn more than you well need to with some who has been playing for 20+ years.), or just download/buy videos. AND GET THE BASS GRIMOIRE!

Most bass teachers will try to show off a bit at first though. Try and get that WOW effect out of you. You know you have a bad teacher if after a few weeks, he trys to teach you the same shit over and over, and makes you play War songs.

But yeah, learn covers. Especially from your favorite bass player's bands. And learn as many techniques as possible, or until you find one you really like...
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by *FARTINMOWLER*

Scales are boring
:O Hey i have that book! i was gonna take a pic of myself and it but i cant find it anywhere
Its got a cool poster in it hasn't it? with a full size bass neck with notes and crap written on.

anyway back on subject i think getting lessons from someone is much better than reading books or online tutorials because with a teacher you can actually hear what you are supposed to be playing and if you get it wrong they can tell you what you are doing wrong. Also its a good oppotunity to jam with someone who is very skilled (usually).
Mocker

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 01:00 PM       
man not everybody can afford paying god knows how much money so they can jam with someone proficient. Besides, Fartin's been playing for a long long time, how completely off the mark can his playing be?
slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 11:57 AM       
I've got that book also; I cut the bass out of the poster and hung it on the wall.
I have to agree with Bobo about the BASS GRIMOIRE. It explained why a minor is a minor, something the other books never managed to sink in with me. They break down the scales step by step and show you how to play those scales in any position you want. I haven't found anything to beat it yet. Then again, it was the last instructional book I ever bought.
Just keep playing and experimenting with different techniques.