Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM        The New Nuclear Age
This is going on, as I type, about ten minutes away from me. Sleep tight, everybody.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0807-01.htm

'Dr Strangeloves' Meet to Plan New Nuclear Era
by Julian Borger in Bellevue, Nebraska

US government scientists and Pentagon officials will gather today behind tight security at a Nebraska air force base to discuss the development of a modernized arsenal of small, specialized nuclear weapons which critics believe could mark the dawn of a new era in proliferation.

Daryl Kimball, head of the Arms Control Association
The Pentagon has not released a list of the 150 people at the secret meeting, but according to leaks, they will include scientists and administrators from the three main nuclear weapons laboratories, Los Alamos, Sandia and Livermore, senior officers from the air force and strategic command, weapons contractors and civilian defense officials.

Requests by Congress to send observers were rejected, and an oversight committee which included academic nuclear experts was disbanded only a few weeks earlier.

The purpose of the meeting, at Offutt air force base, only became known after a draft agenda was leaked earlier this year, which included discussions on a new generation of low-yield "mini-nukes", "bunker-buster" bombs for possible use against rogue states or organizations armed with nuclear, biological or chemical weapons.

The session will also debate whether development of the weapons will require the White House to end the US moratorium on nuclear testing declared in 1992.

Major Michael Shavers, a Pentagon spokesman, said: "We need to change our nuclear strategy from the cold war to one that can deal with emerging threats."

He said the administration remained committed to the test moratorium (the US has not ratified the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, but has pledged to observe it). But he said: "The meeting will give some thought to how we guarantee the efficacy of the [nuclear] stockpile."

While insisting that it has no plans to resume testing, the administration has asked Congress for funds for a project that would cut down the amount of time it would take for the cold war-era test site in Nevada to start functioning again.

Yesterday, a steady stream of men in summer suits and uniforms arrived at Omaha airport, to be met by welcoming parties of air force officers and taken to the Offutt base, 10 miles to the south in the small town of Bellevue.

The lushly-landscaped base, where the gray shell of a B-52 bomber has been mounted behind a screen of fruit trees, sits atop a labyrinth of high-tech bunkers from where strategic command is poised, 24 hours a day, to fight a nuclear war. It inspired the setting for the 1964 film Dr Strangelove. It is where President George Bush was flown on September 11 2001, when it was thought that the terrorist attacks could be part of a sustained onslaught on the US.

The place and time of the Offutt meeting is infused with apparently unintended historical irony. The visitors arrived on the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing and the last will be leaving on Saturday, the anniversary of the attack on Nagasaki. The B-29 planes which dropped those nuclear bombs, Enola Gay and Bock's Car, were both built at Offutt.

The use of those weapons marked the beginning of the cold war and the first nuclear age. Today's meeting, many observers believe, could mark the start of a second.

"This is a confab of Dr Strangeloves," said Daryl Kimball, head of the Arms Control Association, a national non-partisan membership organization dedicated to working for arms control.

"The fact that the Pentagon is barring the public and congressional staff from this key meeting on US nuclear weapons policy suggests that the administration seeks to discuss and deliberate on its policies largely in secret."

The uncanny echoes of Hiroshima and Nagasaki did not go unnoticed by a handful of Catholic protesters from Iowa who have gathered at Offutt to mark the anniversaries for the past 25 years.

Blasphemy

Father Frank Cordaro, the leader of the protest group, said: "This is an American blasphemy to life and to God. They are going to violate another treaty by developing small nuclear weapons. We had made the promise not to do these weapons, but this sole superpower is just ignoring the non-proliferation treaty. That's madness."

Today's meeting traces its origins to a report by the National Institute for Public Policy (NIPP) published in January 2001 as the Bush administration took office. The report argued for a "smaller, more efficient, arsenal" of specialized weapons. Some deeply buried targets, it argued, could only be destroyed by "one or more nuclear weapons". Only by developing these new weapons could the US maintain its deterrent, it said.

Paul Robinson, the head of the Sandia weapons laboratory, who is attending the Offutt meeting, believes that America's new adversaries would be more successfully deterred if the line between conventional and nuclear weapons was blurred.

Senior jobs

He argued in a recent commentary in the Albuquerque Tribune that "military strategy is evolving to consider combinations of conventional and/or nuclear attacks for pre-emption or retaliation."

Many of the NIPP report's authors went on to take senior positions in the administration, including Linton Brooks, head of the national nuclear security administration which oversees new weapons projects, Stephen Hadley, the deputy national security adviser, and Stephen Cambone, undersecretary of defense for intelligence.

The report became the basis for the administration's Nuclear Posture Review in late 2001 which contemplated the use of nuclear weapons pre-emptively against rogue states, to destroy stockpiles of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

The officials involved in compiling both documents will play a prominent role at Offutt, but scientists and officials with dissenting views have not been invited.

"I was specifically told I couldn't come," a congressional weapons expert said.

Greg Mello, the head of the Los Alamos Study Group, a watchdog organization, said: "There will be tons of contractors there from the weapons labs and the weapons plants. Contractors can come, but Congress can't."

The Pentagon insists that today's meeting is technical rather than policy-making, but critics are concerned that it is being used to build up momentum behind the development of the weapons, despite opposition from Congress.

"I'm suspicious that further down the road, they're going to say 'this was decided at Offutt', or 'this comes out of the recommendations at Offutt', a congressional staff member said.

© Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM       
Quote:
This is going on, as I type, about ten minutes away from me.
Deadtoddlerville?
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:45 PM       
It seems pretty clear that the administration plans to chnage our view of Nukes from a deterent to something we intend to actually use.

I think it's high enough on their agenda to make it that much more important to defeat them.
UNODIR
KILLADEUCE sucks
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM       
The scarriest thing to me is what is going to stop another country from retaliating with a Real Full blown Thermonuclear device? -You know the ones that have like 200 miles of destructive radius I mean we drop some low-yield atomic with a 30 mile complete radius... Tactically it is sound. Move in , move out whatever... Making these fucking "Candy nukes" almost gives them excuse to drop a bomb... Kinda defeats the purpose of MAD and all that...

I dunno there are few things to me scarrier than a fucking nuclear war...... I can see it now:

"The vision dims and all that
remains are mememories.
They take me back - back to
the place where the black
pump sucked guzzolene from
the earth...

And I remember the terrible
battle we fought - the day we left that place forever...

But, most of all, I remember...
the courage of a stranger, ar oad warrior called Max.
To understand who he was you
must go back to the last days
of the old world ...
... when, for reasons long
forgotten, two mighty warrior
nations went to war ...
...and touched off a blaze
which engulfed them all.
...For without fuel they were
nothing. They had built a house of straw ...
people stopped In the streets and listened: for the first
time they heard the sound of silence.
Their world crumbled ...
And only those mobile enough
to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive

At last, the vermin had inherited the earth"

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM       
Somehow I'd sleep easier knowing they were making more big boys they have just for show instead of portanukes. Really, isn't current weapon technology not sufficient to destroy large parts of cities? Why do they grab for nuclear weaponry so enthusiastically?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:42 PM       
because the military scientists are all avid Unreal Tournament Redeemer whores.
UNODIR
KILLADEUCE sucks
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:32 PM       
FS I take the exact same stance, make a fucking earth shattering Geo Nuke that can shift tectonic plates and shit... All the major super powers have one each and we can go back to the Fear of MAD and be done with it-

Quote:
because the military scientists are all avid Unreal Tournament Redeemer whores.
HAhah No doubt man....
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:35 PM       
mini-nukes!? they love that term im sure.. but 'mini-nuke' isnt what im hearing about..

The 2004 budget request for nuclear weapons programs is $6.4 billion, an increase of almost $500 million over the current budget. (See www.trivalleycares.org.) It boosts funding for a host of new and modified nuclear weapons including the Robust Nuclear Earth Penetrator, a nuclear bunker buster with a top yield of more than 60 times that of the Hiroshima bomb. It also begins to explore where to construct a new plutonium pit manufacturing plant capable of turning out more than 500 bomb cores each year.

http://www.war-times.org/current/11art6.html

60 times more powerfull than the Hiroshima bomb? yow that aint mini!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:01 AM       
Well, thank God that money doesn't come from my tax dollars the way wellfare does. If I was paying for mini nuke developement, it might make me mad.