Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM       
edit: that's what i get for leaving threads open in tabs before responding to them
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM       
Psychonauts has a few topsy turvy levels if I remember right

And so does Megaman 3 :<
Forum Virgin
HellBeast is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM       
i love brawl but its just new characters, new lvls, and a shit version of a campaign. the cinimatics are ok but that dosent save it. it wasn't very innovative. meanwhile galaxy was very innovative....just not in a cool way. i just want games that are innovative but still keep some of the original type of gameplay. that way its new enough to spend time with but not so new that it isnt even the same game anymore.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM       
brawl is way more than new characters and new levels. have you even played it? or, have you played ssb, then ssbm, then ssbb to compare?

i kinda see your point about galaxy, but it does keep the original type of gameplay (enter world, collect stars, fight bowser). the levels weren't nearly as open ended as say sm64 (some completely linear), but to me it seems like all they really added was some new power ups and a crazy gravity twist that i'm pretty sure wasn't done to the extent it was in galaxy in any other game.

Last edited by bigtimecow : Jul 10th, 2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typos
Forum Virgin
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM       
actually i have played brawl. dont get me wrong i would rather play brawl than melee but there just isnt as much of a difference. and yes galaxy does stick to the stars/bowser thing but its still not the same. when super mario 64 came out they used the new 3-d gameplay to innovate the game. in galaxy they tried to use the new motion capture as the innovative element to the game but ended up making it crappy. id rather see some ne type of mario games, like mario rpg and the paper marios except with different genres. and no not a mario fps. maybe a mario rts? i dont know how but it would be cool. harvest coins as currency, defeat bowsers army with yours.
rockfuckcunt
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM       
i can't argue with a new mario rpg

ANYWAY, ONTO NEW THINGS

i watched a commercial for E3 on G4 and it was like "WHOA RESISTANCE 2, FALLOUT 3, RESIDENT EVIL 5"

FUCKING NUMBERS SEQUELSASDHASUH I WISH ORIGINAL GAMES STILL AMDE IT IN THE WORLD
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
People liked Resistance enough to warrant a second one?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM       
New IPs are difficult to get funding for.
rockfuckcunt
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM       
i said i wish :/
Forum Virgin
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM       
i cant wait for fallout 3. read a review of it in oxm magazine. looks pretty sweet to me.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM       
So I'm ranked 6th best player today in Strikers

OUT OF LIKE A THOUSAND THAT IS IMPRESSIVE

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jul 10th, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: :picklehat
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM       
I still haven't played strikers. Can you say it's any different than Mega Man soccer?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM       
I have no idea, as I've never played Megaman Soccer, but whenever I play Strikers I completely forget that I'm playing soccer with Mario characters. This is a god damn GLADIATOR'S ARENA and the other man is the living embodiment of douchebaggery that I have to mercilessly beat down using any means necessary. It's also one of the more brutally difficult games I've ever played. Certainly the most enraging, since the slightest slip up will often times fuck you up the bum immediately.

The basic gameplay boils down to an advanced round of hot-potato that is really satisfying in execution; you pass the ball between the members of your team to build up a "charge" that gives it a higher chance of scoring when shot at the AI controlled goalie. There are also a number of trickshots you can do, due to either shoddy or brilliant programming. I'm not sure which.

You get a team of four players, one captain as a major character from the various mario games, and three sidekicks as lesser denizens of the mushroom kingdom (Toad, Hammer Bros., Shyguy, etc.). When in posession of the ball, each character is able to do a special move by using the tackle button, and these range from incredibly useful (teleportation, flipping over enemy players) to complete wastes of effort. Captains have several different feats at their disposal; the normal deke, a character-specific item, and the megastrike. A megastrike happens when a captain charges up a ball long enough for a Tiger Woods PGA Tour esque shot meter to appear, which can yeild up to 6 shots on a goal at incredibly high speeds. This feature is virtually useless after a while, since if they don't take you down when you're charging or fiddling with the meter, most people are good enough to block anything you can throw at them. Sometimes MAGIC happens, though, and you'll score just enough to get out of an embarrasing defeat. So yes, it's a good thing to use when you can.

There's a lot of strategy in team choice and placement, and all of the captains are incredibly well balanced. Picking who to play really only boils down to which character you like, rather than which character is the best.

The online play is great, aside from a bullshit matchmaking system that guarentees new players are completely alienated until they get good enough in the single player mode, and gives you the choice of solo play against someone else or bringing a buddy in for a 2 on 2 match.

Wii functionality is kept to a minimum; you really only have to use the wiimote when you want to tackle someone else, done by being in the general area of the person you want to ruin and shaking the remote, or when you want to block a megastrike, which plays out like a lightgun style minigame; markers representing the shots made appear on the screen at three different speeds, depending on how well your opponent did in the strike meter, and all you have to do is point the remote appropriately and press A to block. Simple, but not always easy. When in co-op play, the choice for who blocks is random, and since there are multiple goals to be scored this is a big fucking deal.

Also, if the above summary seems like a lot of shit to remember, imagine having to do all of it at the speed of goddamn sound and you'll have a good idea of how overwhelming the game can be for new players.

tl;dr The game is incredibly fun, deep, and difficult.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM       
It kind of sounds like Megaman soccer. I wouldn't recommend playing it now though. 10 years ago it was a lot of fun. I might go rent Strikers on sunday though to check it out.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM       
I downloaded Megaman Soccer out of curiosity and couldn't even figure out how to move with the ball :<
SKATASTIC
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM       
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM       
I don't know, my Flashman guy wouldn't move, so I just ended up passing it all over the place
SKATASTIC
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM       
That's no good. Does it look pretty dated? Nostalgia is funny sometimes.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM       
I loved Megaman Soccer

Chojin and I are the probably best team online in Strikers (we now have SIX doubles-specific tricks :D ). I used to be at least in the top 20 of North American players. I played too much Brawl and I'm on a three-series losing streak against people that matter, but still average around a 10:1 ratio on ranked.

On the plus side, I beat Psycofoot a few nights ago and he's 240 - 2 on ranked. :D

GW, you should play again with us sometime. It's cool that you're playing the game like a giant round of keep-away now, it's essentially what I do too. Gimme your FC. :O

We still hate boo-dekers by the way, and there are no good players in doubles that aren't complete assholes.

Still play as Daisy, you louse? What's your team?

EDIT - Also, the characters aren't balanced. Not even close. Boo is by far the best sidekick in the game, DK can perform olympian feats of athleticism and while some captains can theoretically make a goal with their special, Daisy's is by far the easiest.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM       
Yes, and I've also got some skill as Wario. I love all his victory dances :<

442504-242019

I'm really still not that great at the game; I only got on the top 10 yesterday because I couldn't stop playing the fucking thing. I think I had around 80 games, 35 of them wins, 45 losses. I usually do way worse than that, with an average of 2 defeats for every victory.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jul 12th, 2008 at 12:32 AM.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM       
It's cool that you can appreciate it even if you're not winning every single game. It's also real cool that you're picking up Wario too. Everyone I play online only picks Daisy, DK or Diddy. I think Wario makes more groundshots and Jr. makes more air, so just work on charging on the ground and you'll be golden. You're more open for that half-court chip though, so stay sharp :O

I'll give you my FC when I get home, still on vacation till tomorrow night.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM       
Everyone online picks DK and nothing but Boos for sidekicks and I hate the shit out of it :<

I just really like Daisy, I'm not playing her because of the Crystal Smash goal or other secrets yet to be discovered. It is useful, though!

Also, part of my problem might be that I never modify my shots or passes to go through the air; I do everything on the ground because most of the time I've forgotten air stuff even exists. I tried Jr. as a second for a while and was horrible, that could be why.

EDIT: And ok, yeah, A few captains have unfair advantages and Boo is just plain STUPID. DK players are usually fagmosexuals, but the only captain who actually really bothers me is Petey. FUCK Petey.

What I meant by "balanced" was that it's possible to become good with any captain in the game, provided you use the right strategy. A few games against yesterday's Striker of the Day I had about half an hour ago made me think that I'm even better with Wario than with Daisy, which is a little retarded since I've played as him for like 2 games :<

Mabye my keep-away tactics just work better with a heavy captain?

Also, while it is ridiculously easy to score with Daisy's special, I think that's balanced somewhat by the fact that I NEVER FUCKING GET THE GODDAMN THING. Seriously, there must be a 1 in 20 chance of getting Crystal Smash, and most of the time it's the exact opposite of what I need.

I'm generally just a really unlucky guy, though, so mabye it's me and nobody else that this happens to.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jul 12th, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:01 AM       
Oh, Voltage, let me also mention that Strikers is home to wonderful moments such as THIS:

I search for an opponent in Ranked mode and am paired with someone who named his Mii "MADEUQUIT." I was prepared for him to be a complete douchebag, and I was right; 2 Boos, a Hammer Bros. and Waluigi as the captain. He caught me off guard the first game and did literally nothing but Boo Dekes while sailing around the field in haphazard patterns to confuse my tackling. Second game, I come back from a 2 point trail and beat him in sudden death with Daisy's Crystal Smash trick. Naturally, I made him watch all the replays.

Third game, he does the same as the last two, and gets two up on me with boo dekes. I respond with Hammer Bros. sinking it from half court and a Toad jump at the last second, which sends us into what I can only describe as the longest and most intense sudden death ever. We both must have made 5 fucking shots on the goal in the 2 or so minutes it lasted; we were frantically tackling the shit out of each other, trying and trying and trying to score. I got denied two Crystal Smash goals and a Toad jump, and he failed about 3 seperate Boo dekes and a Hammer Bros. skillshot. My heart was RACING. Finally, I pass my ball to Boo so I can set up Hammer Bros. and realize that I've got a completely clear line to the goalie. I glide over and effortlessly deke the ball in.

He disconnected. :>
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM       
I fucking hate WiFi just because disconnecting assholes can really damper your fun. 'Specially in Brawl, where you can't have less than 4 people in random play.

I'm glad Mario Kart Wii did it well enough so that I know Nintendo isn't TOTALLY clueless about online play. Now if only there was a little more balance with items. Then I'd be assed to log on once in awhile.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM       
You can have 3 people in Random play in Brawl, but not 2. Which was a shame for the millisecond it stopped lagging enough for me to connect to a few people, since I came across some really skilled players and wanted to TEST MY MIGHT against them without the interference of bots. Anyway, when they disconnect, they're supposed to be immediately replaced by bots so the game flow isn't broken.

Also, people who D/C in Strikers just make me laugh all over the place because of the hokey elevator music that plays and the idea of them being enraged enough to quit. Sure, I don't get a win on my counter or the +10 points I should have, but it's totally worth it.

Also, I still haven't played Mario Kart Wii for more than 5 minutes. Mabye when I finish my VICTORY GLASS of champaign I'll take you on.

Edit- Scratch that offer, I fucking hate this game.