Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM        Space Quest the Lost Chapter (fan-made game)
This has been out for a long time, but I never bothered to play it until recently. And my verdict: terrible.

I just had the idea that since it was spread around so much it was probably good. And of course it's not going to be as good as a regular Space Quest game. But taking all that into account, it still sucks ass.

While most of the backdrops and close-ups of Roger Wilco look fairly good (for a fan-made game), for some reason Roger is constantly shown with huge pronounced pecs and a sixpack. His actual in-game sprites look like blocks stacked upon each other. But what really kills it is, of course, the text. The intro is piled up with text windows full of unnecessary exposition. It's like:

You are lying in your sleep chamber. There is much astonishing plant life on this planet. But you can't see it cause you're not awake.

Any moment now you should be waking up.

You're starting to wake up.

You're awake.

But once you're actually exploring outside the ship and looking at stuff, it's:

There is a big tree in the background. There is nothing interesting about it.

There are some animals walking around. No, you can't pick them up.

You are in the jungle. There are plants.

The deaths are of Hugo's Haunted House quality. As in, you walk into a monster and a text window describes what happens to you. Plus, 'you are dead.'

OK, so I was very bored to try this out. Sorry for not providing a download link, but if someone doesn't know about this and wants to see for themselves, I'll go look it up somewhere.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM       
Oh yeah, as I understand it, it was made with the program AGI Studio, kind of a freeware engine for the first Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and possibly King's Quest games (I never played that last series).
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:41 PM       
I hope you're not dissing Hugo's House of Horrors. I LOVED those games. Damned good for shareware at the time.
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:44 PM       
The Hugo games were awesome.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:46 PM       
Damn straight. I loved those games back in the day and during a long weekend in may my buddy and I played hugo 3 at his house during the day before the next party started up. It took us like 20 minutes to beat, but still...

That was very funny. Well done.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM       
I can see where you're coming from. It's just that when, like me, you played the Space Quest series first and then ten years later played Hugo, the difference in quality is kind of striking.

I mean, Hugo's walking was just flipping his regular sprite back and forth. And I'm spoiled to the point where I can't be sastisfied with a character's death only being described. Well, unless it's in a text adventure.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM       
Hugo was l33t for the time.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:57 PM       
You've... never played King's Quest? NEVER?

King's Quest 6 is the height of adventure gaming.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 02:15 AM       
and what about quest for glory

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:25 AM       
I have never, though I have tried finding it for download.

Unfortunately, it looks like Sierra has eyes everywhere, and none of their classic series can be easily found. I wouldn't have played any Larry game past 1 if I didn't have Kazaa.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:54 AM       
I have King's Quest 1-7 on CD, but I don't know how to rip them into roms, and I don't think I can play them off their CDs with my emulation.

Bill Efting is probably a spambot
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:12 PM       
I have a majority of the Space Quest games (I am missing 6, unfortunatly)...the first 4 Quest for Glory games, and Kings Quest 6, which I must agree is one of the greatest adventure games ever.

I'd put up a torrent or something, but I am incredibly illiterate in the ways of your new fangled file sharing applications!
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I have King's Quest 1-7 on CD, but I don't know how to rip them into roms, and I don't think I can play them off their CDs with my emulation.
WTF.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM       
I have the actual purchased versions of the games, but I don't know how to rip the data into a file I can run independently and/or share with other people.

Better?
Resident Chimp
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM       
Yeah, because you can't really start talking about emulators and ROMs when referring to PC games.

I've never seen the disk you're referring to, but it should be possible to package the game individually, unless they're running them inside a special program. :/

You could just make an ISO of the entire CD.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM       
Well, I don't mean ROMs, exactly. But I've seen a lot of stuff on Underdogs that are games ripped from CDs to play on DOS emulators, so you don't need a disc to play them.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:24 PM       
PS - I see pretty much every adventure game ever available on Suprnova. I just don't know how they'd work (if you have to burn them to CDs or not, I mean). I haven't downloaded them.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM       
PPS - I forgot that King's Quest 3 had spells in it. I just downloaded it and started playing it again.

Unless you want to use a walkthrough, you need the instruction booklet for the game. It had spells that you need to use in the game, that you can't find IN the game. So if you ever play it and you need the spells, let me know.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:40 AM       
FS, play Space Quest Replicated if you want a very good fanmade space quest agi game.

I didn't like the lost chapter either...

Play Quest for Glory (Hero Quest, at the time) 1 by Sierra on Dosbox emulation or something. The EGA version with the parser, not the gay vga point and click version, and witness pure pc gaming perfection.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:12 AM       
and then play 2, 3, 4 and 5 with the same character since you can carry your character over from previous games :o

i love when games do that

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:48 AM       
I will check these titles out. Thanks.

I've been playing the VGA remake of King's Quest 1 a little (with point 'n click interface and voices and music), and it looks very pretty, but somehow I'd still prefer to play it EGA with parser interface.