Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM        Goss gets the heave ho
On a day when headlines once again read "Bush Poll #'s lowest of Presidency" Porter Goss gets the bum's rush.

What vile bag of evil do you suppose is being thawed out and juiced up to replce him even as I type? And what kind of Masochist woud want to climb aboard ths ship of state just now?
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM       
So this story gets really interesting.....

It looks like Goss may have been keeping company with pimps.....pimps who got a $21 million defense contract.

" The reports are that the FBI is probing whether Goss and agency Executive Director Dusty Foggo played poker with a defense contractor who was named as bribing California Rep. Duke Cunningham in a case aswirl with money and prostitutes. The contractor, a pal of Foggo's, wouldn't be the sort you'd want hosting your top spy." NY Daily News

The best part to this story, a couple of weeks ago the WSJ apparently broke the story that the guys who were bribing Duke Cunningham apparently paid for prostitutes and limo services for ol' duke. But not just Duke, acording to Harper's. I've added my own emphasis on the story:

http://www.harpers.org/sb-red-lights...itol-hill.html

"The two defense contractors who allegedly bribed Cunningham, said the Journal, were Brent Wilkes, the founder of ADCS Inc., and Mitchell Wade, the founder of MZM Inc.; both firms profited greatly from their connections with Cunningham. The Journal also suggested that other lawmakers might be implicated. I've learned from a well-connected source that those under intense scrutiny by the FBI are current and former lawmakers on Defense and Intelligence comittees—including one person who now holds a powerful intelligence post. I've also been able to learn the name of the limousine service that was used to ferry the guests and other attendees to the parties: Shirlington Limousine and Transportation of Arlington, Virginia. Wilkes, I've learned, even hired Shirlington as his personal limousine service.

It gets even more interesting: the man who has been identified as the CEO of Shirlington has a 62-page rap sheet (I recently obtained a copy) that runs from at least 1979 through 1989 and lists charges of petit larceny, robbery, receiving stolen goods, assault, and more. Curiously—or perhaps not so curiously given the company's connections—Shirlington Limousine is also a Department of Homeland Security contractor; according to the Washington Post, last fall it won a $21.2 million contract for shuttle services and transportation support. (I tried to contact Shirlington but was unable to get past their answering service.)"

Those must've been some poker games.

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM       
Sometimes I think that town is so corrupt that people would be unable to believe how bad it was even if God Himself came down and spelled out all of Washington's dirty secrets to them.

I hope I'm wrong.
Mocker
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM       
Be it ever so humble....
Mocker
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM       
Here's a follow up story on this (once again, emphasis added):

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-350961c.html

CIA boss Goss is cooked

Tied to contractor's poker parties -
hints of bribes & women

BY RICHARD SISK and JAMES GORDON MEEK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - CIA Director Porter Goss abruptly resigned yesterday amid allegations that he and a top aide may have attended Watergate poker parties where bribes and prostitutes were provided to a corrupt congressman.

Kyle (Dusty) Foggo, the No. 3 official at the CIA, could soon be indicted in a widening FBI investigation of the parties thrown by defense contractor Brent Wilkes, named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the bribery conviction of former Rep. Randall (Duke) Cunningham, law enforcement sources said.

A CIA spokeswoman said Foggo went to the lavish weekly hospitality-suite parties at the Watergate and Westin Grand hotels but "just for poker."

Intelligence and law enforcement sources said solid evidence had yet to emerge that Goss also went to the parties, but Goss and Foggo share a fondness for poker and expensive cigars, and the FBI investigation was continuing. ()

Larry Johnson, a former CIA operative and a Bush administration critic, said Goss "had a relationship with Dusty and with Brent Wilkes that's now coming under greater scrutiny."

Johnson vouched for the integrity of Foggo and Goss but said, "Dusty was a big poker player, and it's my understanding that Porter Goss was also there \[at Wilkes' parties\] for poker. It's going to be guilt by association."

"It's all about the Duke Cunningham scandal," a senior law enforcement official told the Daily News in reference to Goss' resignation. Duke, a California Republican, was sentenced to more than eight years in prison after pleading guilty in November to taking $2.4 million in homes, yachts and other bribes in exchange for steering government contracts.

Goss' inability to handle the allegations swirling around Foggo prompted John Negroponte, the director of National Intelligence, who oversees all of the nation's spy agencies, to press for the CIA chief's ouster, the senior official said. The official said Goss is not an FBI target but "there is an impending indictment" of Foggo for steering defense contracts to his poker buddies.

One subject of the FBI investigation is a $3 million CIA contract that went to Wilkes to supply bottled water and other goods to CIA operatives in Iraq and Afghanistan, sources said.

In a hastily arranged Oval Office announcement that stunned official Washington, neither President Bush nor Goss offered a substantive reason for why the head of the spy agency was leaving after only a year on the job.

"He has led ably" in an era of CIA transition, Bush said with Goss seated at his side. "He has a five-year plan to increase the analysts and operatives."

Goss said the trust Bush placed in him "is something I could never have imagined." "I believe the agency is on a very even keel, sailing well," he said.

The official Bush administration spin that emerged later was that Goss lost out in a turf battle with Negroponte, but Goss' tenure was marked by the resignations of several veteran operatives who viewed him as an amateur out of his depth.

White House officials said Bush would announce early next week his choice to succeed Goss. Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden, Negroponte's top deputy, heads the list of potential replacements, with White House counterterror chief Fran Townsend also on the short list.

Negroponte "apparently had no confidence" in Goss, and Bush's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board was also "very alarmed by problems at the CIA," said a congressional source involved in oversight of U.S. spy agencies.

"Supposedly the \[Cunningham\] scandal was the last straw," the source said. "This administration may be on the verge of a major scandal."
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM       
Poker? I just met Her!

My wife always insisted elected oliticians all had a whore budget. I guess she was right more than metaphorically.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM       
If that is true, let me once again state that I am in the wrong line of work.
Mocker
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM       
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194720,00.html

No. 3 CIA Official Steps Down From Post

Monday , May 08, 2006

WASHINGTON — The No. 3 man at the CIA is stepping down as executive director of the agency, senior U.S. officials told FOX News on Monday.

Kyle Dustin "Dusty" Foggo is the subject of an FBI investigation related to poker parties and possible use of prostitutes to curry favor with defense and CIA contracting officials. Investigators are probing whether San Diego-based defense contractor Brent Wilkes provided prostitutes to lawmakers or Foggo in order to win federal contracts.

The CIA sent out an e-mail to agency staff Monday afternoon announcing that Foggo was stepping down, but it did not say whether he was leaving the agency, U.S. officials said. Suggestions have been made that he will retire soon.

The e-mail said Foggo was stepping down because it was likely the new agency head would want to appoint his own executive director. President Bush nominated Air Force General Michael Hayden on Monday to be the next CIA director after Porter Goss unexpectedly resigned from the post on Friday. Goss brought Foggo into the agency, giving him control over CIA contracts.

Foggo is also the subject of a CIA inspector general investigation into a contract he awarded to a company operated by Wilkes, an unnamed co-conspirator in the bribery scandal of California Republican Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham. Cunningham is currently serving a federal prison sentence for taking $2.4 million from government contractors.

The FBI is reviewing records of suites Wilkes rented at Washington, D.C.'s Westin Grand Hotel and the Watergate for poker parties attended by Cunningham, other lawmakers, CIA officials or agents and defense contractors.

"The third in power at the CIA was at several of these games and was an active participant, and that one individual sent contracts to one of the co-conspirators who managed the game and paid for everything," alleged Keith Ashdown, vice president for Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Last week, the CIA released a statement on Foggo's behalf denying any improprieties. "Mr. Foggo maintains that government contracts for which he was responsible were properly awarded and administered," the agency said.

It acknowledged Foggo's attendance at poker parties at the hotel rooms, but said nothing untoward happened while he was there.

"If he attended occasional card games with friends over the years, Mr. Foggo insists they were that and nothing more," the CIA statement said.

Government watchdog groups say it appears defense contractors lost huge sums at the poker table with the expectation they would later reap millions in government contracts

"Tens of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars in defense contracts went to contractors that bribed their way to the top of the defense industry rather than earn it through producing good items for our men and women in uniform," Ashdown said.

Federal law enforcement officials have identified Wilkes as one of four unnamed co-conspirators who bribed Cunningham. Wilkes has not been charged with a crime, but the FBI is investigating if Wilkes, with the help of Shirlington Limousine and Transportation Inc. of Arlington, Va., made the prostitutes available. Both Wilkes and the limousine company deny any link to prostitutes.

Foggo approved a contract to a company owned by Wilkes to provide water, first-aid kits and other supplies to CIA agents in Afghanistan and Iraq. That contract is now the subject of the separate CIA inspector general investigation. Wilkes' attorney, Michael Lipman, has said Wilkes was not involved in any prostitution for contracts scheme. Those charges were raised by a second defense contractor who has pleaded guilty in the case.

Senior House Republicans call this new twist in the Cunningham case troubling.

"I am concerned about the reports that I have read. And I'm hopeful that the Justice Department will complete their investigation post-haste," House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Thursday.

On Sunday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi implied that Goss resigned under pressure because of links to the poker and prostitution investigation.

"I think that this dismissal was triggered by what has been happening on the scandal front for the Republicans with the third in command, who was hired by Mr. Goss, to be involved in these card games and whatever else it was," Pelosi said.

But Bill Gertz, a reporter at The Washington Times with close contacts at the CIA, said he believes Foggo's departure is related to Goss' resignation more than the federal probes.

"It's very likely he would have gone as are his circle of aides who have come under fire" in relation to the reforms Goss has been implementing at the CIA, Gertz said.

Meanwhile, lawmakers raised questions Monday about Department of Homeland Security contracts to Shirlington Limousine. Democrats on the House Homeland Security Committee sent a letter Monday to the department's inspector general questioning whether Shirlington Limousine was qualified to get the two contracts it was awarded by the department, one for $3.8 million in April 2004 and another for as much as $21 million over five years in October 2005.

The committee plans to discuss the contract at a previously scheduled May 18 hearing on contracts, hiring processes and security clearances.

"The information we've obtained raises a number of serious questions, from the contracting process to possible security concerns," said Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala., chairman of the subcommittee on management, integration and oversight. "The appearance of a lack of background checks on contractors is another troubling personnel issue at DHS that we are examining."

Homeland Security Department spokesman Larry Orluskie said the more recent contract with Shirlington Limousine, which is a $21.2 million pay-on-performance agreement of up to five years, is "performing exactly as expected."

Orluskie said the contract calls for 12 minibuses and 16 drivers to shuttle Homeland Security employees between the department's various offices in the Washington area. It also provides 10 additional drivers to chauffeur department executive staffers in Homeland Security-owned sedans.

FOX News' Major Garrett and The Associated Press contributed to this report.