Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditations
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
Mastodon - Leviathan
Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus - Simian Hybrid Prototype

Sooo goooood :O
adeptninja is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM       
Indeed thanks for telling me about the mastodon album after listening to it again it seems much cooler
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:01 PM       
Mastodon were better on the EP.

Tell us more about Karl Sanders and Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus (great name!)

Otherwise, a big 10 4 on Necrophagist, although I preffered their first album, the second one's still amazingly headcrushingly technical. Nasum, yes. PD, yes. Good month.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM       
I caught the new Converge album just this month too. Beats the bitch out of the older stuff.

Karl Sanders' new album is another egyptian project, but this one is more of an ambient soundscape kind of thing. It's very good. He uses all kinds of egyptian instruments and such, and manages to create great atmospheres with them. Think of the mellower aspects of Nile and you'll have a good idea what he's doing.

Bodies in the Gears are a sick little tech band who have had a demo out for a number of years, and just now got around to releasing a full length. They'll remind you of other tech bands (silly, long album and song names) with the demo, but they've obviously gotten some of the goofiness out of their system with this release. They're one of the fastest bands i've heard to date, and they whip up one hell of a frenzy in the brief 16 minutes that their album lasts for. Think of Agoraphobic Nosebleed crossed with Birdflesh and you'll get a pretty good idea of where they stand.

I accidentally deleted my Necrophagist instead of my Necrophobic, so i couldn't compare the new one to the old one really, but i do remember that i was also fascinated with the first album. I haven't gotten my hands on the new Nasum yet, so i can't say anything about it, but i didn't like Helvete very much when i listened to it. Come to think of it, i think i really only enjoyed Human 2.0.

Pyorrhea is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 02:50 AM       
nasum stopped being good after human 2.0, they started making more screamo-y tracks and over producing. Anyway, this kid tried to convince me that all grind was was improv... i proceeded to own his ass by playing scum by napalm death and suffer the children by said band, he then shut his ass up.

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 02:51 AM       
but yeah, the new necrophagist is really good. Helm, i know you play guitar, so check out the ferment offal discharge power tab at metaltabs.com its fucking perfect.
Mocker

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM       
Dude, I'm not even gonna attempt to play Necrophagist. But good luck. The most technical I can get is watchtower riffs, and then not 100% clean and always on the spot.

On other news, a week from now I saw Susperia (crap), Mortiis (more crap) and the newly reformed Obituary headlining. Whoever mixed up that bill needs to be shot. It's a small wonder Mortiis got out of there alive, but they did play a reduced set. Obituary. . . They were perfect. Tardy's voice was in great shape, much to everyone's relief, the drumming was perfect. Only West didn't seem like he was into it (just sitting there, playing his rifs and solos) but the rest of the band was really pumped by the second song when they saw what goes on in a greek metal live. Violence and bloodshed indeed. Speaking of which, I really got caught in a mosh bigtime in the encore and got punched and elbowed and kicked good. Anyhow, the set was a good 'best off' only they didn't play Find the Arise and Infected! I dunno. Still... great! A faulty guitar towards the end of Final Thoughts warranted for an improv drum solo that was awesome. A roadie held up another deep tom over the set to give Tardy a chance for some stage show. I really enjoyed them live. Even heard a new song. I hope they manage to stick together and do another album, since Obituary has NEVER done wrong in all their time (and nobody mention that anthology bullshit. Ask roadrunner).

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 03:01 PM       
well, i would say back from the dead was a pretty weak album, it still shits on anything else on roadrunner right now.
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM       
i forgot the new PD album was out

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 07:06 PM       
yeah, pig destroyer really pulled a linkin park on prowler in the yard. I dont mean it blew, i mean they took really long to release terrifier.

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 07:09 PM       
i dunno helm, some of the riffs on that song arent that hard, they also have a foul body autopsy tab at necrophagists home page.
Mocker

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM       
Yeah I checked and I can play a few of the death metal palm muted OH SUPRISE PINCH riffs. But that's it.

Old Oct 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM       
yeah, and the alternate picking intro, and the breakdown, but the rest is fucking insane, including the solo...
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:27 AM       
If i didn't need a program to look at them, i'd print the Necrophagist tabs and try to play them anyway. I'm starting with Zeke and Suffocation (Nirvana can suck my dick), so i don't think it would discourage me too much to see how many fucking notes can be crammed into one measure by this man.

Furthermore, i am obscenely envious of your trip to see Obituary. I am completely psyched to see them. I will go anywhere in the states if i have to, i simply MUST see them. I will kill babies to see this friggin' band. How much were tickets, anyway?
adeptninja is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 10:53 AM       
ninja you will never be good at guitar because your father beats you

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:41 PM       
he uses alot of economy/alternate picking riffs that are pretty advanced... obituary is actually a great start if you want to play metal, and early death.
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM       
Sorry for the weird bump, but if you're into the techy grind stuff similar to Bodies in the Gears you should also check out

Terminally Your Aborted Ghost
Gerbophillia
The End
Bucket Full of Teeth
twodeadslutsonegoodfuck

i was just digging through my mp3s and i noticed how these bands sounded a lot like bodies
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:10 PM       
speaking of insane bills, All Tomorrows Parties coming up soon. sunn0))), pelican, wolf eyes, silver mt. zion, shellac, lightning bolt, aphex twin, coil, members of minutemen all playing. plus a shitload of bands ive never heard of. haha! its going to be heavy boss. dole, are you going to this?

panopticon was also out october. clean vocals! fantastic.
Mocker

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM       
The clean vocals were out of tune, but it didn't really matter.

Go se pelican. They're awe. And wolf eyes and coil wee