Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:30 AM        Is there an easy way to get around copy protection on DVD
I want to make copies of some VHS home videos to DVD, but I can't. My Panasonic DMR-E50 won't let it on most videos, because they are copy protected.

It's driving me insane, because I can make as many VHS copies as I want of any VHS tape, but I can't cross over to DVD. I'd buy this shit if it CAME OUT on DVD, but it's not on DVD. So what else can I do? Am I stuck with this crap on VHS untill (IF) they come out on DVD? Is there a way to hack into my DVD recorder to make it not recognize the whatever copy protection has been put on a VHS/DVD?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM       
Do you have a Beta? You could probably do it with that... Or try copying the original tape to a regular tape first, and then transfering that tape to the DVD.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM       
I will tell you what I know...I have an old Panasonic omnivision VCR that can record any DVD and I alway's assumed that meant I could do it with other VCR's so I bought a new Sony VCR but it has something built in it to prevent me from taping, so what I am saying is that if you have a newer version VHS machine it might have something in it to prevent you from transfer. I would play around with it and make sure you are not going through a reciever!! it might be preventing transfer. Sony is the worst for blocking any form of tape copying
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:22 AM       
there are boxes that can disable macrovision
Mocker
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Do you have a Beta? You could probably do it with that... Or try copying the original tape to a regular tape first, and then transfering that tape to the DVD.
By Beta do you mean just the old Beta video cassette recorders? I don't, but maybe it would be worth a shot.

I have tried copying the tape to other tapes and trying to record from the copied tape, but that doesn't work.

I have a dual deck VCR that I bought a very long time ago (It cost 600 bucks at the time, I had saved like all my money to buy it; you can get them for a little over 100 bucks now at most places) and I have never been cockblocked by any kind of copy protection, whether I'm taping from DVDs, or rental tapes, or whatever.

whorable, is this box something that can be installed like a descrambler (which I don't know how to install but my friends had one and they made it sound so easy)? How would I obtain such a box? Are they expensive?

Sometimes it's just a problem because back when I used to make tapes of TV Shows or whatever, I'd put 10 seconds of black at the begining of the tape, just so that I don't end up cutting shit off the tape every time i make a copy. A lot of times I'd just put on a DVD, and pause it on a black sceen before the movie actually starts, and tape THAT for 10 seconds. So now I'm trying to convert some of these tapes to DVD, I end up cutting off the beginging of whats on the tape, because it won't let me record that black screen, just because it came from a DVD.
Mocker
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:05 PM       
well if you copied a tape to a tape, macrovison should be removed, at least i would think.

they boxes are fairly cheap liek 30 or 40 and basically the vcr would plug into the box and the box would plug into the dvd player.
Resident Chimp
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM       
Quote:
By Beta do you mean just the old Beta video cassette recorders? I don't, but maybe it would be worth a shot.
Yeah, I meant the old Betamax players. The copy protection on VHS wasn't compatible with them (which is why Beta disappeared from the market).

If you can get your hands on one, it's worth it if you copy lots of stuff.
Mocker
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoreable
well if you copied a tape to a tape, macrovison should be removed, at least i would think.
you thought wrong

Quote:
they boxes are fairly cheap liek 30 or 40 and basically the vcr would plug into the box and the box would plug into the dvd player.
What would I search for to find one of these boxes? do ALL dvds/vhs that use copy protection use macrovision, or do some use something else?
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:12 PM       
whorable help me!!!!
Resident Chimp
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:31 PM       
When you're at the book store next, rip out the back pages of Popular Science.
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:41 PM       
http://www.usbyte.com/common/dvd_to_vhs.htm

as far as i know all tapes that have copy protection use macrovision.

heres one i saw http://www.studio1productions.com/copymaster.htm

its a hundred busks though

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/copyenhancer.htm

hm... ill have to see my uncle bought one to copy dvd to vhs, i would assume it should work the opposite way too/../
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM       
whoreable it says on that page that the less-expensive one does not work for vhs-dvd and that you have to buy the $250 one
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:48 PM       
yea, i saw that too, i didnt look very hard but i am sure there are cheaper devices...

jixby,
I assume the tapes your are trying to copy are retail tapes or copies of retail tapes? or are these "home videos" really tapes you made forma camcorder?
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:23 PM       
"I assume the tapes your are trying to copy are retail tapes or copies of retail tapes?"

Yup.

I tried to convert "Andy Kaufman Plays Carnigie Hall" (paramount home video) to DVD and it wouldn't let me. I tried to convert GORP to DVD (the video is very old and I thought it would be no problem) and it wouldn't let me.

I also want to be able to go from DVD to DVD, because sometimes I'll be making compilation tapes or something and there'll be like a 30 second clip or something that I can only get from a DVD.

That 100 dollar one looks good, and I'd be willing to pay 100 bucks for this I'll just make the money back from selling illegal copies of HIGH SCHOOL HIGH or something. Have you ever dealt with that site before? Would there be any reason to be cautious buying from them?
Mocker
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM       
I have no idea aobut that retailer. I also have no idea about that particular product, iu would probayl do a bit more research first, if i get taht bored between calls at work today ill see what else i can find for you.
Resident Chimp
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM       
I read some of those websites that whoreable posted, and I understand why copying tapes to Beta first worked.
Mocker
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM       
http://www.studio1productions.com/copymaster.htm

I found this at Best Buy and I bought it. I didn't know you could buy things like this at Best Buy.

Anyway, so far it works great.

THANK YOU WHORABLE