Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:40 PM        Compulsory Education
Should school attendance be compelled?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM       
School, no. Education, yes. Parents should get to choose between shipping the kids off to the public (or private) diploma factory or teaching them at home, but they should be required to do one or the other.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM        Yikes
Around here co-ops are become very popular. Parents that get approved to homeschool are forming groups and teaching not only their own children, but the rest in the co-op as well. I've never seen such amazing children as the ones I see when I get the chance to help out.
I just wish that both public and private schools could do what these co-ops are doing.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:38 PM       
Home schooling in Alabama is much different....parents who are barely literate themselves are teaching their children because "GOD" has been taken out of the schools..... the word idiot doesn't these people justice. A lady I know home shools ther kids and there damn near retards...plus they have no social skills. It's really pathetic.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM       
So in a perfect world parents would have to submit an application to homeschool their kids and someone of at least basic intelligence would review them and keep the idiots from fucking up their offspring. In the real world, the kids with shitty parents probably don't have much hope whether they learn at home or in school, so there's not much that can be done short of taking the kids away entirely (and that's not an education issue).
The Center Square
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM       
Is the government overstepping its bounds by playing nanny, though?
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM       
No, the US government couldn't get away taking kids away from their parents unless they can bring a damn good case against the parents in court (and who's going to bring up the matter for investigation anyway). So as I said, kids of bad parents are probably screwed no matter what and it's not a matter of education. Unfortunate, really. It should be easy for the people in charge to declare parents unfit after a little bit of examination, and it should happen much more often. But it won't.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:56 PM       
Every kid who I ever knew that was home-schooled was a fucking retard. Hell, there were retards who were smarter than they were. I laughed and laughed and laughed when I saw a home-schooled guy struggling over some basic algebra in high school (apparently his parents thought that it would be good for him to get some exposure to the real system before university).

When you home school, you put your kids at a major disadvantage in almost every way.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:00 AM       
Only if you can't teach worth shit. Your experiences may say otherwise, but homeschooled students statistically do better than public school students in every area. There are two homeschoolers in the honors program at my college and both are ahead of most of our peers.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:06 AM       
What do you do for social interaction, though, hmm? Mommy, daddy and the TV. Every few weeks you go on a field trip to Grandma's.

Home-schooled kids are retarded. I have NEVER met one who was intelligent and/or a complete pompous asshole who thought they knew everything when they really didn't.

"It's nucleeeer not nucle-ar."

WTF. Fag.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:11 AM       
1) How many homeschooled students have you met?

2) What backwoods hick region were they from?

3) What makes you think homeschoolers never interact with people?

I have NEVER met one who was an idiot.
The Center Square
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:18 AM       
The criticism that homeschooling produces ignoramuses with no sociability is baseless. I've met several homeschooled kids myself, and not only are they among the best students I've ever seen, but they show absolutely no deficiency in social skills.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:54 AM       
I've only ever known one home schooled kid and he was a lot like the one AChimp described. :/
Were you homeschooled Perndog? I only ask because you said "our peers".
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:16 AM       
I meant our peers in college who fall behind the homeschooled students I know.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
1) How many homeschooled students have you met?

2) What backwoods hick region were they from?

3) What makes you think homeschoolers never interact with people?
1. About seven or eight, mostly in high school.

2. Canada

3. Because they don't.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:02 PM       
1. Not enough for an educated opinion.

2. There's your reason.

3. Bullshit. There were homeschooled kids on almost all of the sports teams at my high school, they were all very active with their church communities (wacko Christian families..sigh..), and by the time any of them were 15 they had jobs--brace yourself--in public, as lifeguards or camp counselors or whatever.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:47 PM       
bullshit, church activities, and whatever
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM       
Pretty much all the same thing.
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:30 AM       
public school is important for building social skills. They go outside at recess and lunch to play with and fight eachother. and since sbout 99.9% of kids go to public school, it doesnt give the home-school kids very many people to interact with.

And if a kid *is* being home-schooled its because the parents live too far from a public school or they dont want their kids anywhere near a public school. Your going to spend your life having to interract with other human beings if you like it or not and you have to teach these skills. Home-schooling lacks this.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:58 AM       
Playground fights and childhood bonding at lunch time are hardly essentials for healthy development and social skills. Most of the really intelligent people I know were quite solitary as children.

And you really don't know what you're talking about if you think homeschoolers never interact with people. If you think homeschooled students are so socially deficient as to be unable to function in the real world, you're just retarded (there are exceptions but they are indeed EXCEPTIONS). They go to church. They participate in sports. They play with kids in the neighborhood. When they're a little older, they get jobs because they don't have to waste seven hours of every day in school and two more hours doing pointless busywork. What they do miss out on is high school culture with its shitty role models, idiotic teenage politics, trends, and everything else about it.

Oh yeah, they miss prom and homecoming, too. Woohoo. I know plenty of people who were *in* high school and skipped prom and homecoming and all those oh-so-important public school events.
The Center Square
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Oh yeah, they miss prom and homecoming, too. Woohoo. I know plenty of people who were *in* high school and skipped prom and homecoming and all those oh-so-important public school events.
Interestingly enough, some homeschooling networks throw proms and dances for their students.

Quote:
Your going to spend your life having to interract with other human beings if you like it or not and you have to teach these skills. Home-schooling lacks this.
I've never seen any proof for the claim that homeschoolers end up socially deficient. It's just mindless rhetoric.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM       
Quote:
Playground fights and childhood bonding at lunch time are hardly essentials for healthy development and social skills. Most of the really intelligent people I know were quite solitary as children.
your intelligence level is not determined by what sort of school you go to or if you like to be a loner or not. and yes, romping around the school yard *is* important social skills. so is working in a classroom with other students. Working on group projects and helping eachother out on their studies is prepping them for the workplace. Not to mention it will get them used to the idea of complete strangers telling them what to do.

Quote:
I've never seen any proof for the claim that homeschoolers end up socially deficient. It's just mindless rhetoric.
and I doubt you have seen any proof otherwise too. If it was all figured out you wouldnt have started this thread in the form of a question.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM       
Children learn better by mingling and observing their peers than they do from authority figures. You can pick up any psychology textbook to read more about that.

Mom and dad are not peers.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Children learn better by mingling and observing their peers than they do from authority figures. You can pick up any psychology textbook to read more about that.

Mom and dad are not peers.
and to add to this, mom and dad arnt people kids would normally use as mentors or role models. Children also have to learn that the world is much larger than the size of their back yards and they should be exposed to this at an early age.
The Center Square
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesobe
and I doubt you have seen any proof otherwise too. If it was all figured out you wouldnt have started this thread in the form of a question.
Check back a few posts, chumley:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I
I've met several homeschooled kids myself, and not only are they among the best students I've ever seen, but they show absolutely no deficiency in social skills.
So yeah, I have seen proof otherwise, dick.