Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 02:59 PM        JLA/Avengers
Okay, I know it's trashy as all get out, but it's good trash. Although the writing is about as good as a professional wrestling match, the artwork is spectacular.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:49 PM       
I have to admit I've never read any Busiek before this, not even Astro City. But I'm enjoying this cheese fest immensely. It seems to me that he's going out of his way to make this as cheesy as possible...is that the case or does he ALWAYS write like this?
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 09:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown
I have to admit I've never read any Busiek before this, not even Astro City. But I'm enjoying this cheese fest immensely. It seems to me that he's going out of his way to make this as cheesy as possible...is that the case or does he ALWAYS write like this?
'Astro City' is, by far, Busiek's best work. Then, his run on 'Avengers' with George Perez comes second.

No, he's just caught up in the grandness of this event. What has really impressed me so far is that every character that's appeared in the series has spoken in a way that is unique to him/her. Superman talks like Superman. Captain America talks like Captain America. Batman is Batman. Busiek certainly has a good grasp of the personalities of the characters he's writing.

This series follows the same basic plot line of all major superhero team-ups/crossovers. Two teams meet, they have a misunderstanding, the beat the crap out of each other, eventually realize who the real enemy is and unite to stop him/her/them. It's how Busiek and Perez are getting us there that makes it fun. I like all the little moments of interaction the heroes have with each other and with the respective Marvel and DC universes. The best one has to be when Batman, after admonishing the rest of the JLA not to interfere with Earth events upon the team's first foray into the Marvel univerese, beats the crap out of the Punisher.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:34 AM       
I think my favorite part was when Captain America thought that Superman was a fascist who was ruling Metropolis under his oppressive fist...he IS after all, the Ubermensch.

And personally...I don't think Batman would have stood a chance against Frank Castle, but that's just me.