Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM        Bolton Resigns
I guess this means Bush really is Bi-partisan. I mean, it shows he's willing to look at a situation he cannot win at all and after a lot of bluster and posturing he can sort of accept at some point that even if he holds his breath he still isn't going to get what he wants.

It's GROWTH!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Bush Accepts Bolton's UN Resignation
Â*Â*Â*Â*By Terence Hunt
Â*Â*Â*Â*The Associated Press

Â*Â*Â*Â*Monday 04 December 2006

Â*Â*Â*Â*Washington - Unable to win Senate confirmation, UN Ambassador John Bolton will step down when his recess appointment expires soon, the White House said Monday.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Bolton's nomination has languished in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for more than a year, blocked by Democrats and several Republicans. Sen. Lincoln Chafee, a moderate Republican who lost in the midterm elections Nov. 7 that swept Democrats to power in both houses of Congress, was adamantly opposed to Bolton.

Â*Â*Â*Â*President Bush gave Bolton the job temporarily in August 2005, while Congress was in recess. But the appointment expires when Congress formally adjourns, no later than early January.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Although Bush could not give Bolton another recess appointment, the White House was believed to be exploring other ways of keeping him in the job, perhaps by giving him a title other than ambassador. But Bolton informed the White House he intended to leave when his current appointment expires, White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Bush planned to meet with Bolton and his wife later Monday in the Oval Office.

Â*Â*Â*Â*As late as last month, Bush, through his top aides, said he would not relent in his defense of Bolton, despite unwavering opposition from Democrats who view Bolton as too combative for international diplomacy.

Â*Â*Â*Â*The White House resubmitted Bolton's nomination last month. But with Democrats capturing control of the next Congress, his chances of winning confirmation appeared slight. The incoming chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Democratic Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, said he saw "no point in considering Mr. Bolton's nomination again."
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM       
Wait, didn't Bolton JUST become UN Ambassador like two years ago?

Sry but I don't keep up with this stuff :<
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM       
He was appointed out of session, which means he needed to be confirmed by the new Congress. He knew he would be a casualty of the Dem. Congress, no question.

So who should take his place?
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM       
I suggest Geggy. Just for kicks. I wanna see how he deals with Korea. But seriously I wouldn't Mind Condoleeza Rice getting a more permanent role in international politics.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM       
I'd say that would be a demotion from SecState. It will most likely be an experienced person who is part of the team. Wolfowitz? Nah, this is more of a mouth piece position. It'll probably be someone who is currently semi-obscure.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage the Cowardly Dog
I suggest Geggy. Just for kicks. I wanna see how he deals with Korea. But seriously I wouldn't Mind Condoleeza Rice getting a more permanent role in international politics.
ROFL

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM       
Wasn't Jeanne Kirkpatrick UN ambassador during Iran Contra? Is she still alive? 'Cause she's almost as much of a ballbuster as Bolton, and plus it would be in keeping with the new theme the Whithouse has got going.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:05 AM       
Max killed her.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM       
I can't remember who all else, but it seems to me like I've done this before. Brought someone up and then they croaked like right after.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM       
Holy shit! I figured it was true, but I didn't know it was just-this-very-minute true.

Max, let me send you a few other names to mention aloud. I've amassed quite a list of my own.