Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:27 PM       
For the sake of argument, okay, though I think the stovepiping of intelligence, the outsourcing of interrogation and the dominance of the Pentagon over both State and CIA point to a different conclusion, but for arguments sake...

Now that we know our SUV's are unarmored and we're in urban combat, might we not make a really good effort to armor them? And don't say we are, because after the last time W said that, HUMV said they were perfectly capable of doing a lot more a lot faster and had said so before.

Now that we know we are torturing people, might we not want to cut it the fuck out? Now that we know people finding out we strip pisoners and make them blow each other was kind of bad PR, might we not want to stop doing shit like that?

It's one thing to say that stuff like that has been going on secretly for a long time. It's no secret now. What say we start actually taking reality into account?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
For the sake of argument, okay, though I think the stovepiping of intelligence, the outsourcing of interrogation and the dominance of the Pentagon over both State and CIA point to a different conclusion, but for arguments sake...
I'm not so sure how micro-managed the intelligence community is and how much free-lance is involved.

Quote:
Now that we know our SUV's are unarmored and we're in urban combat, might we not make a really good effort to armor them? And don't say we are, because after the last time W said that, HUMV said they were perfectly capable of doing a lot more a lot faster and had said so before.
That's a pretty massive under-taking on short-notice. Your talking about not only changing equipment but the whole doctrine of how we fight and what we fight with.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM       
As in...

"(AP) - Videotapes of riot squads subduing troublesome terror suspects at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay show the guards punching some detainees, tying one to a gurney for questioning and forcing a dozen to strip from the waist down, according to a secret report."

See, in 42 years I've seen a hell of a lot of riot conrtrol and I've never seen rioters stripped from the waist down.

What is it about us that we are DESPERATE to see Iraqi genitalia? Is there some official doctrine that says

"The best way to win the hearst and minds of the Iraqi people than to let them know we really want a look at their men's cocks."

"Freedom and forcing guys to show you their genitals is on the march!"

"The Iraqi people will welcome us with open arms and dropped trousers. Especially the prisoners"

I'm not saying that taking a guys pants off is torture or even that bad. I'm just saying, if we don't know by that in Ahbu Garib there are NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which TAKING A GUYS PANTS OFF is going to play well, it's because we are retarded.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM       
Quote:
"The Iraqi people will welcome us with open arms and dropped trousers. "
New sig. Thanks again, Max.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:30 AM       
I am so completely there for you.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM       
Quote:
As in...

"(AP) - Videotapes of riot squads subduing troublesome terror suspects at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay show the guards punching some detainees, tying one to a gurney for questioning and forcing a dozen to strip from the waist down, according to a secret report."

See, in 42 years I've seen a hell of a lot of riot conrtrol and I've never seen rioters stripped from the waist down.

What is it about us that we are DESPERATE to see Iraqi genitalia? Is there some official doctrine that says

"The best way to win the hearst and minds of the Iraqi people than to let them know we really want a look at their men's cocks."

"Freedom and forcing guys to show you their genitals is on the march!"

"The Iraqi people will welcome us with open arms and dropped trousers. Especially the prisoners"

I'm not saying that taking a guys pants off is torture or even that bad. I'm just saying, if we don't know by that in Ahbu Garib there are NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which TAKING A GUYS PANTS OFF is going to play well, it's because we are retarded.
Aren't the people in Guantanamo Bay mostly captured combatants from the Afghanstan war or did they start putting Iraqis there too?
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:49 PM       
Troublesome terror suspects in Iraq just get shot. They get to keep there pants on.

Four shot dead in Iraq jail riot
Abu Ghraib Prison, Iraq
The US says it holds about 7,000 inmates in prisons across Iraq
Four prisoners have been shot dead by US guards during a riot at an Iraqi jail, the US military has said.

The trouble blew up at the Camp Bucca prison in southern Iraq, after a routine search of cells, the US military said in a statement.

The riot "spread to three additional compounds", and lasted 45 minutes before guards opened fire, it said.

An investigation has been launched into both the unrest and the use of force to deal with it, the military added.

Six other prisoners were injured in the unrest at the prison, near the port of Umm Qasr, the military said.

'Increasingly volatile'

The statement said prisoners were "throwing rocks and fashioning weapons from materials inside their living areas".

"Guards attempted to calm the increasingly volatile situation using verbal warnings and, when that failed, by use of non-lethal force," it said.

"After about 45 minutes of escalating danger, lethal force was used to quell the violence."

Elsewhere in Iraq, three US marines were killed in a roadside bombing south of Baghdad.

The military said the three were conducting a security operation in Babil province when they died. It gave no further details.

An internet warning purportedly posted by the Iraqi wing of al-Qaeda, run by the wanted Jordanian militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has vowed to continue its struggle despite Sunday's election, which it dismissed as an "American game".

"We in the al-Qaeda Organisation for Holy War in Iraq will continue the jihad until the banner of Islam flutters over Iraq," it said.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:39 PM       
I was referring primarily to the incidents at GTMO, btw. If you are including the case of Abu'Grab (sp?), then yes, I agree that that was horrendous, uncalled-for and doesn't represent the military, imho. I still want to see how far up the chain THAT goes, or whether the soldiers at the bottom will be the scape-goats and that will be the end of it.

Wherever you go, there you are.