Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 02:00 PM        BREAKTHROUGH IN DEMOCRATIZATION OF IRAQ!
Al Arabiya ordered to shut down in Baghdad

MOSUL, Iraq (CNN) -- The Iraqi Governing Council ordered the Arab language television network al Arabiya to shut down its operation in Baghdad on Monday, sending the Iraq Interior Ministry to the network's headquarters to "seize their uplink and transmission equipment until further notice."

"This is in response to their broadcasting the full Saddam Hussein audiotape" released November 16, according to a spokesman for Jalal Talabani, the council's president.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:34 PM       
let freedom ring!
i'm sure that'll help the iraqi's taste thier liberation
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 05:26 AM        we don't allow anyone to publish just anything here either
The Sedition Act of 1798
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Act in addition to the act, entitled "An act for the punishment of certain crimes against the United States. "

SEC. I Be it enacted . . ., That if any persons shall unlawfully combine or conspire together, with intent to oppose any measure or measures of the government of the United States, which are or shall be directed by proper authority, or to impede the operation of any law of the United States, or to intimidate or prevent any person holding a place or office in or under the government of the United States, from undertaking, performing or executing his trust or duty; and if any person or persons, with intent as aforesaid, shall counsel, advise or attempt to procure any insurrection, riot. unlawful assembly, or combination, whether such conspiracy, threatening, counsel, advice, or attempt shall have the proposed effect or not, he or they shall be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and on conviction, before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, and by imprisonment during a term not less than six months nor exceeding five years; and further, at the discretion of the court may be holden to find sureties for his good behaviour in such sum, and for such time, as the said court may direct.

SEC. 2. That if any person shall write, print, utter. Or publish, or shall cause or procure to be written, printed, uttered or published, or shall knowingly and willingly assist or aid in writing, printing, uttering or publishing any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress of the United States, or the President of the United States, with intent to defame the said government, or either house of the said Congress, or the said President, or to bring them. or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States, or to excite any unlawful combinations therein, for opposing or resisting any law of the United States, or any act of the President of the United States, done in pursuance of any such law, or of the powers in him vested by the constitution of the United States, or to resist, oppose, or defeat any such law or act, or to aid, encourage or abet any hostile designs of any foreign nation against the United States, their people or government, then such person, being thereof convicted before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars, and by imprisonment not exceeding two years.

SEC. 3. That if any person shall be prosecuted under this act, for the writing or publishing any libel aforesaid, it shall be lawful for the defendant, upon the trial of the cause, to give in evidence in his defence, the truth of the matter contained in the publication charged as a libel. And the jury who shall try the cause, shall have a right to determine the law and the fact, under the direction of the court, as in other cases.

SEC. 4. That this act shall continue to be in force until March 3, 1801, and no longer....
Mocker
camacazio is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 10:47 AM       
That was repealed, hombre, by the crafty Jefferson and his Virginia and Kentucky resolutions.
Mocker
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:17 PM       
that doesn't negate my point. and there are plenty of things you still aren't allowed to do on the air, else we wouldn't have the FCC.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:38 PM       
If you wanted to make that kind of point, why didn't you just mention that the Federalists didn't support a Bill of Rights.
Mocker
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:45 PM       
Because I'm irrational.