Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM        Why are U.S. officials meeting with Syria?
Nancy Pelosi was there today, and a few Republican reps. were there this week. President Bush urged both parties not to go, if I'm correct.

http://counterterrorismblog.org/2007...icials_mee.php

Why Are American Officials Meeting With Terrorists' Supporters?

By Andrew Cochran

The internet sites and cable TV shows are buzzing about the visit by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Syria today. She's not the only Member of Congress meeting with the Assad regime - three Republican Congressmen, including the normally sensible and reliable Rep. Frank Wolf of Virginia, also met with Assad this week against the express wishes of the Bush Administration. Do the four of them remember that they voted for the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2003? The "Findings" in that Act include: "Terrorist groups, including Hizballah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine--General Command, maintain offices, training camps, and other facilities on Syrian territory, and operate in areas of Lebanon occupied by the Syrian armed forces and receive supplies from Iran through Syria." and "The Government of Syria is pursuing the development and production of biological and chemical weapons and has a nuclear research and development program that is cause for concern." Did Speaker Pelosi, second in line to succeed to the office of President of the United States, forget what she said on October 15, 2003, when she supported the Act? "The people of Israel and the cause of peace in the Middle East have been the traditional targets of the groups helped by Syria, but today’s attack on the U.S. convoy in Gaza is a reminder that the United States, and our interests around the world, are foremost on terrorist target lists." What possible good could come out of meeting with Syria and why send the unmistakable signal that the Act was a mistake? I called three of the Congresspersons' offices to ask for an explanation and received no response.
But there's no need to limit this criticism to just Congress. One top Bush Administration official, DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff, invited Dr. Yahya Basha to set up a dinner with Muslim Americans in Detroit in February. Does Secretary Chertoff know or care about Dr. Basha's past and that of the organizations with which he has associated for years? Dr. Basha is a board member of the Muslim Public Affairs Council in Los Angeles and was the president of the American Muslim Council, two groups with a long history of associations with terrorists and their supporters. For instance, the AMC is now defunct because its founder and chairman, Abdurahman Alamoudi, was convicted for plotting to kill the Saudi Crown Prince. According to the Treasury Department, Alamoudi had "a close relationship with al Qaida and had raised money for al Qaida in the United States." Basha personally refused to support the Afghanistan campaign to remove the Taliban and Al Qaeda after the 9-11 attacks.
MPAC's "senior adviser," Maher Hathout (also president of the Islamic Center of Southern California), called Israel "the apartheid brutal state" and a nation of "butchers," and accused the United States of committing state terrorism. He also raised funds to defend a convicted cop-killer, the militant formerly known as H. Rap Brown. On March 12 of last year, Hathout spoke at a fundraiser for Sami al-Arian, who ran Palestinian Islamic Jihad from his offices at the University of South Florida and was ultimately convicted of funding PIJ. MPAC consistently criticized the Treasury Department and the Bush Administration for freezing the assets of the charities in the U.S. used to funnel money to the terrorists.
The dinner raises serious questions whether the Secretary of Homeland Security has any idea against whom we should set up our homeland security.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:31 AM       
Startlingly enough for everybody but Abcdxxx, I'll throw my support in for this, at least to a certain degree. Kevin, I'll ask you to remember why it is that Senators and Congresspeople don't get elected to high office: their job requires them to contradict themselves almost daily. Something like the above Nancy P quote is really not something you'd want to base your entire argument against her upon. Don't get me wrong... I can't stand the little commie bitch, but I'm at least somewhat encouraged to see her doing something other than the same old ABB, anti-Republican brawling rut she's forced the D's into for the past 4 years or so.

I like to think of this as the start of the D's owning the real world situation to some degree, and the R's trying to counterweight that effort. I have no problem whatsoever with our people talking to Syria and/or Iran, simply because I understand that our country has no interest whatsoever in the actual day to day leadership of the middle east as a region after the "war is over." Our "victory" is going to require leaders of that region to step up and participate in a positive way, and you're not going to get that to happen by bombing the shit out of everybody in a turban.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM       
If Democrats want to dictate foreign policy, then win the presidency. Same goes for the Republicans who went there.

I don't blame them for WANTING to create a new policy, because our president has failed to articulate a strong policy on these matters. However, they (especially Pelosi) undermine the Executive Branch (we'll still apparently have this after 2008, I hear) by going over there, despite the president's wishes. It tells a petty puppet like Assad that we have no clear voice, no clear policy and that we're nothing to fear. LBJ once said he'd rather have his enemies inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside the tent pissing in.

This certainly isn't the first time this has happened-- Bill Richardson took it upon himself to speak with dictators and thugs all of the time. But Syria plays a DIRECT role in the financing of terrorism. They undermine our efforts in Iraq, and support groups that threaten our allies. Bush's inability to govern doesn't give the Speaker, nor random members of the House (who also voted for the Syria Accountability Act, btw) the right to set their own agenda independent of the Executive Branch.
=======

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
This certainly isn't the first time this has happened--
I live in Jimmy Carterland.

While I agree with you almost entirely on procedure, I still say that this event gives the bad actors a broader other-than-violence road into the future. They think that they will have no place in a free society, because they have falsely assumed that a Democracy in [insert middle eastern shithole here] will necessarily be nothing more than an American colony.

Yes, they are thugs, but they are thugs that will need to someday loosen if not completely let go of the reigns of their dictatorships, hopefully without us having to destroy their respective countries infrastructures first.

I believe globalism is a juggernaut. I would compare the economic force of globalism to the military force of America, where Iran and Syria play military proxy of globalism's critics. The best the bad guys can hope for is to stall progress for a short time. They can use that time to try and jockey for better positions in a future that's better than the one they were hoping for, but the clock is ticking.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM       
Quote:
I would compare the economic force of globalism to the military force of America, where Iran and Syria play military proxy of globalism's critics.
That was so bad, I have the urge to use an emoticon.
Mocker

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM       
Politicians have decided that brokering mid-east peace would be the golden ticket (ask Jimmy Carter why). My hunch is the second US officials got a hint that the rumors of Syria-Israel negotiations might be true, they tripped over themselves for a photo op with Assad. Now if there's a strike on Syria (which is almost inevitable) Pelosi can put up face that she did everything in her power, and appeal to her anti-war constituants.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM       
I like how conservative talk shows and Fox News are only reporting Pelosi's visit, and not that of the Republican Reps. Hmm...
Mocker

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM       
Well they're not reporting that Tom Lantos is there specifically either, and he is a Democrat last I checked. So there goes that theory.

They're focusing on her the same way they focused on Newt Gingrich when he was being accused of attempting a shadow Presidency. They're also focusing on her because she's a woman, who just managed to undermind Syria's reformist women's movement.
=======

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx View Post
That was so bad, I have the urge to use an emoticon.

Ok, you troll.

When you feel like backing up your comments, fell free to do so.

Your pathetic whining and transparent bigotry causes my finger to hover over the ignore button sometimes. I get it. If it's got a dot or a towel on it's head, it's the Borg.

Run go make up a character that lives in Israel to agree with you, or maybe find an op-ed that supports your notion that Islam seeks to be the Fourth Reich...