Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM       
The reason Lost In Translation wasn't my cup of tea is because it got depressing towards the end and right now I'm going through some shit and the film kinda brought me down a lil.

If I had watched this film maybe a few years ago, when I was fairly content with my life, I would have loved every minute of it.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM       
What Bill Murry really said in her ear at the end of the film...

"Youhavesomethinginyourearomisoluosism"
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:03 PM       
LOL! Omisoluosism! What are we going to do with you, FartinMowler?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog

Hugh_Bristic is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:57 PM       
What’s with all this “you didn’t get the movie and that’s why you didn’t enjoy it” business? I got it. And admittedly, I’m a little annoyed that because I stand by my belief (that it’s not a good/great movie), you automatically – and dangerously – assume I don’t have the mental capacity to wrap my tiny brain around the concept.

I realise that much, if not all, of what I say, will be disregarded (something that makes me cautious about even replying), because, let’s face it, it’s nearly impossible to talk to people who either 1.) always, always, always think they’re right or 2.) fail parlously at being objective.

If you’re saying that the movie is aces because you identified with it, that’s perfectly okay. But a second viewing, a billionth viewing, won’t turn it into a good movie if it’s not. The excuse that we who didn’t think it was tops, are idiots, unable to connect the dots you cinematic reviewing geniuses seem so easily and adept to doing, is crap. The film isn’t supposed to appeal to everyone? On some level, don’t you think that truly good/great films do just that? They break and transcend barriers so that everyone can enjoy them?

The crux of all this is: Be objective about things you’re so quick to call good or masterful. Analyse them, put them through scrutiny. If they fail the test, then don’t use such colourful adjectives.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM       
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0385...AQ#reader-link

The crappy paper back looks more interesting. Teh story is some what different :/

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 06:06 PM       
Hugh, there are always those movies which meet or stray from our personal tastes. I'm sure we all have movies in which we can't understand why other people like them. Movies that are considered "Classics" that we find boring and lame. There are also movies that everyone else seems to hate that we think are pretty good. It's a matter of taste, really. But you got a lecture from Tenenbaum and PJ because of your statement:

Quote:
If Coppola's objective was to make the viewer feel dismal in the sense that they identified with... weariness or mediocrity, or that sick, empty feeling, then she easily accomplished that feat.
When you said this, it probably registered that you didn't appreciate the movie because you didn't understand it. It isn't an attack or a stab at your intelligence, just that they didn't see in it what you saw in it. Personal preference, really.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by *FARTINMOWLER*
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0385319444/ref=sib_rdr_bc/102-4207181-1409728?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S0AQ#reader-link

The crappy paper back looks more interesting. Teh story is some what different :/
You have to be joking; there is no way you are that stupid.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM       
It has been fun flogging this dead horse :/
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM       
ps. the book and movie have nothing to do with each other, except the name. the film is not based on the book, you fucking moron.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM       
PS. I knew that when I found that out yesterday when I looked up "Lost in translation book" and found a dozen books with that name... Oh, and I like Wilco so, piss off.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 11:38 AM       
You could say that they were going to make the movie from the book, but the whole thing was Lost in Translation

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM       
Royal did you really get this film? Edit out all the garbage: The pool scene, going to the hospital, karoake with her friends, the exercise machine and many other scenes that "I" thought where fill and if they where edited out this would not have been a movie. The phone conversation's with Bill Murray's film wife where so fake to lull the watcher into thinking "oh, this is why he is so lonely" "Oh this is why he ends up screwing a crappy bar singer instead of a young girl 30 years his juniour" Gimme a fucking break
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM       
those parts were not garbage. they developed character and set pace. just fuck off already.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:02 PM       
Pace? OOh lip... Lip my stalkings :/ EDIT

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues...l/1/index.html

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:20 PM       
The only thing worth looking at in your link was the personal ad of the day: "A young Farrah Fawcett"
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:35 PM       

Celebrity I resemble most: "A 1970s Farrah Fawcett?"

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:47 PM       
just because a person thought a movie of some sort sucked doesnt neccessarily mean he didnt understand it. just because a person didn't understand the movie shouldnt make him think the movie sucked. how would the person know if the movie sucked if he never understood it in the first place anyway?
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM        Let's get to the meat of this issue..
I just saw this film this weekend, and I have but one question :

What was up with the gun guy at the party? They are having a good time, then some guy comes out with some cool gun that shoots glow in the dark bullets, and then everybody runs off and he chases them and then throws a beer at the guy. What happened? Did I miss something? And more importantly, what kind of gun did that guy have and where can I get one?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:23 AM       
That was another brilliant piece of crap moment that could have been edited out. I think Tropical is the guy to ask about weapons.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
I just got teary at the ending but I know if I were by myself I would have been crying so yeah lets call that crying
UPDATE: I watched it by myself for the first time (I bought it on DVD like a month ago and haven't watched it untill now) and I fucking cried like a fag for at least 10 minutes straight.

I'm watching the cut scenes with Cameron Farris and I'm all cracking up and stuff

PS: I didn't like this movie nearly as much as I do now, after seeing it twice. I want to hug this movie
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:54 AM       
Yeah, I loved it after the seconding viewing. It's way better because you really connect with the characters and pick up all the subtleness. I've watched it 4 times and it just gets better.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM       
I remember I wanted to watch it again the minute it was over, but I told myself to fuck off and wait until it arrived at Norwegian cinemas so I could watch it on the big screen instead. I hope I'll experience the same thing you did. Not the faggy part, but the part about liking it better.