Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:52 PM       
Stupidity: the other, unspoken principle of American life.
Pee Wee Herman is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:54 PM       
Stupidity is the reason everything in America happens. it is the driving force behind America.

"Boy, me and my family sure are quoyed a lot in people's signatures"
-Max Burbank
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:13 PM       
Just look at the OTHER person in your avatar.

But seriously, folks, I would like to commend Perndog here for being the only person to truly make any sense out of you folks. OAO, you kinda agree with me, but I don't like you. You folks are entitled to your opinions, sure, but I find it scary that you think that banning certain foods is the way to reach better public health. It isn't. I would rather see my tax dollars go to fund mandatory programs in schools that teach the dangers of bad foods than have those foods completely taken away.

Look at it from this standpoint. If the government were to go out tomorrow and close down all the McDonalds, Burger Kings, and whatever the fuck else is out there, then that would mean that there would be millions of people (yes, millions. those airheaded unwed teenage moms and dads gotta work somewhere) would be out of a job. That would mean that our tax dollars would be going to support them on wellfare, and that isn't something I wanna do, either. Eating what we want is an American freedom, and they may force us to take health-food classes, but they can never take away...
OUR FREEDOM!!!! :williamwallace

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM       
They're not taking away the food. They just don't supply it to you. Christ. Fucking buy it at a supermarket, they won't give you shit for that, and they never will. They don't wish to be the merchants of soda during the given hours becuase they find it unhealthy. If you don't like it, bring a soda.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 10:38 PM       
Should I have the right to sell E coli ridden beef?
I could save a lot of money by not using methods of slaughtering and packaging that are less sanitary than most, and pass the savings on to the consumer. Other companies can sell their beef for more and advertise that they use safer methods, and the American people can make their decisions based on the balance of risk and benefit.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:22 PM       
Selling e-coli ridden beef and selling pop are two completely different things. And yes, I know I can buy the stuff in stores. That is not my point. My point is that the government should not be able to regulate this kind of stuff. That is what is worrying me. I could care less whether or not the pop machines work, but the fact that the government is regulating it is what disturbs me.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:43 AM       
Actually, banning pop machines in school didn't bother me, it was the remarks I noticed saying we should close fast food restaurants and all that fun stuff that I was replying to. As a minor you are not entitled with nearly the same liberties as adults are, and the government has *always* set down special rules for minors. Everyone (except those unlucky bastards who die really young) grows up eventually, so you only get the shaft temporarily, so it's okay. It's in the same league as legal smoking, drinking, and fucking ages. Not that I think it's good or necessary to fuck with kids' diets--that's a job for parents--but I don't have a problem with it.

Of course, maybe that's because I'm not one of you anymore and I'm still young enough to be happy about my new privileges.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:18 AM       
If the issue of personal choice is so fundamental to American society, then how come the government sees fit to illegalize things that are relatively harmless? I'm talking about things like marijuana, gay marriage, and polygamy, to name a few. You claim that people should have the right to choose to be a fat fuck. If that's true, then they should have the right to choose a whole bunch of other stuff too. If the government can control things, then how come they can't control what you eat?

Don't turn this into a debate about whether the government should or shouldn't legalize marijuana, gay marriage, polygamy, or whatever. Let's not go totally off topic here.

-Max Burbank
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM       
Good old fashioned Christian morals. The other addendum to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" is "...as long as it's not a sin." Gluttony is one of those sins that's kind of faded in importance, while fornication is definitely still a big one and any "good citizen" will tell you it's morally wrong to use drugs.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM        EEp
Well then lord knows, I'm not a "good citizen"
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
Good old fashioned Christian morals. The other addendum to "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" is "...as long as it's not a sin." Gluttony is one of those sins that's kind of faded in importance, while fornication is definitely still a big one and any "good citizen" will tell you it's morally wrong to use drugs.
If the government thinks it's morally wrong to use drugs, then how come alcohol, cigarettes, aspirin, and all prescription drugs are legal?

The government shouldn't make laws just because of their "good old fashioned Christian morals" because of a little thing called "separation of church and state." Laws should be based on facts and stuff, not "good old fashioned Christian morals."

-Max Burbank
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM       
I agree. I'm just telling you how things *do* work, regardless of how they *should*.

Smoking, drinking, and prescription drugs are legal because:

1) Smoking wasn't considered harmful for an awfully long time so why would it be morally wrong? They don't apply morals ex post facto, they stick with tradition. And tradition says smoking is fine.

2) Jesus drank wine and so did an awful lot of good Christians back in the day. Therefore, alcohol is okay. Holy Communion, anyone?

3) Prescription drugs are helpful. The Bible never said there was anything wrong with medicine.

It's not so much that the religion is specifically anti-drug, it's that mind-altering drugs have been seen as morally wrong over the centuries in Western culture and have had much more of a stigma than the next closest thing, alcohol. Probably because most drug addicts in history were serious fuckups in one way or another, even if they happened to be some of the best writers/philosophers/whatever.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:44 PM       
Now that's something we can agree on.

-Max Burbank