Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM        The Dresden Files
This series is excellent. For those of you who have never heard of it, it is a series about the country's only professionally practicing wizard, who lived in Chicago. It sounds like just another Harry Potter clone at first (i.e.: real wizards, magic, monsters, that whole bit), but this isn't for kids. Very bloody stuff. Very entertaining.

I am currently on book 2, and it is even better than the first. To elaborate on the basic premise of the book, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a paranormal private investigator living in Chicago. He is also a police consultant when things don't add up just right in their investigations.

The cool thing about this series that sets it apart from other fantasy novles is the fact that it actually explains a lot of the magic to you. It makes it believable, whereas Harry Potter just says "There's magic, and we know how to use it", this book says "There's magic, I know how to use it, and here's how it works".

So, to make a long story short, I highly reccomend this series to anyone who considers themselves to be a fan of the fantasy genre.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM       
It sounds interesting. Author?

P.S. I refuse to do the research on principle.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:26 PM       
Jim Butcher is the author. He has some other books out that I hear are good, but I'm gonna work through Dresden first.