Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM        SPEAKING OF COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIPS
Check out this editorial from the Washington Post

The Soviet Republic of Texas

Tuesday, October 14, 2003; Page A22

YOU MIGHT THINK America's rigged system of congressional elections couldn't get much worse. Self-serving redistricting schemes nationwide already have left an overwhelming number of seats in the House of Representatives so uncompetitive that election results are practically as preordained as in the old Soviet Union. In the last election, for example, 98 percent of incumbents were reelected, and the average winning candidate got more than 70 percent of the vote. More candidates ran without any major-party opposition than won by a margin of less than 20 percent. Yet even given this record, the just-completed Texas congressional redistricting plan represents a new low.

The plan grabbed headlines as a consequence of the flight by Democrats -- twice -- from the state to prevent its adoption. The Democrats, whose only hope, being in the minority in both houses, was to prevent a quorum, eventually gave in; the legislature has adopted the plan. It's abhorrent on two counts. Texas Republicans, egged on by U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, violated a longstanding tradition by redrawing the map in the middle of a census cycle. Their new rule seems to be, why wait 10 years if you can cram something down your opponents' throats today? And their plan is designed to wipe out moderate and white Democrats from the Texas congressional delegation. We don't know whether the plan violates the Voting Rights Act or will survive legal challenge. What is clear, however, is that it will aggravate the triumph of extremes in Washington while further sovietizing America's already-fixed electoral game.

The map Republicans have produced is a remarkable feat of gerrymandering. The 19th District, once confined to the western side of the state, now snakes halfway across it to scavenge voters from the current district of Democratic Rep. Charles Stenholm. Beneath it now sprawls the once-compact 11th District of Democratic Rep. Chet Edwards, which has been completely redrawn to help a friend of George W. Bush get elected to Congress. The south of the state now looks like a pinstripe suit, with narrow districts snaking from north to south in order to pack Hispanic-majority voters in just a few districts, including a new one. Dallas liberal Martin Frost, meanwhile, suddenly has a new district, 63 percent of whose voters are Republican. The goal here is not subtle. As Republican state Rep. Phil King, who helped draw the map, put it to the Austin American Statesman, "I would suspect that [any Democrat] who is not in a minority district would have a very competitive race."

The current Texas House delegation includes 17 Democrats and 15 Republicans. This balance, no doubt, is a residue of a time when Democrats were more powerful in the state than they are today and reflects deliberate incumbent protection by past legislatures. It also, however, reflects the fact that some Democratic members have effectively represented their increasingly conservative districts and remained popular. The pernicious effect of partisan redistricting in general is the weakening of the center with the creation of "safe" seats for both parties -- which encourages the election of people considerably to the left or right of the state's political center of gravity. Do Texans really want a polarized delegation of 22 conservative Republicans and 10 liberal Democrats, as the current plan envisions? Do they really want a state with a white party and a minority party? Republican politicians are engineering it that way, whatever voters may want. For redistricting -- quite the inverse of elections -- is a process in which politicians get to choose their voters. It is a process that a healthy democracy would seek to reform.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM       
Way to get my attention.

I thought it was going to be on China sending a guy into space and then I would have said "yeah, go team! Two to one! Yeah!

Have you heard about electons in Chechnya or Papua New Guinea? Yeah well stop complaining
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:33 PM       
"Do Texans really want a polarized delegation of 22 conservative Republicans and 10 liberal Democrats, as the current plan envisions? Do they really want a state with a white party and a minority party?"

Um, yes. Duh!

:dontmesswithtexas
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:42 AM       
So, who is the minority party? All I see is two white parties.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:33 AM       
this kind of thing happens a lot. until now, it has traditionally been the Democrats trying to change many of the zones (especially around San Antonio and Houston) to predominantly Democrat Mexican and Black sectors. of course, until now we weren't trying to convince the world that we are one giant Springer show.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 10:38 AM       
Gerrymandering in an abysmal practice democrats and republicans have always engaged in.

The difference here, is it always been done once every ten years affter a census and you had to at least argue that there was some relationship between the cencus and redistricting. It happened after the census regardless of which party was in power.

This redistricting is between census's and is happening only becuase the republicans can force it. Their hope is that it won't open the door for redistricting every time power changes hands because they think they can secure power permanently in Texas. I think their probably wrong and they've opened a can of worms they will later regret.

Politics is always nasty hardball, but I think when the process becomes so extreme that the goal is to actively remove a two party system, I think it's gone to far. I think even the pretense of representative government in Texas is being thrown away. Tom Delay's role in all this makes the soviet comparison all the more apt. Centralized authority directing a bogus Duma.