Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM        Indie Rock
Gay.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:37 AM       
yeah youd' think if they were good they'd at least get a fucking record deal

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM       
There's always the rare occasion when an indie group is good, but they tend to fall between the 80s- early 90s.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:47 AM       
Some indie rock is awesome. But I prefer indie folk or country, etc. since groups like that are great, but still don't appeal to mass, retard populist standards like Britney does.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM       
indie rock can be allright. its the fucking scenesters that make me want to avoid it completely. i swear. standing still during a concert is one of the gayest things in the world EVER..

that and i hate indie bands with pseudo-clever names for their songs n albums.

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM       
Yeah, the scensters are porbably the biggest problem. I love the Sea and Cake, but everyone just sat there during the whole FUCKING THING. Not that S=C are dancy, but comeon. The worst part was some girl read a book during the intermission, or whatever between them and the opening acts. Ugh.

EDIT MORE GRIPES: and at least 3/4 of the people there had black rimmed glasses. I was told to be quiet while shispering to a firned during circulatory systems songs. I heard people discussing the bands afterwords. One said there music was "diplomatic." BARF
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:07 PM       
I hate the word "independent" used in a genre. What so independant about there music?

Most of these Indie rock bands are part of a small label, plus its not like they would sign a multi-million dollar record contract if it was presented to them. Ex. White Stripes, and the rest of the current oh so indie "the" bands.

The only true indie band is the String Cheese Incident. These guys toured in there shitty school bus, building up a fan base, and then started there OWN, not part of a major label, record company. Its only till' there recent ablum that they actually took on a producer. They have 100% creative control and even have there own ticket distribution company, who is at the moment suing the shit out of Ticketbastard . They don't get allot of air-play or any BS on MTV, but they sell out most of the venues they have played in. Which is something allot of these "top acts" can't even do.

I really don't like there music, but they have my respect for what they have accomplished.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM       
Pavement is one of the worst indie bands ever.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:07 PM       
You suck. Pavement is probably the best indie rock band ever, except for Pixies. Wowee Zowee and Brighten the Corners are amazing, and all other Pavement is really good.
Ooner is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:17 PM       
I could never really understand the appeal of Pavement. I like Malkmus' other stuff better, but even that isn't so great.

I hate the "indie rock" genre name because it's way too broad. There's a million subgenres that are all really different. Le Tigre isn't Neutral Milk Hotel isn't The Postal Service isn't Belle and Sebastian isn't The Faint :/

(yes I know they're all mainstream as far as indie rock goes, shut up obscurists)
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
You suck. Pavement is probably the best indie rock band ever, except for Pixies. Wowee Zowee and Brighten the Corners are amazing, and all other Pavement is really good.
Pavement is tuneless, boring music for opinionated losers like yourself.
aka Don Henley
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:34 PM       
Why don't you just call them a "rock" band? What makes them so "Indie"? The clothes they wear?

Last time I checked The Pixies were on the Warner Brothers label, very Independant label.

Edit - And yes, 4AD is a part of Warner Borthers
Ghost of Fraiser is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:17 AM       
i only liked 2 or 3 pavement songs, the rest jsut sound the same but noiser/less noiser.

ANd yeah Bobo is right, the pixies arent indie, just underrated.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:26 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongi
I don't believe you've listened to much Pavement.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:07 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Fraiser
the pixies... ...underrated.
Who the hell underrates The Pixies? I like them, but then I like the dozen other bands that sound identical & actually are underrated.

I also like Pavement, but then I'm an opinionated loser.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:

Yeah, exactly. Thats the type of comment someone that has heard 30 seconds of Pavement would say. You have to actually listen to their albums 3 or 4 times before they fully reveal themselves, it's not disposable music you listen to once and throw away.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM       
Whatever. People from Indiana are weird.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Kevin, I don't think you're opinionated so maybe I'll listien to Wowie Zowie! again.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM       
I hate indie people, they all act the same. You can spot their pretentious asshole I'm better than you cause I listen to INDIe from like 2.2 miles away.
aka Don Henley
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM       
My music is soooooo indie and underground you would NEVER hear unless you were Indie like me and not a conformist like everyone else no one will understand me because im so indie and I WEAR THICK GLASSES!
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM       
Bobo what the hell happened to your spelling?
aka Don Henley
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:54 PM       
I was mocking the intelect of a person who listens to only "indie" music.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Adobo
The only true indie band is the String Cheese Incident. These guys toured in there shitty school bus, building up a fan base, and then started there OWN, not part of a major label, record company. Its only till' there recent ablum that they actually took on a producer. They have 100% creative control and even have there own ticket distribution company, who is at the moment suing the shit out of Ticketbastard . They don't get allot of air-play or any BS on MTV, but they sell out most of the venues they have played in. Which is something allot of these "top acts" can't even do.

I really don't like there music, but they have my respect for what they have accomplished.
http://www.gkartworks.com/fakebrain/flash/

FAKE BRAIN!

These guys stopped in Minneapolis on tour while I was working sound at a club. They've done all their own recording with their own equipment (no rented studio time), and they even have a comic. And they got paid 25 bucks for the show I saw, which just about covered parking and gas.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Adobo
Uhh...Fugazi and Ani DiFranco, anyone?
crash0814 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:24 AM       
Really, indie doesn't refer to the label so much as the music. If the music has a different vibe than what's commercially viable, that makes it indie in my heart. That's why I would classify the Pixies as indie, or even the White Stripes. Keeping that in mind, I would like to present this short list of good indie bands.

Short List of Good Indie Bands
-----------------------------------------

Pixies - Natch.

Pavement - You can say many things about Pavement. They can't play, Steve can't sing, etc. But boring?!

Sonic Youth - Pretentious, but good.

Ween - You say novelty, I say genius.

Modest Mouse - I originally HATED this band, but decided to give 'em another go. And silly me, they rock quite hard.

Yo La Tengo - Dreamy...

Interpol - Best album of 2002.

Beck - Yes, Beck is indie.

Liz Phair - Well, Exile in Guyville anyway...

Fugazi - Despite the fact that it kind of started emo, wonderful.