Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 08:53 PM        DEFENSE DEPARTMENT SAYS FUCK HALLIBURTON!!!
Halliburton pulled from Iraqi oil contract

WASHINGTON (AP) --The Defense Department is removing the Army Corps of Engineers from overseeing oil imports into Iraq, acting just weeks after Pentagon auditors said Halliburton -- Vice President Dick Cheney's former firm -- may have overcharged taxpayers under the Corps' supervision.

The Defense Energy Support Center, which buys fuel for the military throughout the world, will supervise the replacement of Halliburton and the award of a new contract for the imports, the center said Tuesday.

"We're taking over the mission," said the center's spokeswoman, Lynette Ebberts. She would not comment on whether the audit prompted the change, which was ordered December. 23.

Democratic lawmakers have been highly critical of the prices charged the U.S. government by Halliburton's KBR subsidiary, which has been importing refined petroleum products into Iraq under a mission awarded without competitive bids. Cheney headed Halliburton before running for vice president.

Earlier this month, the Defense Department's auditing agency supported the Democrats' allegations, finding the company may have charged up to $61 million too much for delivering gasoline to Iraqi citizens.

President Bush tried to calm the controversy, saying Halliburton should repay the government if it overcharged for fuel, which was imported from Iraq's neighboring countries.

Halliburton has said it expected to be cleared by the Defense Department. The company said its pricing resulted from a contract with a Kuwaiti firm, the only company approved as a supplier by the Corps.

Halliburton got its contract to rebuild Iraq's dilapidated oil industry as an outgrowth of a contract with the Army to provide emergency logistical help for situations such as the Iraq war. The Army Corps of Engineers opened the oil rebuilding process to competitive bidding earlier this year and was preparing to award up to $2 billion in replacement contracts.

Richard J. Connelly, director of the support center, said the existing contract would remain in place for now, so that fuel deliveries will not be interrupted.

Corps spokesman Robert Faletti said, "I don't believe the report had anything to do with the transfer."

The support center said it would award contracts under competitive bidding, a process that could take two to three months, but would consider a short-term contract until the bids are awarded.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 10:19 PM       

Wha...whuh...whubbatafubba?
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:34 AM       
This just in:

Defense Department Blows President, Self

Stop posting poli in the poli/sci forum
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:09 AM       
Hmmm. Do you suppose, since even the Pentagon, who gave them a no bid contract in teh first place, thinks Halliburton was screwing them, we might want to look into Halliburton's performance visa vis the REST of their massive no bid contract? And then, maybe, for the VERY FIRST TIME some questions might be asked about WHY Halliburton got a no bid contract? And who made that decision? And what THEIR performnce has been like so far?

Or will we just adress the single Halliburton related corruption most fully exposed by the press?