Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Blackjack is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM        Duke Nukem (One for AChimp?)
Hello.

Many, many moons ago I was (and still am) a top class mapper for BUILD engined games (Duke 3d, Blood et al) but my current machine just doesn't like DOS.

Duke3d will run, but the screen res won't go higher than 320x240 and say bye-bye to sound (even though my SonicFury claimes to have Soundblaster emulation). And don't even think about getting the editor software to run. The same is true of Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage and all the rest.

So the question is, did anyone ever write a handy little program to get these old DOS/Win95 games to run under Windows 2000? Or is it a trip to the flea market for a cheap Win95 P200 and a SoundBlaster 16 machine.

Or should I get with the program and play UT2004 like everyone else?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:31 AM       
Everything in this forum is 'one for AChimp', but don't worry, he hasn't got anything better to be doing.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:39 AM       
I haven't played any of those old games on my new computer, or messed around with a DOS emulator... It might be possible to get them to work in one of those.

There's a Win32 version of Duke3D for free on the net. You just have to copy the data files into the same directory. Thing is, I don't think you can run custom maps in it. :/
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:42 AM       
Well, that's a load of bloody help there, int it.
Mocker
Mike is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM       
Well you didn't mention what system you were using, but I run Duke Nukem 3D on Windows XP (with full screen and sound) by rebooting in VGA mode.

1. Restart computer.

2. When you get to the screen with the instruction to press F2 at the bottom, press F8 instead. I find that it won't work unless I hold it down for about a second.

3. Choose the option to restart in VGA mode and press enter to accept the option. After this it'll display a screen asking if you want to run Windows XP. Press enter.

4.When you get back to windows everything is going to look gigantic on your screen and XP may put up a sign to bitch at you about the resolution. Pay no attention to that bullshit. Your DOS program will now run. When you want to go back to the normal mode, just change the resolution back to whatever you had it on before or restart your computer.
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:15 PM       
what about using microsoft virtual pc to run dos? I use virtual pc at work to run all kinds of other versions of windows at work, so running dos should be feasible.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM       
You could provide us with that software, couldn't you, Mr. MSDN?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM       
maybe i could....