Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:32 PM        Is Comedy lacking nowadays?
I think some Adult Swim shows are pretty funny, Reno 911 is good, and theres occasionally a good stand up on Comedy Central, but other than that nothing on T.V really strikes me as humorous in the least. I can't even remember the last funny movie I saw. :/

Are T.V and movies getting less funny or is my "immunity" to comedy building up from seeing so much funny stuff previously?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:40 PM       
Well here is another rare moment but I have to agree with you. I did think the man show was funny and Andy Richter could have been funny if they tried harder. T.V now with reality shows have messed up tv and like everything there will be a slow return of a few guys that want to make quality shows.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:48 PM        Re: Is Comedy lacking nowadays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBubba
I think some Adult Swim shows are pretty funny
Correction. Some shows on Adult Swim USED to be funny. Now the line up is lame stuff like Big O and Inuyasha. I swear Big O is more boring then gundamn wing and DBZ combined and the art makes my penis shrivel and fall off.

The only good things on Adult Swim now are re-runs of old episodes of good shows and sometimes they have new episodes of ATHF.

Reno 911 is hysterical and some of the stand up on Comedy Central is very funny. Some of it is horribly unfunny though.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:50 PM       
Here's a moment I'd be inclined to agree as well.

I'd much rather watch standup specials on HBO or old Three Stooges episodes than any of the new comedy coming out.

But there also is a question of tolerance too. Everyone's using either race jokes, airplane jokes or "how many times can I say motherfucker?" jokes.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:38 PM       
I blame 9-11. I swear to god I have never ONCE heard a funny joke about Osama. Even the name makes me cringe and not because of what he did, but because every two bit writer or comedian thinks people are obliged to laugh when you make fun of him.

OMG OSAMA HAS PENIS ENVY AND HES UGLY AND STUPID? OMG YOU ARE JUST HILARIOUS. Bastards.

Not that hes not ugly, stupid, and doesn't have penis envy or anything.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:03 PM       
Terrorist
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:35 PM       
They raped the Man Show. It used to make me laugh, now it has that faggot from Fear Factor, and that lame ass comedian. And their voices sound really fake.
OK
Black Flag is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:51 PM       
God. You are all so stupid.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:57 PM       
if black flags sig was on TV id totally laff at it
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:39 AM       
I blame the four major networks. They couldn't find humor if it came up and humped their leg.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:34 AM       
The Man Show has always sucked and Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope should be given medals for killing it.

Comedy has always sucked, and there's always one or two good shows going on at any given time. Yeah it has to do partly with your expectations becoming higher; the things that made you laugh when you were 10 tend to not hold up as well when you're older. Also, there's usually an age when you discover good comedy, and it leads to discovering even more good comedy. After you've dug up everything you could, yeah, things seem pretty terrible.

Right now Reno 911 is hilarious, and that's about it really.

Can anybody tell me when the last really great comedy movie came out in theaters?

Professor Cool is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:41 AM       
Corky Ramano

Actually, i dont have a clue, I dont there has been any good ones since the mid-90's.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:21 AM       
Ferris Beulers' Day Off.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:28 AM       
The last really great comedy?

For some reason, the most recent decent (hey, that rhymes!) comedy I've seen in theaters is Bowfinger.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:55 AM       
KUNG POW

-willie
Asspunch McGruf
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:41 AM       
oh yea.

Forgot about that

Thanks willie
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:26 AM       
wet hot american summer :/

-willie

FS is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM       
Banana Joe.
ShanghaiOrange is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM       
The Daily Show, Reno 911, and ATHF are the only good shows on nowadays that aren't reruns.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
The Man Show has always sucked and Joe Rogan and Doug Stanhope should be given medals for killing it.
Thank you.

The last funny movie I saw was The Big Lebowski :/
Asspunch McGruf
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer
wet hot american summer :/

-willie
I never saw it

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM       
I haven't seen anything really funny that's modern, but I haven't seen Reno. KITH was the best And Rocco.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:19 PM       
I haven't seen a funny new movie in ages. I don't even go to the theaters anymore. I rent some gem from 10-20 years ago at Blockbuster and I usually laugh my ass off. I especially love the old John Hughes films like Breakfast Club and Uncle Buck.

As for TV, there really isn't anything anymore. The old stuff is still good, like Seinfeld and Simpsons (the OLD Simpsons ). Reno 911 really is fantastic (I thought it would be horrible), and I guess some Adult Swim shows that I haven't seen a million times are still funny. I have never watched a minute of ABC or CBS, I watch NBC only for Saturday Night Live (which I might stop doing), and I watch FOX only for the Sunday night lineup (which sucks now, so I might stop watching that too).

I'm depressed now . Thanks a lot.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:36 AM       
Wet Hot American Summer didn't come to theaters here of course

And I didn't like Kung Pow all that much but yeah it was probably the funniest mainstream movie to come out around here in a while.

It seems like anything that seems really great or funny I have to wait forever for it to come out on video and then I have to HOPE that somebody in town even carries it. Which is why I got a netflix account.
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:18 AM       
Wow. I thought I was the only person who thought Reno 911 is the best show on TV. Phew.

Jixby is basically right, but there's also the problem that 90 percent of the world is about as smart as rock salt and finds shit like Friends or Dharma and Greg to be witty and relevant. It's so hard to find good comedy out there because the rich jews who run the industry and trying so hard to pander to the moron demographic and put out movies like Dicky Roberts and sitcoms about single working girls in the BIG CITY.

Fuck. This thread depressed me. Thanks a lot, assholes.

edit: South Park, mother fuckers
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid