Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM        Linguists release most overused words of 2003
"Metrosexual" was old the moment it was first used.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nished_words_2

Linguists Release Banished Words for 2004
Wed Dec 31, 1:02 PM ET

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer

Calling all metrosexuals: Get rid of that bling-bling — or at least find another word for it. In its annual compilation of language irritants, Lake Superior State University singled out 17 words and phrases that it says ought to be banned as overused, trite, euphemistic or just plain inaccurate. The 2004 losers were chosen by a university committee from more than 5,000 nominations from around the world.

"Metrosexual" topped the list. Coined in 1994 by British journalist Mark Simpson, the term refers to urban, usually heterosexual men with a keen interest in fashion, shopping and elaborate grooming.

But to Bob Forrest of Tempe, Ariz., one of many to nominate the term for banishment, it "sounds like someone who only has sex downtown or on the subway." Fred Bernardin of Arlington, Mass., asked, "Aren't there enough words to describe men who spend too much time in front of the mirror?"

As for "punked" — or "punk'd," as the MTV prank show spells it — the committee defined it as "bamboozled, duped, flimflammed, hornswoggled."

"Bling-bling," a term for flashy jewelry or other luxury goods, made its way into the mainstream from rap music. Said Todd Facklas of Chicago: "Yes, your mom might say it. Nothing could kill the mystique of a word faster."

The war in Iraq also produced a few entries on the list.

"I'm just waiting on `Shock and Awe Laundry Soap' or maybe `Shock and Awe Pool Cleaner,'" said Joe Reynolds of Conroe, Texas.

Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.-based Lake Superior State has been compiling its "List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness" since 1976 to draw publicity to the small academic outpost. Past lists have lamented such words as "chad" (2001), "paradigm" (1994), "baby boomers" (1989) and "detente" (1976).

And the words/phrases are:

Metrosexual: An urban male who pays a great deal of attention to appearance.
X: As in "X-Files," Xtreme, Windows XP (news - web sites) and X-Box.
Punked: To dupe, popularized by the MTV show "Punk'd."
Place Stamp Here: Printed on return envelopes.
Companion animals: Also known as pets.
Bling or Bling-Bling: Flashy jewelry.
LOL: E-mail speak for "laugh out loud."
Embedded Journalist.
Smoking Gun.
Shock and Awe.
Captured Alive.
Shots Rang Out.
Ripped From the Headlines.
Sweat Like a Pig: The problem is pigs don't sweat.
In Harm's Way.
Hand-Crafted Latte.
Sanitary Landfill: Also known as a dump.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:07 PM       
X isn't a word. Stupid linguistists.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 11:37 AM       
That list was so Xceptional that it made me and my COMPANION ANIMAL LOL so hard we dropped our BLING-BLING. At least I finished my HAND CRAFTED LATTE before I read it or it would have spilled and I would have been in a state of SHOCK AND AWE.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM       
My boyfriend is a very cunning linguist.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:56 PM       
I know of guys who describe themselves as being 'metrosexual'. I'm suspicious of any social trend that is predicated on shopping.