Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM        George Tenet Resigns
I didn't think this was ever going to happen. I wonder when the public is finally going to take notice of how many high-profile figures have resigned from this administration. I predict Powell will be next.

Bush: Tenet resigns as CIA director

Thursday, June 3, 2004 Posted: 10:47 AM EDT (1447 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- CIA Director George Tenet has resigned, citing personal reasons, President Bush said Thursday.

In a statement made at the White House, Bush said that Tenet informed him of his decision Wednesday night.

Bush said Tenet had done "a superb job for the American people."

"He has been a strong and able leader at the agency," Bush said.

"He has been a strong leader in the war on terror and I will miss him."

Tenet will leave the position in mid-July Bush said.

Tenet was sworn in as the Director of Central Intelligence on July 11, 1997.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:59 AM       
Personal reasons my hind fender.

I think it more likely they were setting him up to take a fall so he split first. Not that mister "Slam Dunk" (his description of the WMD case) doesn't make him culpable, but with Chalabi being hung out to dry, they're probbly looking for t least one administration sacrificial lamb.

It will be interesting to see if they have enough dirt on him to keep him from writting a book.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:06 PM       
Quote:
I didn't think this was ever going to happen.
I have to disagree. I am shocked he lasted this long. He is a Clinton holdover and that would have made him an ideal scapegoat in so many situations.
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:08 PM        Re: George Tenet Resigns
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
I predict Powell will be next.
Have you read Woodward's Plan of Attack yet? Powell is persona non grata in that administration. It seems the only reason they included him in the warmongering was to appear credible before the world community.

But, like a dutiful soldier, Powell sticks with them.

As for Tenet, it's about fucking time.
Will chop you good.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
I didn't think this was ever going to happen.
I have to disagree. I am shocked he lasted this long. He is a Clinton holdover and that would have made him an ideal scapegoat in so many situations.
I guess I could have phrased that better. I wished it would happen, and it was certainly long overdue. As much shit as they've tried to hang on him in the last year or so, I figured he would have been gone long ago.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM       
Things are heating up.

Wherever you go, there you are.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:49 PM       
Another resignation:
Quote:
CNN - 6:06 pm EDT - 6/3/04

Kitty Pilgrim: David, there's late word tonight of another resignation to come at the CIA. What do you know about that?

David Ensor: Yes, I gather from US officials that James Pavitt, the Director of Operations at the CIA, the man really in charge of human intelligence, the spies. James Pavitt will announce his resignation to his staff tomorrow morning, he plans to leave later this summer. Now, officials are stressing that this was planned before, several weeks ago, that it has nothing to do with Tenet leaving, in fact, he didn't know Tenet planned to announce his resignation. I did speak with someone at the Agency who confirmed that yes, Pavitt had planned to leave weeks ago.
It was Richard Clarke, Tenet and Pavitt that warned Bush Corp. of an impending Al Qaeda attack that they chose to ignore. All have now resigned. It shouldn't take a knuckle-dragging NeoCon to figure this one out.
Mocker
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM       
How lonmg has Pavitt had the job? Because for the last 20 years, our human intel has been pathetic. If he is another holdover from pevious admin. , this is another matter of "what took so fucking long?"

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:14 PM        Timing
I'm sure that Mr. Tenet's forthcoming memoirs will make for some interesting reading. It seems often times when people leave for personal reasons, it involves some outside pressure. Why not ride it out until the end of the term? I wonder if he was given the option of resigning before his hand was forced so that he could bow out gracefully.

Powell will stick out the term. He won't see another though. At least not in this capacity with this president.
Will chop you good.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:51 PM       
I agree, GA. I think Powell will try to bow out as quietly as possible. Based on his interview with Russert, it seems like he's tired of toeing the company line.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM       
I think the CIA by it's very nature is a fairly creepy organization regardless of the administration. They've done a very bad job of intelligence gathering since before the fall of the Soviet Union. No one could blame even this administration with not trusting the qaulity of the info they were getting from the CIA. The problem is, that wasn't what W. and Cabal did wrong. They predetermined what the intelligence would be and mean. When the CIA told them "Bin Laden Determined to attack inside united states" that was crappy intel. When Tennet told them that WMD was a 'slam dunk', that was great intel.

If W and the Neocons are not to blame for the failures of the occupation, then someone else needs to be. There's been speculation for months now that either Tennet or Rumsfeld was going to have to fall on their sword. The president wouldn't dump Rummy if he bit the head of an elederly blind nun on CSPAN.
Mocker

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:31 PM       
There was a female army colonel (can't remember her name right off) who worked in intelligence at the Pentagon on an MSNBC interview show last Sunday. From the way she explained it, every country has a dedicated group assigned to constantly make and amend invasion plans and contingency plans based on real time changes in intelligence. She claimed the size of the group covering Iraq increased about five-fold after Bush came into office for virtually no reason that could be based on incoming intelligence. She also claimed that the war was, more or less, engineered to happen. It was pretty much like you're saying, Max. Collect the intelligence that supports the effort and discard the rest. In other words, they were more or less looking for a reason that would be compelling, or threatening enough for American citizens to condone war. I only caught the show briefly and can't remember the colonel's name (I believe it started with a "K" and was a Polish or Russian name) or that of the show.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM        Yeah
Is that such a shock though, really? I'm pretty sure the world wouldn't have gone for Bush standing in front of the world stating that we're going to remove Saddam because we have a score to settle, we're tired of snactions that don't work, and want to secure our access to oil.

I'm pretty sure no one bought the WMD/terrorist/instill democracy line. Not to say that some of those things might not benefit from the war, but at it's basis I don't think anyone really believed that was the rationale in the first place.

This is an administration that was built for war in Iraq. From the Vice-Pres on down. The high levvel Defense Dept. appointees were all blatant hawks, most of whom were involved in Gulf War I and felt like there was unfinished business. The only person with actual, credible war leadership experience was put at State, away from the war decision making. I think they knew Powell would object to war, but they needed his credibility and ethnicity in the Cabinet so they put him at State where his military opinions would not matter.

Honestly, why would you choose Rummsfeld over Powell to oversee your military? It's completely irrational to place a man who's spent 30 years of his life leading soldiers into combat in a diplomatic position while placing a war mongering techno weenie with no real combat expereince in a position to lead the nations armed forces. Unless you intended to use the soldier as a figure head without having to place any real stock in his professional opinions. Which is precisely what's happened.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:22 PM       
Democracy Now spoke with CIA vet Ray McGovern about this. i missed the show but they have the transcript up: http://www.democracynow.org/article..../06/03/1626202

McGovern: "George Tenet is clearly the first sacrificial lamb here. Things are going quite badly here in Washington. Somebody has to start being held accountable. And Tenet is sort of a tragic figure because he did all he could to help George Bush, much more than he should have as an objective intelligence professional."

Mcgovern on Bush hiring the lawyer at the same time:"That is he’s learned by going to a private counsel to get advice on the Valerie Plame case. I think he’s probably by now read the memorandum of 25 January 2002 that Alberto Gonzalez, his chief White House counsel wrote to him. This is the one that says, well you know, Geneva Conventions, that’s kind of a nettle here. We have US law actually, dated 1996 which makes it a crime punishable by death to rescind from or to ignore or to exempt people from the Geneva Conventions on prisoners of war. But Ashcroft says it’s okay as far as the Al Qaeda people are concerned, and I think it’s probably okay to exempt the Taliban as well. And the only downside is that exempting people is a slippery slope and people might come up with some ambiguity with respect to which prisoners qualify for such protection and which do not. And so he finished up by saying, there’s a reasonable basis in law Mr. President, that you will not be prosecuted for war crimes under the US code, War Crimes Act of 1996. Now if I’m President Bush and I finally read that thing because Newsweek has it printed, and I say, my goodness, there’s a reasonable basis in law that I won’t be prosecuted? I’m going to have a couple of really second thoughts here. One is that next time I’m in a situation like this I’m certainly going to seek independent counsel. But another is, my God, four more years becomes even more important to me and to Ashcroft and to Rumsfeld. Gonzalez specifically warns that who knows, some future administration or some future group might sue you for violating the Geneva Conventions. And not only the Geneva Conventions but to the degree that they are embedded in this US law of 1996, and so you’re really, we have a strong basis in law but we can’t exclude the possibility. So four more years? Why do I say all this? I say all this because I am more frightened now than at any time over the last three and a half years, that this administration will resort to extra-legal methods to do something to ensure that there are four more years for George Bush. And Ashcroft’s statement last week, gratuitous statement, uncoordinated with the department of, CIA, with the Department of Homeland Security, his warning that there is bound to be a terrorist strike before the US elections. That can be viewed and this can be reasonably viewed as the opening salvo in the justification for doing, taking measures to ensure that whatever happens in November comes out so that four more years can be devoted to maybe changing that war crimes act or protecting at least these vulnerable people for four more years. "

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM       
It's nice to know I'm no more paranoid than Ray McGovern. The question is are these guys going to be viewed by history as a bunch of screw ups who briefly altered the course of the united states in it's relationship with the world during difficult times, or are they going to go out on a limb and end up going down as the gang that did the most damage to America since the civil war?
Mocker
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:56 PM       
Quote:
Honestly, why would you choose Rummsfeld over Powell to oversee your military?
Powell was more internationally known and respected. SecState is the first face other countries will see during negotiations.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:46 PM        My point
Which is exactly my point. They didn't put him there based upon the merits of his opinions. They placed him there based upon his credibility and personal recognition. It worked out super when they needed someone who was "internationally known and respected" to sell the case for war to the world. Regardless of Powell's opinions on whether the use of military force was the right course of action or not.

By putting him at State, his professional judgement as to when, where, and how to use military force became completely irrelevant. His opinion became that of a dove at State rather than that of a seasoned military commander.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:11 AM       
I don't give a damn that much really, sure its a shame I have to see a media circus on why he is leaving, but I don't think I will be more impressed or dissapointed with his replacement.
Mocker

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM        Re: My point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Which is exactly my point. They didn't put him there based upon the merits of his opinions. They placed him there based upon his credibility and personal recognition.
It's unfortunate that his career is going to marred by his service to the present administration.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:59 PM       
Marred? I think ended is more like it. He's finished with the Neocons and Vice Versa. Moderates won't have him because his lieing at the UN was what paved the way for the raq invasion. A lot of people thought, well if Powells onboard it must be true. Liberals would never have him under any circumstances, and vice versa.

CNN commentator is what he's looking at. If he's smart he'll just retire.