Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:44 AM        Now that spanking is illegal check out this landmark (go to your room) case
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2836761

It's now illegal to send your violent kicking screaming teen to her room.

Takes parents to court to send them to jail (or THEIR room) for 12 1/2 years.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:48 AM       
22 hours on a urine-soaked mattress is a bit much for "time out", don't you think?
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:03 AM       
This article is lacking sufficient info, but I'd venture to guess there's some degree of bullshitting happening on both sides.

Your headline is grossly misleading, dude.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM       
When AREN'T they?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:22 AM       
"The girl said that she had to be good for two days in a row for the punishment for behavior she said included hitting, kicking, lying and "mean comments" to end, but that the most she could manage was one day."

Does this sentence make sense to anyone else?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:42 AM       
Nope. :sixcharacters
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM       
Cases like this are kind of hard to wonder what's right... was the kid just crazy, and the parents were trying to deal with it in the only way they could? Also, having to be "good" for two days in a row isn't that fucking hard. God damn just sleep the entire day or something.
the whole urine stained mattress thing makes me think she's crazy and can't control her bladder very well not that they are cruel.

i can't believe you can be charged with mentaly harming a child, that's a crazy charge. I can think of like 50,000 people who should be charged with that crime. I mean shit, not punishing and teaching your child ethics and life skills could be said to be mentally harming a child.
I've known of people who practically raise their children to be criminals and drug addicts by reinforcing their behaviors in various ways -- is that mentally harming? A good example is a story of these police arresting a kid (16 or so) for robbing a place (and they have pretty damn good evidence for KNOWING it was him), and his mom is out there fighting the cops telling them they can't arrest him and shit. What the fuck?
Also, if i remember the story right there was some other adult in the picture who was talking him into robbing places -- can't remember if it was the mom or not though. Isn't that all mentally harming a child, getting him to rob, then telling the police that they can't arrest him for commiting crimes?

What kind of mental harm does this cover exactly
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:30 PM       
the criminal complaint: http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphic...kosh011807.pdf

Much better article from
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/...0463/0/OSH0101

An Oshkosh couple is accused of locking their daughter up in a small room for nearly two years as punishment for behaving badly.

The couple only allowed the 13-year-old girl to leave for bathroom breaks, meals and to do chores, according to a criminal complaint filed in Winnebago County Circuit Court Tuesday.

The complaint states the girl was locked in a small bedroom for 22 hours a day for nearly two years. The bedroom was secured with a dead bolt accessible only from the outside and an alarm system that went off if the door was opened. There was a camera in the room that recorded what the girl was doing during at all hours of the day and night and the only furnishings in the room was a urine soaked mattress, a blanket, a pillow and an empty dresser.

Clint M. Engstrom, the girl's 32-year-old father, and her stepmother, Lynn M. Engstrom, 35, are charged with causing mental harm to a child, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of 12 years, six months in prison and a $25,000 fine.

"The facts are bizarre in this case," Winnebago County District Attorney Christian Gossett said. "This case is charged as causing mental harm to a child, but the behavior they engaged in and the conditions this child was kept in are just appalling."

Court Commissioner Daniel Bissett ordered the Engstroms to each be held in the Winnebago County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 cash bond. They are due back in court for a preliminary hearing Jan. 25.

The girl's maternal grandfather, Joe Zimmer, said the couple had shut him out of his granddaughter's life about the same time that police said the girl was first confined to her room.

"We were aware that Lynn (Engstrom) was pretty strict in regards to bedtime, but we had no idea this stuff was going on," Zimmer said. "We've had no contact with (the girl) since they shut us out about two years ago."

Officers from the Oshkosh Police Department were called on Jan. 12 to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Appleton, where the 13-year-old girl had been brought because she was hearing voices. The girl told detectives her parents had been confining her to a bedroom for nearly two years as a form of punishment, the complaint sates.

The girl told officers that she had been living with her father and stepmother in their home at 1612 Minnesota Street, and that she had been grounded to her room since February 2005. She said she was only allowed out of the room for meals, timed bathroom breaks and to do chores.

Minnesota Street resident Tammy Ponzer, said she and her neighbors knew the Engstroms as a couple who had fixed up a dilapidated home, but had little social contact with others on the street.

"They seemed friendly enough," Ponzer said.

A search warrant carried out showed that the home was lavishly furnished with high-end electronics and toys for three other children, however the room were the girl was confined had no toys, books or other things associated with a child, the complaint states. Detectives also noted the room contained a single light bulb and there was no heat or air conditioning duct work and that the only source of heat was a space heater that was controlled from outside the room.

Clint and Lynn Engstrom acknowledged to detectives that the girl had been grounded to her room for 1½ to 2 years and Clint Engstrom told detectives he installed the alarm on the door because they had problems with the girl sneaking out of her room to eat candy or watch television, the complaint states.

He told detectives the girl spent about 22 hours a day in the room and the girl told officers, "she was required to sit on her bed all day and night," the complaint states.

The girl told detectives that she was allowed to leave the room to eat meals, but she was only fed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or a fruit and grain bar. If she did not hear when she was called for a meal, she would not be allowed to eat. The girl said she would steal food because she was hungry and that "she would sneak downstairs to the kitchen and find scraps of food and leftovers," the complaint states. She told police she would have to skip two meals as punishment if she was caught.

She also told officers her stepmother only allowed her one minute to use the bathroom, she was not allowed to have any presents or cake for her birthday and was not allowed to read any books, including the Bible. She told detectives that during the summer, she was allowed to go outside for a half hour to do chores that included picking up dog feces and taking out the garbage.

Last edited by derrida : Jan 31st, 2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added link to pdf file
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM       
Kahl, that's just dumb. Having a fucked up loco kid isn't an excuse for coming up with some roll-your-own psychiatric treatment.

Also, "mental harm" is defined in penal codes as altering mental functioning. I guess you'd be welcome to try to argue in a court that a kid having to choose between two separate moral codes is traumatic, but the instillation of the deviant morality itself isn't gonna fuck with the kid's mental faculties.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 07:46 PM       
I never said they should have their own psych ward, I just said that pissing her bed might be a good indication that she's CRAZY since crazy people usually have very bad control of their bodies. The articles make it seem like it's a bad thing and they were punishing her by forcing her to sleep in a pissy bed, but crazy people piss their beds ALOT.
I mean seriously, if you're the parent of a psychotic child and you were trying to take care of it on your own rather than send t hem to a psych ward this might be one thing you'd do. Obviously, alarm systems and cameras are a bit severe. Still, it's not like it would've been that much different at a psych ward. Psych wards smell like pee buddy.

I was grounded for a year and a half once, but the situations weren't as severe. Some of it, though, like no toys or books, or leaving my room (except for school) were pretty much the same. I never had timed restroom or strict eatting patterns to obey, though.

No, you're right, instillment of a deviant system wouldn't fuck up their mental faculties at all. Sociopaths are all created by loving parents, there's no common pattern of fucked up children coming from fucked up parents. You can argue mental faculties in alot of ways, but one of the ways of using your mental faculties is being able to tell what's right and wrong. It might not necessarily cause permanant mental damage, but there's definitley a lack of ethical development.
Do you think children really choose between different moral systems? They don't, they usually just accept whatever their parents/peers tell them -- more or less. That's why there's entire tribes of cannibals and bad people, and why you generally see cultures sharing similar values...
Also commiting crimes because you can't tell right from wrong (or were raised to just not care) is pretty similar to acting crazy because you're crazy and don't understand reality. Socially, and psychologically, it's a very similar problem.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
No, you're right, instillment of a deviant system wouldn't fuck up their mental faculties at all. Sociopaths are all created by loving parents, there's no common pattern of fucked up children coming from fucked up parents. You can argue mental faculties in alot of ways, but one of the ways of using your mental faculties is being able to tell what's right and wrong. It might not necessarily cause permanant mental damage, but there's definitley a lack of ethical development.
Do you think children really choose between different moral systems? They don't, they usually just accept whatever their parents/peers tell them -- more or less. That's why there's entire tribes of cannibals and bad people, and why you generally see cultures sharing similar values...
Also commiting crimes because you can't tell right from wrong (or were raised to just not care) is pretty similar to acting crazy because you're crazy and don't understand reality. Socially, and psychologically, it's a very similar problem.
You're being way too vague in your use of "fucked up, " so I'm not going to respond to your first paragraph in depth until you clarify your terms. Sociopaths can tell right from wrong. The kind of "fucked up" families they tend to come from are generally emotionally distant or outright abusive, neither of which you described in your example.

If a child is presented with two equally forceful moral systems, yeah, theyre gonna have to make some kind of choice. They will probably cry about it, as children do. Again, I wanna say something, but you aren't indicating whether you're using the word "bad" in a local or global sense.

That last part surprised me. I've seen you (might not have been you, though) rightfully take western medicine to task for proccupation with observable symptoms at the cost of identifying root causes. Don't you see how you have committed that same fallacy here?
BANNED

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM       
Root causes, what is at the "Root" but the way you were raised to exist in the world you exist in? That, and developmental problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_role

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_learning_theory

social learning theory also mentions social labeling which can also contribute to what I'm talking about.

Last edited by kahljorn : Feb 3rd, 2007 at 02:15 AM.
BANNED

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:32 AM       
ok here's some more stuff!

fucked up means fucked up! i don't see any need to explain it. Some people are just fucked up.
Sociopaths can't really tell right from wrong. Sociopaths are generally characterized as doing everything for themselves. This isn't ayn rand's god child, it's just an asshole who kicks people in the balls because they think it's funny. Thus, THEIR entertainment takes priveledge over other people's contentment, and... uh.. i don't know, that's usually the begining of "Evil". When people are willing to hurt other people for no reason other than for themselves, and not even in a justifiable way like self-defense.

So what's the "Root problem" for people who were born into a deviant family structure with deviant norms and behaviors? Tap dancing?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM       
I told you those people don't really exist.

Nobody's perfect, and everybody is fucked up at some point in their lives, even if they are lucky enough to have it happen where nobody can see it and no one is affected by it. We all go through stuff, and especially for children, there needs to be a firm reminder of where the correct path lies when it is abandoned for whatever reason.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
BANNED

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM       
i fucking know it and that's what i was talking about.
Where do you think my quote in your signature comes from?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM       
NO MORE FARK HEADLINES
BANNED

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM       
what is "Fark"?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM       
Fark.com. Its a website that Courage takes all his headlines from.

Last edited by Jeanette X : Feb 3rd, 2007 at 03:26 PM.