Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM        Chavez & Gadhafi
Our favorite Latin American President was visiting our favorite North African President:

Quote:
TRIPOLI, Libya - Venezuela‘s anti-American president was given a warm welcome in the Libyan capital Wednesday by Col. Moammar Gadhafi, whose authoritarian regime was removed only this week from Washington‘s list of countries that sponsor terrorism.

Chavez, whose country was placed under a U.S. arms embargo two days ago, stopped to chat with some of those waiting to greet him as a band played the national anthems of both oil-rich countries.

A Venezuelan official in Tripoli, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, told The Associated Press that Chavez intended to meet with Gadhafi to discuss "social programs based on oil revenues."

He said the global oil market was also on the two leaders‘ agenda in preparation for the June 1 OPEC meeting in Caracas. Tripoli also has vast oil reserves and U.S.-based oil companies are racing to gain drilling rights there.
(LNL)

In order to make sure that it was more than just two goons shaking hands and mutually detesting the United States, oil was on the agenda, and of course naturally how oil could be used to create great social programs to establish their respective worker's paradises.

Naturally, I am skeptical of any improvements allegedly made in Libyan human rights or freedom, but I am even more skeptical about any claims coming out of Venezuela. At least it has been somewhat apparent that there has been attempts at cooperation from Col. Gadhafi, but trying to compare these two outstanding human beings to one another and decide the lesser of two evils is not exactly a cakewalk.

One conclusion that came out of the meeting was now that there is an arms ban on Libya, the Venezuelans should consider selling their F-16s... To Iran:

Quote:
Gen. Alberto Muller, an adviser to Chavez said he had recommended to the defense ministry that Venezuela consider selling its U.S.-supplied F-16s because of the ban. Muller said he thought it worthwhile to consider "the feasibility of a negotiation with Iran for the sale of those planes."
More great ideas from the court of Hugo Chavez.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM       
So, you're aware we restore full diplomatic relations with Libya and our favorite North African, right? On account of them becoming our pal in the war on terror?