Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM        getting fired for something
today at work they let another two people go because they could not keep their security clearences.

the reason they could not keep them is cause of debts they had outstanding. both people were working to pay off the debts (one had made arrangements with the people he owed, the other got a loan from family to pay the people he owed) but they still got sent packing.

our supervisor (a very, very good guy that takes his responsibility as a leader very seriously) was distraught because these firings were not run through our chain of command, but were ordered by homeland security.

this is just the most recent blow, they have let go of people that were close to retirement, extremely valuable (one of a kind technical skills), and all in all good people that have a few flaws, but no real security risks.

and it is happening throughout the federal government. lots of people are losing their jobs, and the worst part of it (to me) is that no one will come out and tell us what criteria are being used for the firings, and if there is any way to save our jobs (as noted these guys today made a point of clearing these debts BEFORE they had any idea they were on a shit list), everyone is horrified because these are very lucrative jobs that require a lot of skill and experience that don't convert to the civillian world.

it is very stressful.

does anyone have an idea of who could help protect our jobs, or at least give us a solid answer as to WHAT we can do to ensure we are suitable to keep our spots?

is there anyone we can protest to that would help? we are unionized, but the union can not do anything cause the whole thing is run by homeland security. i am not talking about striking or anything radical, just a normal way to get the word out and help protect working people from getting the shaft for unknown reasons.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM       
AFGE?

http://www.afge.org/index.cfm?page=C...ocumentID=1200

"With members in members in CBP, Border Patrol, ICE, CIS, FEMA, FLETC and TSA, AFGE represents employees in EVERY Department of Homeland Security Agency. We are the nation's homeland security union. But don't take our word for it. AFGE may speak on your behalf, but we don't speak for you. Hear what your fellow employees have to say. And come election time, vote for AFGE as the sole representative for CBP. AFGE. One DHS, One Union, One Voice"

Maybe them?
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM       
i'll ask my rep tommorow. his name is scooter and he runs a garage.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM       
wait, what? who do you work for?

all i got out of that is that you quite likely do something for the federal government or one of its contractors. :/
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM       
Try to interest your local paper. Push it as an incompteance story, cometent people being canned for no good reason reducing national security, beaurocracy endangering the nation.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM       
I agree with Max.

There's probably internal wheels that could turn in their favor, but those wheels are part of government, and will likely turn slowly. A news story that shows the best and brightest trying to protect our homeland against terrorists being cut because they are normal people is easily digestible. It will sell.

Unfortunately, your clearance most likely prevents you from doing so. I'm sure your ex-co-workers are also similarly enjoined, even after termination.

How about you tell them to get together and request a meeting with a Congressperson/Senator... someone well-placed on a security committee, hopefully up for re-election this year. It will take tact, but it will probably work.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:40 AM       
fyi guys george works in an explosives factory