Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 02:13 PM        Regarding Tarantino's New Movie
New Tarantino Film to Be Released in 2 Parts
By LAURA M. HOLSON

LOS ANGELES, July 15 — Miramax Films will take the unusual and potentially risky move of releasing "Kill Bill," the much-anticipated Quentin Tarantino martial arts action-adventure film, as two movies, the first to open in the fall. Miramax will in effect be taking a three-hour film with a 200-page script and turning it into a serial.

Harvey Weinstein, a co-founder of Miramax, which is financing the film, said in an interview on Monday that the first installment would be in theaters on Oct. 10. The second release date is in still being negotiated, but it could be two to six months later, he said.

To many in Hollywood, the decision will come as a surprise. Mr. Weinstein, who in Hollywood is known as "Harvey Scissorhands," after the title character in the movie "Edward Scissorhands," has a reputation for forcing directors to cut both costs and the lengths of their movies. Mr. Tarantino spent 155 days shooting the film, well more than planned and longer than usual for most films.

But Mr. Weinstein said Mr. Tarantino was something of a special case. The popularity of his violent yet original 1994 film, "Pulp Fiction," helped put Miramax on the map and generated an abundance of cash to help the studio bankroll other movies.

"Miramax is the house Quentin Tarantino built," Mr. Weinstein said. And because of this director's stature he was granted "carte blanche," Mr. Weinstein added.

"Kill Bill'` is Mr. Tarantino's first foray into action filmmaking. His limited body of work also includes the equally violent yet critically praised "Reservoir Dogs."

When Mr. Tarantino first approached Mr. Weinstein about doing "Kill Bill" several years ago, it was with the condition that he be allowed to film the whole 200-page script that he had written. When Mr. Weinstein visited the set in its last month of shooting late last year, Mr. Tarantino said in a statement, Mr. Weinstein brought up the idea of splitting it in two.

No decision was made at the time although Mr. Tarantino shot two opening-credit sequences, he said. Mr. Weinstein said it was not until he visited Los Angeles three weeks ago, when Mr. Tarantino showed him more than an hour and a half of the film, that the two decided on the two-film approach.

"Kill Bill" is the story, told in chapters, of the world's deadliest female assassin, who survives being shot on her wedding day and, after five years in a coma, seeks revenge on the man who tried to kill her. The film's samurai-style fight sequences were filmed largely in China and take place in everything from a nightclub to a snow-covered garden to a suburban home.

"There were no obstacles involved in splitting up `Kill Bill' at all because I've always designed the movie, thought about the film, as malleable in any number of versions," Mr. Tarantino said in his statement. That includes different versions for Asia, America and Europe.

The serial approach to "Kill Bill" has parallels to the making of the second and third installments of the "Matrix" series and "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy, which were filmed as one story but divided into parts and have been released on a staggered schedule. But those films were conceived as multipart releases; "Kill Bill" was not.

Despite the success of the "Matrix" and the "Lord of the Ring" franchises, Miramax's decision carries risks, given the box-office figures for a number of sequels, prequels and serials. Several have been disappointments this summer, including "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle," which received heavy publicity and generally favorable reviews as an enjoyable romp but which still failed to attract crowds. The serial films that have done well at the box office, like the "Matrix" series, have had built-in audiences already interested in the story. "Kill Bill," on the other hand, is from Mr. Tarantino's original screenplay.

Mitigating some of the risk is the movie's price tag, which Mr. Weinstein estimated at more than $55 million, not including marketing costs: less than what many blockbusters cost because many of the actors worked for union-scale wages and because production costs in China are lower than in the United States.

What Miramax and Mr. Tarantino are betting on is that the director's avid fan base and the pent-up interest in "Kill Bill" — which has taken almost a decade to make and is Mr. Tarantino's fifth movie — will pack theaters not once, but twice. Still Mr. Weinstein said he was worried about overselling this film, calling it "just a fun B-movie."

The question is: Fun for whom? "Kill Bill," not unlike other films that Mr. Tarantino has made, is intensely violent. That will limit the people who can see it, particularly the younger action-film audience that studios covet. In one spectacular fight in the "House of Blue Leaves" nightclub, nearly 100 people are killed, according to one person who worked on the set in China. Much has been made of the notion that Mr. Tarantino wanted the blood to be a particularly vibrant red.

"Tarantino is something of an innovator who takes audiences into different realms," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations, a Los Angeles company that analyzes box-office returns.

Miramax has yet to work out the actors' salaries for the two movies, Mr. Weinstein said. The studio is renegotiating contracts, including one for Uma Thurman, who stars as the bride who is shot, and another for Lucy Liu, who plays a member of Bill's hit squad.

Two Hollywood executives familiar with the contracts said the two actresses would receive a percentage of the box-office revenue. Because the contracts were originally based on only one movie, they will have to be changed to reflect the two-part scheme, the executives said. Stars' salary demands can often derail a movie, but Mr. Weinstein expressed confidence that a new agreement would be reached since the actors will not have to shoot new scenes.

Looks nice.

Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/kill_bill/
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 02:01 AM       
This is going to be the coolst movie ever made, there can be no question.

Tarantino = Bloooooood!

Bloooooood! + Swords = Samurai bloodshed!!

Samurai bloodshed + Uma Thurman = Mind blowing, head exploding, face rocking, sword-swinging sex machine!

As you can see, this formula is airtight. Now i just have to wait.
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:33 AM       
This movie would most likely give me a stroke of pleasure if I were to see it. So, I'll just have to get used to living paralized.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 09:08 AM       
I'm fucking pissed about it being in two parts. Dirty fuckers. There have been PLENTY of three hour movies to come out lately and the audience has had NO problem sitting through them. This is just a bullshit scheme for Miramax to make twice the money on one film. Bunch of fucking bastards.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 11:52 AM       
Yeah, I think it's just a money grab. If people are to retarded to sit through a 3 hour movie then it's there loss. Either way, I'm still going ofcourse.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:14 PM       
i saw the trailer to this movie wen i saw equilibream, it looked awesome because none of the anonymous bad guys seem to have a chance at all.

Hahah post 100, and u thought i wouldnt survive
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM       
SCRUU2WICE: Shut up.

I really don't see the point in this. I hope it'll be released on DVD as one film. And if it's not, it better be cheap.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:59 PM       
Two parts? No way, I'll wait for the DVD rental.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 03:08 PM       
I heard the first part holds up well on it's own. :/

C:/ is probably a spambot
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM       
I read the rough draft of the script and this movie is going to be really good.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:48 PM       
Aren't both parts two hours long? I think the world isn't ready yet for four hours of cinema.

Theatre ticket prices here are criminally insane, so I don't go unless I know the movie will be worth it (I just love movie theatres ), but I'm there for Kill Bill.

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 10:12 PM       
No. They're both about an hour and a half. I also read a lot of the script (I would say about first 50 minutes or so) and it looks quite good.

Typical Tarantino (not that that's a bad thing by any means).