Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM        Mexico
Anybody following this? What the hell is going to happen there today? Will the President elect get innaugurated in a hallway? Will he call in the army and force the opposition party to relinquish their share of the Podium? Will W. Senior, who's there as a guest, step in as an impromptu Diplomat? Will there be a constitutional crisis, forcing the appointment of an interim President?

Have our government and media been so focused on the Middle East that we may have totally missed a country on the verge of real trouble right on our doorstep?

Anybody here have anyn sort of background on Mexican politics?
RectalWart is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM       
Thanks for the heads-up Max. I hadn't heard of it. I just went and checked it out, and DAMN! Their government is imploding! I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Don't they have a recount system or anything?

What I'm inferring form what I've read so far, Calderon has a less-than 1% majority, the backing of the outgoing president Fox, and the support of the military?
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM       
Well, he succeeded in taking the oath of office, so for the moment a constitutional crisis is avoided. But what next?

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- Felipe Calderon took the oath of office as Mexico's president Friday amid jeers and whistles in a chaotic ceremony reflecting a divided nation.

Physically protected by ruling party lawmakers and flanked by outgoing President Vicente Fox, Calderon quickly swore to uphold the constitution.

The national anthem was then played, momentarily stilling the catcalls and shouting. Calderon quickly left the chamber as Congress adjourned.

"He did it! He did it!" chanted ruling party lawmakers.

Before Calderon's arrival, opposition lawmakers threw punches and chairs and tried to block the doors of the congressional chamber.

Ruling party lawmakers, chanting "Mexico wants peace," seized the speaker's platform.

The brawl was shown on live television across Mexico. (Watch as Mexican TV broadcasts lawmakers' clashes Video)

Democratic Revolution Senate leader Carlos Navarette had said his party would do everything it could to keep Calderon out.

Democratic Revolution's former presidential candidate, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who claims he was robbed of the presidency, said he will march peacefully with his supporters to the National Auditorium, where Calderon is scheduled to address the nation.

Mexican law prevents security officials from searching lawmakers, and no police were allowed in the congressional chamber.

Amid the chaos, dignitaries began arriving, including former U.S. President George H. W. Bush, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Nicaraguan President Enrique Bolanos, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe and Spanish Prince Felipe Asturias.

"The situation here at Congress isn't worrisome," Bolanos said. "These things happen all over the world."

Anticipating the standoff, the conservative Calderon took control of the presidential residence early Friday in an unusual midnight ceremony with outgoing President Vicente Fox, swearing in part of his Cabinet.

In that closed-door ceremony, broadcast live from Los Pinos, Fox handed the presidential sash to a military cadet as his term ended at midnight.

In the broadcast, Calderon called on Mexicans to leave behind the divisions that have dogged him and the country since the disputed July 2 elections.

"I have received the presidential offices from President Vicente Fox, the start of the process of taking possession of the presidency," Calderon said. "Later, I will appear before Congress to take the constitutional oath."

Lopez Obrador, who lost the presidency to Calderon by less than a percentage point, massed thousands of supporters nearby in the capital's main Zocalo plaza as thousands of riot police surrounded Congress to block them from moving in.

The leftist has refused to recognize Calderon's victory, setting up a parallel government of sorts and declared himself the "legitimate president" of Mexico.

"This shows once again the violence of the PRD," said the ruling party's Senate leader, Santiago Creel.

PRD and ruling party legislators had camped out in the huge congressional chamber since Tuesday, wrestling and shoving for control of parts of the stage and later camping out with pillows, blankets and pizza.

After his inauguration, Calderon was expected to address the nation at the massive and heavily guarded National Auditorium on the other side of Mexico City.

He then planned to go to an adjacent military parade ground where army commanders will swear allegiance to the elected head of state, symbolizing the military's tradition of staying out of politics since the 1930s.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM       
Crappamoli... and I thought our politicians were a disgrace.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM       
It's only to be expected. Not only are they politicians, they're Mexican.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM       
you forget the key part, Mexico has the trifecta of Political not caring.

1. They are not white, therefor don't care if they suffer. (Can i get a whoop whoop from Darfur?)

2. They have no nukes/oil/wmds/real say in the world so solving anything wih them won't garantee reelection, so Meh.

3. They're massive illegal immigration here and the crime over there as well as our trade both legal and underground are serious problems for America and needs to be delt with, therefore we will get around to it last, after were done deciding state birds and keeping the gays from having the butseks.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM       
Quote:
2. They have no nukes/oil/wmds/real say in the world so solving anything wih them won't garantee reelection, so Meh.
not true. Mexico has massive off-shore oil deposits in their territorial waters, as well as large southern deposits of both oil and natural gas. they're simply too inept at harvesting and processing their resources.

I'd be all for a forced re-organization of the Mexican government. anything to get their shit together and make staying on THEIR side of the border more appealing to the populace.
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
Quote:
not true. Mexico has massive off-shore oil deposits in their territorial waters, as well as large southern deposits of both oil and natural gas. they're simply too inept at harvesting and processing their resources.

I'd be all for a forced re-organization of the Mexican government. anything to get their shit together and make staying on THEIR side of the border more appealing to the populace.
Are you telling me that any American with enough financial backing can pick a random mexican and use them to purchase cheap mexican land (cause americans can't directly own land in mexico) l, set up business and drilling there and thanks to Nafta get the oil back over the border tarrif free? Or even go ahead and refine it there to with cheap mexican labour and lower gas prices by introducing cheap mexican gas(resisting urge to make taco bell joke) to the market?

interesting...... I'll be right back.