Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:12 PM        Copyright Infringment
Today I was listening to a song by the Go_Betweens, entitled "For Myself." LIstening to it, I discoevered I had written a song with the same exact chord progression and vocal melody. The weird part is, the song uses a strange variation of a chord, and our arpeggiations sound quite similar. I just thought this was kind of wacky, as it's not some 3 chord punk song that anybody might inadvertantly copy.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

phnompehn is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM       
Well, you know what that means. They built a time machine and came to the future seeking to steal our "space music." And our Snausages.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:44 PM       
zebrahead copied the riff from a song my cousin jeff and I did

-willie
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:56 AM       
I've noticed that a lot of that shit happens when you try to compose music. Being mainly a bass player, I haven't really composed a lot of music beyond coming up with a decent bass line. Ive noticed that with some of the original songs that the few bands I've played with no matter how "original" they sound, you can always find something that sounds similar. It is difficult to be a truely innovative songwriter/composer.

It's all these "coffehouse pen and paper Dylan/Kristofferson wannabee acoustic guitar, pen paper poet/songwriters" I just get sick of. They just need to know that good songwriting takes just a little bit more than chord progession and poetic lyrics.

I dont think its really infringement unless everything if is played note for note and word for word. Plus you need to have it copywrited.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM       
"They just need to know that good songwriting takes just a little bit more than chord progession and poetic lyrics. "

Wrong. Case in point: Leonard Cohen, bitch.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:40 PM       
Nah, I agree with him. He said Dylan wannabees. As in copiers of the originals. I'd say that Cohen is one of the originals.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:53 PM       
But Cohen proves that good lyrics and good chord progressions equal great songs.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM       
Yeah, but the imitators suck, and I think that's what he was trying to say.