Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM        Better watch what you say, lest you end up in a ditch.
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pspoole/echelon.html

It's a global surveillance system.

Goodbye, Carnivore, hello, Echelon.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM       
Um. Isn't this dated before Carnivore?
Mocker
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM       
It's still far more expansive, plus it's still active. Carnivore was suspended (supposedly).
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM       
THE MOON LANDING WAS STAGED!!
Mocker
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:54 PM       
You didn't even click the link, did you.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:07 AM       
Sorry, but I don't tend to trust sites that take themselves seriously, even though they clearly misspelled "highway" in their URL.
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM       
Alright then. How about these:

"How terror talk is tracked," By Megan Lane, BBC News Online, 21 May, 2003:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3041151.stm

"New book on NSA sheds light on secrets: U.S. terror plan called Cuba invasion pretext," By Scott Shane and Tom Bowman, The Baltimore Sun, April 24, 2001:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-te.md.nsa24apr24.story

And...

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170072.html

Newspaper: Echelon Gave Authorities Warning Of Attacks

By Ned Stafford, Newsbytes
FRANKFURT, GERMANY,
13 Sep 2001, 1:16 PM CST

U.S. and Israeli intelligence agencies received warning signals at least three months ago that Middle Eastern terrorists were planning to hijack commercial aircraft to use as weapons to attack important symbols of American and Israeli culture, according to a story in Germany's daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ).

The FAZ, quoting unnamed German intelligence sources, said that the Echelon spy network was being used to collect information about the terrorist threats, and that U.K. intelligence services apparently also had advance warning. The FAZ, one of Germany's most respected dailies, said that even as far back as six months ago western and near-east press services were receiving information that such attacks were being planned.

Within the American intelligence community, the warnings were taken seriously and surveillance intensified, the FAZ said. However, there was disagreement on how such terrorist attacks could be prevented, the newspaper said.

Echelon is said to be a vast information collection system capable of monitoring all the electronic communications in the world. It is thought to be operated by the U.S., the U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand. No government agency has ever confirmed or denied its existence. However, an EU committee that investigated Echelon for more than a year just last week reported its belief that the system does exist.

The EU committee said that Echelon sucks up electronic transmissions "like a vacuum cleaner," using keyword search techniques to sift through enormous amounts of data.

The FAZ, in its news story, described the system as covering the whole world with 120 satellites. The newspaper also said Israeli intelligence had collected information indicated that Arab terrorist groups planned to hijack planes in Europe to use as weapons to attack targets in Tel Aviv and other coastal cities in Israel.

Because of increasing concerns of plane hijackings, Israel has tested a new x-ray machine at the Tel Aviv airport, the FAZ said. The machine capable of detecting all known explosive elements, even if only in small quantities, the newspaper said.

The FAZ said that German intelligence fears that in coming days planes will be hijacked in Europe and the Near East, and that there is no sure way to protect against it.

Reported by Newsbytes.com, http://www.newsbytes.com/ .

13:16 CST
Reposted 14:52 CST

(20010913/WIRES ONLINE, LEGAL, BUSINESS/ECHELON/PHOTO)

© 2001 The Washington Post Company
Dr.Merlin is probably a spambot
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM       
E-L-1 IS WATCHING
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Sorry, but I don't tend to trust sites that take themselves seriously, even though they clearly misspelled "highway" in their URL.

Hiwaay is the ISP....they're a offshoot of WAAY-TV in Huntsville, Alabama