Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:27 AM        Reconstruction money for Iraq: Loan of Grant?
The senate voted to convert 20 of the 87 billion dollar Bush Iraq request into a loan.

I wanted them to vote no, but not for this inane reason. If we loan them the money, we lend credence to the argument taht we went to Iraq for the oil. If we loan them the money, we deny the responsability of an occupying power. If we loan them the money to rebuild things we blew up, we increase their hostility.

The senate should vote no because their is little or no accounting of how that money will be spent. They should vote no becuase two days ago the SRC stated that we have enough money budgeted right now to take us all the way through next May, indicating W. wants the money now so he won't have to ask for it during an election year. They should vote no becuase the Pentagon is giving out no bid cost plus contracts and buying $4000 cell phones that don't work. The senate should vote now because strapped as we are for cash as a country right now, we shouldn't be throwing money away or even explaining where it's being spent. The senate should vote no because we the administration won't even concider rolling back the tax cut and insists on passing these debts on to my kids. The senate should vote no because there's no exit stratgey. The senate should vote no becuase UN resolution or not, we haven't done any of the things that might get other countries to pony up the men and money we need to get ourselves out of this mess.

The loan/grant battle is a canard and can only make things worse. The only reason for this startegy is it appeals to republicans enough to get them to peel away from the administration. Better to loose the fight and get the points across than win and make things worse. Again, the democrats prove themsleves oportunistic and spineless.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 01:44 PM       
I'm sort of torn on this issue, Max. Like you said, it's ridiculous to ask them to pay us back for blowing up their country. It's like we're placing a price tag on their supposed "liberation."

I do however think it's inconsistent of people on the Left to all of a sudden say shit like "Well, what about American roads and schools?" These are the same people who want us to continue shelling out more and more cash aid around the globe. These are also the same people who are currently saying "end the Iraqi occupation NOW," but who 10-20 years from now will be saying "America abandoned Iraq, and now look what happened!"

I'm in favor of us investing in them, and further, I'm in favor of our military staying there, with less emphasis on policing, and more of an emphasis on aiding a transition government, developing infrastructure, rebuilding utilities, etc.

Like yourself, I'd like to see more disclosure about where this money will be focused.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 01:57 PM       
Don't the French owe us some money? Maybe they can use that toward it.

Seriously though, do you actually think they will ever pay us back? What are we going to do, bomb them again?
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM       
They are the largest untapped oil resource in the world, they certainly could pay us back. The question is whether they should HAVE to....
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:08 PM       
Yes, but my point is even if we did only loan the money, would they pay us back anyway?

And would they act now, or wait and see if the interest rates go down?
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:14 PM       
If they wanted continuos aid, military support against hostile nations, etc., they'd at least "intend" to pay us back, me thinks.

Either way, it would almost work out best for us if they didn't pay up. That way, we could keep bases there, and pretty much have a run of the land. Debt= good with nations that can offer America resources and military posture.
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:19 PM       
True enough, but dirty politics like that are what makes America seem like the boogeyman to other nations. It seems like that would hurt foreign relations, but on the other hand, we don't want another Hussein...
Mocker
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:21 PM       
I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Don't the French owe us some money? Maybe they can use that toward it.
Yes, and the former Iraqi government had owed France a lot of money. That and the fact of their financial relationship with France on a variety of levels is part of the reason why France vetoed us in the United Nations. I would hardly attribute their opposition to any code of ethics the french government might have. Reconcile that.

Wherever you go, there you are.