Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ihach is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:58 PM        FFX-2
What in gods name is the story on this game, i know at least james mustve played it. so is it worth buying or what? (ill buy it anyways)
Mocker
EverythingWillSuck is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:42 PM       
IT HAS THREE SCANTILY CLAD POLYGON GIRLS DUH

SO WE ALL JUICE OURSELVES UP AND PRETEND IT'S JUST AN RPG
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:43 AM       
I played a demo, and I read a bit on it (though it seemed to have some minor spoilers, so I stopped). Reviews have been good as well.

The consensus from the reviews, is that the tone of the game is so much more lighthearted than past FF, though there still is that deepness of the plot and the emotions that shine through every now and then. This is the only thing I had to take from reviews, because I didn't get to see anything about the story from the demo.

It's not "girly" or "sex appeal-oriented" as many people had feared. I kept an open mind though during this whole thing, so many people who made up their minds when they heard about something like Yuna singing J-Pop will still hold those opinions and use them to make everything in the game reflect on them. Which is very easy, given the light-hearted feel of the game. There's not a lot to bring you back to the heavy tones present in past games, so your perception will affect how you feel about the game.

The gameplay is hectic. It goes back to the ATB meters, but there's no more waiting for one person to finish their turn for the next person to do theirs. Everything's happening at the same time. So there's a bit of strategy involved in when to make your move, setting up combos between your characters, and so on. It doesn't feel as turn-based as the past games have, which might make many people happy. But the frantic pace of the battles and the timing takes some getting used to, which I couldn't do when being thrown into a battle like that. The actual game prepares you better, I'm sure.

The Job Sphere system is interesting. You switch jobs classes on the fly, developing skills for each. Each job is complete with a Summon-Style cinematic, and a unique outfit for each girl. Just because it's called "Dress-Up," doesn't mean it's silly. It's very much like the job systems from FFV and Tactics, except you change jobs during the ongoing battles. According to the reviews, you'll actually WANT to get into random battles, just so you can switch through multiple jobs during the fight, and develop them more. And while I didn't get to spend much time with it, I can see why they'd feel that way.

The jumping and climbing is no big deal. At all. You can hold down Circle to jump and climb automatically when you come to a spot where you can do it, or you can just press it when needed. When not pressing it, you can't fall of ledges or anything. It just adds more depth to the environments.

The mission system is different. Not bad, just different. A lot of people didn't like how linear FFX (and other games in the series) was. If you're one of those people, don't complain about this. I haven't had any experience with it, but it doesn't sound like something to complain about. The system is also one of the things that reflects on which ending you get. Yes, there are multiple endings.

Oh, and the music is horrible, for the most part. It's not done by the guy who has done the music in the past. It's done by the team who did the music for The Bouncer. It's dreadful for the most part.

Not sure what else to say. I think the drastic changes influence a lot of people into being apprehensive, and maybe even to say that it's not as good as other FF games. But from everything I've seen so far, it's a quality game. And if you liked FFX at all, you'll want to at least continue the story by playing this.
Ihach is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:33 PM       
thanks james, i knew i could count on you, the music thing is a downer though, maybe itll be better in the final game, however all in all this sounds pretty damn cool
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:33 PM       
I haven't actually played it myself, but one of my friends owns it and I watched him play, so I don't know much about the gameplay itself. But, I can tell you that it reminds me a hell of a lot of Charlie's Angels. A whole god damn lot.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:34 PM       
I'll buy and play through this although at first I wasn't sure. Gotta keep the FF collection going. Crystal Chronicles is taking a long time to come out... FFXII looks to have potential as well.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:40 PM       
Now Crystal Chronicle is a game you sure as shit can avoid.

It's a Guantlet-style game, in which you go through levels hacking away at enemies. Strategy seems somewhat limited, aside from the fact that you carry around a magic bucket, and you need to stay inside of its aura so you don't lose health.

The point of the game is it's really meant to be played with 4 players, though there is a single player mode. But in order to play with 4 players, you need, 4 Game Boy Advances and 4 Game Boy/Gamecube Link Cables. That's a pretty tall order to ask of people.

There's not a whole lot of "Final Fantasy" involved in the game, so you should definitely rent it first, before devoting those $50 into it because it's a FF game.

But back to FFX-2. The Charlie's Angels similarities, to me, end with the fact that it's three girls. There's not a whole lot of needless flash and a convoluted shit story like there is in those movies.

Maybe in the full game, some of the music is better. But in the section I played in the demo, the opening game music was the only good thing. The battle music and music for the area were just bad.

And speaking of bad, Yuna's voice actor seems to have improved a little since FFX. But Payne's replaces her in that role. Everything she said in my demo was muttered, forced apathy. However, all she said was two or three lines, so we'll see.

The bottom line is, the game with worth playing. Even if you don't like it, or you have your apprehensions, there's a lot of stuff going on with this game, that you really should play it and expose yourself to the changes in the formula.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:47 PM       
I have never played a FF game and liked it. NEVER.

The way I see it is...It's the same gameplay, just better graphics and different charactes. The plot is just about the same, too. Some bad guy you know is trying to take over the world and you meet a guy, then a girl you just happen to fall in love with, and some more people that don't matter.
I just think the games are completly boring and just don't desirve my time. BUT THAT'S MY OPINION

Nerd is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:08 PM       
Goddammit James you just ruined my high expectations for Crystal Chronicals.

I'm still going to buy it though. Being the Final Fantasy fan boy that I am, not buying X-2 or XII is kinda disapointing. Like Tim said, gotta keep that FF collection going.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 11:39 PM       
I actually thought that the turned based thing was the best part of 10. More strategy is possible. And it was a welcom change over the overused ATB.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 01:48 AM       
Been playing X-2 and so far it is pretty fun. It doesn't seem like the epic-like tale that FFX (one thing I did enjoy about FFX was the story and ending) was but it is enjoyable. It is kind of cool seeing some of the returning characters. I was worried about this whole sequel thingy but seems like they did it pretty well with also making it a whole new game experience. I'm working on some different classes. Rikku makes a pretty bad ass white mage.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:15 PM       
I didn't even know FFX didn't have ATB; I'm still on disc 3 of FFIX.

Remind me to finish that game someday.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:26 PM       
Finish that game some day.

Remind me to finish 8, 9, and 10 some day.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:30 PM       
Don't finish 8, the only interesting thing in the second half of the game is the ending CG, and you can just rip that off the CD with a computer.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:26 PM       
Don't tell him that.

It has some of the best music in any FF game to date. It's way better than FFVII's, and only second in awesomeness to Final Fantasy Tactics.
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:53 PM       
Because I heard it had tubular music is the entire reason that I played that game in the first place. And it is really all we ever discussed after playing it as well. "Dude, wasn't 'Eyes on Me' totally killer?" "Yeah bro, I was like, in a total emotional kind of stage and everything."
I agree, the compositions on the soundtrack are reason enough to purchase and complete FFVIII.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:13 PM       
HEY GUYS, CRYSTAL CHRONICALS IS SHIT BECAUSE IT ISN'T ON THE BEST SYSTEM AROUND, PS2. IF A GAME ISN'T ON PS2, IT FUCKING SUCKS.

Crystal Chronicals is supposed to have the same exact battle things as ANOTHER ONE OF JAME'S FAVORITE GAMES ON PS2. COULD IT BE KINGDOM HEARTS? I THINK IT IS!
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:46 PM       
I suppose...I'd forgotten about "Maybe I'm a Lion," which DOES justify making it to the (pathetically easy) final battle.

EDIT: Thanks, Rongi. I forgot to mention that. No matter how good the music is, the game still munches balls.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:48 AM       
FF8 was the worst FF in the entire series. Even worse then FF2. I cannot see how anyone can even sort of enjoy the game, with it's bland teenage carbon copy characters and horribly shitty plotline.
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:56 AM       
You just described 98% of all RPG's.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 01:02 AM       
No, I just described 98% of all japanese RPGS
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 01:40 AM       
My mistake. Then I suppose you described 94.34% of all RPGs.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 05:08 AM       
Stop being a penis, Supafly. The music in that game is good enough to justify spending a whopping $20 on. You just didn't like the game and would like to think it's because it was a bad game, not because you have shitty taste in RPGs.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 06:41 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch
HEY GUYS, CRYSTAL CHRONICALS IS SHIT BECAUSE IT ISN'T ON THE BEST SYSTEM AROUND, PS2. IF A GAME ISN'T ON PS2, IT FUCKING SUCKS.

Crystal Chronicals is supposed to have the same exact battle things as ANOTHER ONE OF JAME'S FAVORITE GAMES ON PS2. COULD IT BE KINGDOM HEARTS? I THINK IT IS!
When did you become so retarded? Did you fall out of a tree or something a couple months ago?
Slim Goodbody
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 07:30 AM       
I added a little hint in there NinjaVenom that you could just get the soundtrack.
I actually did like the game, I just didn't notice the music. And in my opinion, it is plain ludacris to buy an RPG simply for it's music.
But, according to the experts, the fact that I liked FFVIII is the exact reason why I have shitty taste in RPGs. :/