Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM        Persona 3
There's not a thread about this game. For how many RPG fags we have here I'm surprised by that.

I picked this game up back in November-ish and I have yet to beat it. The game is long as hell and can only be described as possibly the most grind-tastic RPG I've played in a while. This isn't a bad thing necessarily but it's definitely a departure from more recent RPG titles.

Basically the entire game plays like a bizarre mix of Pokemon, Diablo and one of those dating sim games. During the day hours, you spend time in high school, making friends (referred to as "social links"), taking tests, and being emo. During the night time, your school becomes a hideous shifting dungeon filled with cocaine hallucination monsters and an inexplicably large amount of randomly generated money. I say the game has elements from Diablo because the dungeon changes every time you enter it. This makes for an element of luck in that you can't memorize a dungeon's pattern, but it also doesn't leave much for the dungeons to work with graphically, so you kind of have to get used to seeing the same patterns over and over again.

The graphics are overall nothing spectacular for a game released in late 2007, but it's made up for by the richly detailed anime cutscenes, the emotive character portraits, and the excellent voice acting. The music is J-pop hipster stuff that isn't bad but gets very repetitive.

Persona 3: FES is slated to come out on the 22nd of this month, and it adds an extra 30 hours of gameplay and an extra chapter to an already atrociously long game. I'm buying it.