Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:04 PM        TONY BLAIR: AS BAD AS BUSH?
Here's a Blair quote I just pulled, it's from the developing dust up over the possability tat British Intelligence tapped Kofe Anaan's phone.

"Whether intentionally or not, those who do attack the work our security services are doing undermine the essential security of this country," Blair said. "The fact that those allegations were made, I think, is deeply irresponsible."

This is AFTER Blair stated he wasn't going to comment on if the allegations were true or not, but British intelligence never did anything illegal ever.

I keep trying to put some non creepy spin on his statement.

Is he really saying that critisizing what the security services do, no matter what that is and no matter if it's true is deeply irresponsible? I mean, isn't that sort of like saying candidly that the UK has a secret police and they should be able to do anything without protest? Or is he saying that the very notion of the security community EVER doing anything wrong under any circumstances is absolutely inconcievable and impossible?
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:13 PM        Re: TONY BLAIR: AS BAD AS BUSH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Here's a Blair quote I just pulled, it's from the developing dust up over the possability tat British Intelligence tapped Kofe Anaan's phone.

"Whether intentionally or not, those who do attack the work our security services are doing undermine the essential security of this country," Blair said. "The fact that those allegations were made, I think, is deeply irresponsible."

This is AFTER Blair stated he wasn't going to comment on if the allegations were true or not, but British intelligence never did anything illegal ever.

I keep trying to put some non creepy spin on his statement.

Is he really saying that critisizing what the security services do, no matter what that is and no matter if it's true is deeply irresponsible? I mean, isn't that sort of like saying candidly that the UK has a secret police and they should be able to do anything without protest? Or is he saying that the very notion of the security community EVER doing anything wrong under any circumstances is absolutely inconcievable and impossible?
Tony Blair is a smarmy, spineless fuck.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM       
Yeah, but a facist? I mean, that statement, though properly Biritsh and polite and all, has strong facist overtones.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 02:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Yeah, but a facist? I mean, that statement, though properly Biritsh and polite and all, has strong facist overtones.
I wouldn't put it beyond him. After all, he's pretty much betrayed every traditional belief Labour members by participating in the Iraq invasion.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM       
Bt, what's with the consistent quoting?

I thought Tony Blair's political career would have been in the shitter after the brit's allegiance with Bush on the Iraq thing.
Maybe I'm relying too much on people to be AWAKE and PAYING ATTENTION TO THE WORLD AROUND THEM.

On the issue at hand:
This is akin to saying that those who are anti-war do not support the troops, or that disagreeing with the current administration is unpatriotic. You're very right, burbank, he does sound like a fascist in the making.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM       
"Yeah, but a facist? I mean, that statement, though properly Biritsh and polite and all, has strong facist overtones." - Max

Yes Max, he's a liberal facist.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 06:29 AM       
He has lost a huge amount of credibility with those who supported him initially, not least because of the war/hutton inquiry etc, but also because of a lot of domestic crap and his reliance on spin.

"Is he really saying that critisizing what the security services do, no matter what that is and no matter if it's true is deeply irresponsible? I mean, isn't that sort of like saying candidly that the UK has a secret police and they should be able to do anything without protest? Or is he saying that the very notion of the security community EVER doing anything wrong under any circumstances is absolutely inconcievable and impossible?"

-I think its more a case of him not having a leg to stand on, that the allegations of the UK bugging Kofi Annan are more than likely true, and his easiest get out clause is to say that he can never comment on 'security issues'. They used similar phrasing a lot during the war and its aftermath.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:52 AM       
Naldo. tell me something Liberal about an intelligence service that it's leader says is incapable of wrong doing? What's liberal about saying that even questioning this intelligence does damage to the nation?

Both those things are one step away from facism. You've already stated that questioning this branch of government is dangerous. Now all youy have to do is start levelling punhsments for inflicting that damage and you're there.

I'm not that familliar with Blair (and I doubt beyond knowing his party affiliation you are either), but having other positions which might fall into a liberal camp doesn't innoculate you against tending toward facism. Also, what a politician says is lots less important than what he does. So far Blair is just saying awful stuff, and hopefully his party will chuck him before he goes any further.

No liberal I know would think of an intelligence service as secret police and put them above the law.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:22 PM       
The words "liberal" and "put them above the law" only apply to Kennedy's and presidents.

And doubly so when the two are combined.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women