Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:04 PM       
I was just talking about this recently because it seems that regardless of what the universe is, the "Ultimate End" we can reach is either non-existent or meaningless.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM       
Why would you talk about it if it were meaningless? Maybe you guys should study social ineptness.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM       
uhh, because the point is in finding out if it IS meaningless. Also, if it is meaningless it dispels like 95% of everybody's personal belief system.

fartin, saying things like that is really stupid ;(

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange when people rag on philosophy? Especially in this modern age which is largely the summation of philosophy.

ps 3) Don't be an anti-topic poster. I know we all do it, but let's try to stop it. For example, if there's a thread on gay rights, feel free to post in support or opposition to the issue. However, if you make a post that says something like "omg, guys, why are we talking about this, it sucks, lol," I'll delete it. An abundance of stupid posts will drown out the quality posts, which we don't want happening. that's you fartin
Although I thought your question was a good question, I can just feel your anti-topic pretention through the computer.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM       
Quote:
I can just feel your anti-topic pretention through the computer.

I'm watching A&E Biography of Courntey Love and I'm making an Egg sandwich
BANNED

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM       
how fitting that you'd be learning about courtney love with a mouth full of eggs. Now THATS a complete educational experience.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM       

one of these people knows the meaning of life.
woop woop
SKATERMONKEY is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM       
So does this guy. I mean.. look at him!

*pics removed as they weren't displaying and were causing the screen to scroll sideways.*
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
ps 3) Don't be an anti-topic poster. I know we all do it, but let's try to stop it. For example, if there's a thread on gay rights, feel free to post in support or opposition to the issue. However, if you make a post that says something like "omg, guys, why are we talking about this, it sucks, lol," I'll delete it.
Kahljorn can delete other people's posts?!
BANNED

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM       
yea dude look out

if i wasn't such a nice guy and understood that fartin is already suppressed oppressed and censored this thread wouldn't even exist. Put that in your existentialist pipe and smoke it.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:42 PM       
The meaning of Life by Fartin Mowler

Egg heads (someone that thinks they are smart) piss me off. An Egghead is in the same family as a Helmet Heat (someone with low mental capacity) that thinks that if they read a bunch of shit by people that someone said is smart they join a club of elite social outcasts. You know what? you don't and I'm smart because I've lived my life knowing that in any situation I might die and It wouldn't matter if I was smart when I did it.

Last edited by FartinMowler : Feb 15th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
BANNED

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM       
Yea man fartinmowler knows what's up he lives his life on a message board on the internet typing away never using his brain that's the way to live man don't use your brain the internet can exist without it and so can message boards and languages and authors and all this other crap that you fill your life with.

go live in a forest you jackass and quit trying to act like you're some zen master or some shit because you don't read books. MY LIFE IS SO COOL AND MEANINGFUL BECAUSE I NEVER READ A BOOK AND I PLAYED MUSIC GUITAR AND HAD "FUN" WEEE. I DONT HAVE TO BE SMART TO DIE HAR HAR.
None of this meaning you ascribe your life is going to matter after you die, either. All this, "I did it" crap isn't going to mean a damn thing, and you're not going to sit around after you're dead going, "I DID IT MYSELF" bragging to people because you'll be dead. So don't try to act like what you do has more meaning than anything else because you did it without books.

And again uh you're stupid. The life you live now is attributable entirely to "dumb brainy smarties." People who had ideas like industry and freedom and shit like that. You can live your life like an empty douchebag because of them, but don't try to act like your life is more meaningful than theirs at the same time -- because the "Meaningful life" you have only has meaning because of them. Probably everything in your life you would call "Meaningful" (like your freedom) comes from some egg-heads ideas. Chances are, those egg heads read other eggheads.
Conclusion: Shut the fuck up.

the end. dumb head.
BANNED

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM       
"These tasks, and therefore the meaning of life, differ from man to man, and from moment to moment. Thus it is impossible to define the meaning of life in a general way. Questions about the meaning of life can never be answered by sweeping statements. "Life" does not mean something vague, but something very real and concrete, just as life's tasks are also very real and conrete. They form man's destiny, which is different and unique for each individual. No man and no destiny can be compared with any other man or any other destiny. No situation repeats itself, and each situations calls for a different response. Sometimes the situation in which a man finds himself may require him to shape his own fate by action. At other times it is more advatageous for him to make use of an opportunity for contemplation and to realize assets in this way. Sometimes man may be required simply to accept fate, to bear his cross. Every situation is distinguished by its uniqueness, and there is always only one right answer to the problem posed by the situation at hand."

that's from a BOOK i was READIng last night.

ps I might disagree with that last statement a bit, for there's certainly ambigous answers to some problems, or even just problems that can have more than one solution. Some answers might be better than other answers, though, so there could be a degree of rightness ;o
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM       
Quote:
kahljorn "These tasks, and therefore the meaning of life, differ from man to man, and from moment to moment. Thus it is impossible to define the meaning of life in a general way. Questions about the meaning of life can never be answered by sweeping statements. "Life" does not mean something vague, but something very real and concrete, just as life's tasks are also very real and conrete. They form man's destiny, which is different and unique for each individual. No man and no destiny can be compared with any other man or any other destiny. No situation repeats itself, and each situations calls for a different response. Sometimes the situation in which a man finds himself may require him to shape his own fate by action. At other times it is more advatageous for him to make use of an opportunity for contemplation and to realize assets in this way. Sometimes man may be required simply to accept fate, to bear his cross. Every situation is distinguished by its uniqueness, and there is always only one right answer to the problem posed by the situation at hand."
Yesterday I walked and thought and then it came to me that if I go back to the place that I walked before I might find what I was looking for. I went back and looked and there on the ground lay a little bird wounded. I knelt down and said to the little bird "Little bird what is the meaning of life?" and the little bird looked up at me with his little eyes and said "Don't fly into fucking windows"
BANNED

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM       
I hope that's a joke mister.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
Then why not admit defeat and kill oneself? That's what it's all about, isn't it? Or are you saying there's a better question to be asked?
More the latter. I think the question "what is the meaning of life?" is ill-posed and too ambiguous to be meaningful, heh. Meaning for whom? Life in general? Human life? An individual's life? Your life?

And what do you mean by meaning? Teleology? An end, or purpose to life? The value of life? The function of life? I think if you mean to say "purpose of life" that's one thing, maybe more explicable, but the concept "meaning of life" is strange to me. "Meaning of your life", or mine, that may be easier to understand.
Mocker
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:47 AM       
As for me, I have varying ideas, but to respond to Fartin's remark as paraphrased by Seth, I am of the opinion that our subjective experience imbues a sense of value and purpose to OUR lives. OUR lives have meaning, if you will, because of our memories, our narrative stories, our histories and future aspirations, values, dreams, and goals. I don't see what more meaning you could really want.
Mocker
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
Or, as Sartre said, "existence precedes essence". That's the crux of Existentialism. But does that mean that if we find no essence/meaning, we should feel liberated to call it quits?
Well, for Sartre essence or facticity is basically everything that doesn't include consciousness. So, we all necessarily have "essence", and our past counts as part of that essence, or being-in-itself. I'm not sure I understand.
BANNED

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM       
How are memories, narrative stories, histories and future aspirations meaningful? Objectively and truthfully, they are meaningless. Telelogically they are meaningless. In what ultimate end, in what ideal of man, will you find his memories, narrative accounts and histories? Maybe you can find an ultimate end in the future, but it's not very close and you have no idea when it will come or what it will be.

the question what is the meaning of life is ambiguous. That's what sethomas was talking about when he said existence proceeds essence. Existence proceeds meaning is pretty similar. In order for anything to have meaning, existence must exist. So does that mean things are intrinisically meaningless? It's also a statement that meaning only exists subjectively. "LIFE MEANS DIFFERENT THINGS TO DIFFERENT THINGS".
the meaning of life is to live lol
Mocker
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:11 AM       
Quote:
How are memories, narrative stories, histories and future aspirations meaningful? Objectively and truthfully, they are meaningless.
And how are they objective? My entire point (and yours) is that meaning is necessarily subjective, and what we do over the course of our lives creates that meaning.

Quote:
That's what sethomas was talking about when he said existence proceeds essence. Existence proceeds meaning is pretty similar ... It's also a statement that meaning only exists subjectively.
Well, exactly.
Mocker
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM       
Quote:
"LIFE MEANS DIFFERENT THINGS TO DIFFERENT THINGS".
The content of that meaning will differ, but I'm arguing that the structure of the meaning (histories, narrative stories, futures etc.) is basically the same for all people.
BANNED

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:19 AM       
Subjective meaning doesn't really have any real meaning. it's subjective and based on the individual. sometimes it might not even be meaningful. creating meaning basically means filling things with empty meaning to make yourself feel like you mean something. Nothing means anything, stranger face.
Like I said, if meaning is subjective doesn't that mean meaning is inherently meaningless, especially insofar as ultimate ends and having a point to existence?
and what do we value, really? don't we usually value most the surreal and objective forces? don't we value ultimate ends and meaningful lives insofar as achieving that ultimate end.