Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:40 AM        Re: Martin Fowler and the meaning of life
I posted a very similar thread to this probably about a year ago when I discovered Camus, but times change and so have I. I want to hear your thoughts.

Fartin made a comment about how futile it is to just think too goddamn much, as I'm wont to do. I've been at every corner of the existential spectrum, from blind acceptance of life's value in se et per se to crumbling in self-loathing for my having yet to end my one of billions of pointless lives in light of the fact that all life is pointless. When I dangle in the middle, I've often talked to perennial residents of each part of that spectrum. I ask the one "why keep going?" and the other "what the fuck is wrong with you?"

I think that the question is only really substantive if one doesn't consider the possibility of an afterlife. Right now I believe in a positive afterlife for those who earn it, although I make no claim to understanding its means. As for hell, I think that oblivion is punishment enough. Augustine defined evil as the privation of good, and I think that it's enough for evil souls enough to exist only long enough to highlight the good of others rather than necessitating an infinite expanse of time in excruciating physical pain.

That was a tangent, but what I was saying is that there's a certain integrity to living life as we do without expect of reward or fear of punishment. Or, alternately, the fear of perdition versus the reward of paradise should cancel each other out to require a fundamental internal reason for continuing in life. In the Book of Psalms heaven was promised as a balance for "this vale of tears"; the back of my book proposes my theory as a justification for "the stochastic fumbling of being and nothingness." But to assume nothing to existence but a lachrymose jumble of space and particles, why bother?

Kurt Vonnegut answered this question by saying that it was curiosity that put him through all these years. Despite Emerson's warning that imitation is suicide, I tend to fall in this line. If life is all we have, I may as well see what all I can get from it. I loathe philosophically-grounded egoism, but that is in fact the logical extension of nihilism. I would love to live for others, but I realize the irrationality of that. It's of little point to avoid hurting others with your departure if their equally pointless lives will end in a geological microsecond, isn't it?

So, I write this in a good time in my life when I have a wonderful significant other, a functional mental chemistry, and what's probably an irrational optimism for my own future. So, I figure, why not see what's next?

In that thread, what works for you guys?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM       
It's almost as though you think I know what the meaning of life is :/

In the movie Judge Dredd (1995):

* Warden Miller: So tell me, Rico, what is the meaning of life?
* Rico: It ends.

wouldn't it be ironic if I'm the one that someday explains all the answers to you
Out of his element.
DehydratedPorkMan is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM       
Watch the movie Pi.

Loosely translated because my DVD player is broken:
"I named him Icarus, after you. You fly too high. If you keep thinking too hard you'll get burned."

It's something like that.

Going off on a tangent, too, but you mentioned it as well. I have a pessimistic view on heaven and hell and it's pretty basic. Because I'm bi-polar, I believe that your struggle through life is hell and when you die, your eternal peace is your heaven. Nobody I told that to has ever been happy about the view.

"At that moment an unending stream of traffic crossed over the bridge."
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM       
I'm going to not respond to seth cause he kind of said everything I would've already said
I think it's gay when people associate the meaning of life as, "GOING OUT TO PARTIES AND DRINKING WITH FRIEESESDNS LIVING LIFE THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE LIVED IN SOCIAL CIRCLES BECOMING THE TOP OF THE SOCIAL HIERARCHY YAYAYAYA"
I mean what do you do Fartin Mowler that involves living life so much?

Don't many authors and poets end up KILLING THEMSELVES? There's plenty of poets and authors who have shitty lives and they end up being so shitty because they "Live life too much". Look at Bukowski. Any author or poet who acts like they enjoy being miserable is a liar. That's partly how you can tell a GOOD writer from a BAD writer when the characters feelings are actually appropriate to a situation.
I mean seriously it's not like EVERY poet and author has THE MOST INTERESTING LIVES EVER or something ;/

I think that regardless of if you are having intellectual studies or going out drinking with friends and making funy jokes that everyone laughs at you're still "Alive" and "Living life". I would say that INTELLECTUALISM created your ability to drink and make funny jokes with friends (language right) and everything you know and love and feel comfortable about in life was created by intellectualism. It's kind of dumb to insult people who read books when it's usually them who end up improving life.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM       
Quote:
I mean what do you do Fartin Mowler that involves living life so much?
still havn't a sense of humour even though you know the world around you is somewhat doomed Men like Oppenheimer thought to much :/
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM       
You didn't answer my question.

"created your ability to drink and make funny jokes with friends" I also said that. I guess you think making funny jokes and laughing is what living life is all about.

Also I do have a sense of humor sorry if my "Sense of humor" doesn't mean that I make everything in life a joke even the things that dont have to be, but then I don't really understand what you're saying. I guess that's not GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR HIGHFLYING FREELIFELIVING experiences.

Plus don't act like it's all a joke then afterwards follow it up by saying, "PEOPLE LIKE OPENHOUSEHEIMER THOUGHT TOO MUCH SERIOUSLY".

I think it's funny that whenever people talk about the meaning of life or "LIving life" they always do it by talking about what they think they're good at.

I think "Living life" might mean a bit more than being able to laugh when things go wrong. I mean, that's nice and all, but there's alot more. Like, for example, if you want to um i dont know live life and you were a caveman or a villager you'd have to go out and kill pigs or pick berries that's not a joke i don't think they were laughing about it, maybe afterwards but still that was laughter in the expediecy of the moment because the actions required to remain alive had already taken place and they could relax and laugh.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM       
Quote:
"created your ability to drink and make funny jokes with friends" I also said that. I guess you think making funny jokes and laughing is what living life is all about.
How did you get that from
Quote:
I don't respect people that don't take the time to understand that the true poets and authors lived life to explain life not bitch and moan.
Quote:
I think it's funny that whenever people talk about the meaning of life or "LIving life" they always do it by talking about what they think they're good at

this is a fun read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM       
How bout don't think about it, it wont matter to you because your DEAD. Its like Going to sleep except like a billion times more nonexistent.
BANNED

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM       
"I mean what do you do Fartin Mowler that involves living life so much?"

"still havn't a sense of humour even though you know the world around you is somewhat doomed"

I don't see what seth "Bitching and moaning" has to do with cosmological arguments intended to explain the universe ;/
I guess I should be saying:
"How did you get that from that?"
BANNED

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM       
the reason I assumed you were talking about funny jokes is because you've done this "YOURE OVERTHINKING" thing too much allong side the, "YOU'RE A STUFFY INTELLECTUAL GET OUT AND LIVE LIFE" thing as well and it always ends up in you making a bunch of jokes and showing how "Carefree" you are.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:47 PM       
why do you use caps?

I'm not carefree, of course I get stressed about the simplest things in life that matter, not things I can't have any possible control over.
BANNED

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM       
I almost always use caps when I'm trying to overexagerate.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM       
Quote:
CHICAGO (AFP) - The world is inching closer to nuclear Armageddon, a group of prominent scientists and security experts said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists has kept a Doomsday clock since 1947 as a reminder of the dangers of nuclear proliferation.

The clock will be moved forward Wednesday at simultaneous events in Washington and London whose speakers will include physicist Stephen Hawking, the Chicago-based periodical said in a statement.

The Bulletin warned that the world had entered a "Second Nuclear Age marked by grave threats."

It cited the nuclear ambitions of
Iran and
North Korea; escalating terrorism; unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing "launch-ready" status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the United States and Russia, and "new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks."

First set at seven minutes to midnight -- a phrase that has become part of pop culture -- the clock has been moved 17 times in response to global events.

The most recent shift was in 2002 when it moved two minutes forward because the United States withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty and terrorists were known to be seeking nuclear and biological weapons.

It currently stands once again at seven minutes to midnight, the closest to danger since the end of the Cold War.

Founded in 1945 by scientists who had helped develop the atomic bomb and were deeply concerned about the use of nuclear weapons, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists counts 17 Nobel laureates among its boards of directors and sponsors.

Here are the dates and reasons for previous changes:

- 2002: Seven minutes to midnight

The United States rejects a series of arms control treaties and announces it will withdraw from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. Terrorists seek to acquire and use nuclear and biological weapons.

- 1998: Nine minutes to midnight

India and Pakistan "go public" with nuclear tests. The United States and Russia cannot agree on further deep reductions in their nuclear stockpiles.

- 1995: Fourteen minutes to midnight

Further arms reductions stall while global military spending continues at Cold War levels. Risks of nuclear "leakage" from poorly guarded former Soviet facilities increase.

- 1991: Seventeen minutes to midnight

The United States and the Soviet Union sign the long-stalled Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) and announce further unilateral cuts in tactical and strategic nuclear weapons.

- 1990: Ten minutes to midnight

The Cold War ends as the Iron Curtain falls.

- 1988: Six minutes to midnight

The United States and the Soviet Union sign a treaty to eliminate intermediate-range nuclear forces; superpower relations improve; more nations actively oppose nuclear weapons.

- 1984: Three minutes to midnight

The arms race accelerates.

- 1981: Four minutes to midnight

Both superpowers develop more weapons for fighting a nuclear war. Terrorist actions, repression of human rights, and conflicts in
Afghanistan, Poland and South Africa add to world tension.

- 1980: Seven minutes to midnight

The deadlock in US-Soviet arms talks continues; nationalistic wars and terrorist actions increase; the gulf between rich and poor nations grows wider.

- 1974: Nine minutes to midnight

SALT talks reach an impasse; India develops a nuclear weapon.

- 1972: Twelve minutes to midnight

The United States and the Soviet Union sign the first Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty and the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.

- 1969: Ten minutes to midnight

The US Senate ratifies the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

- 1968: Seven minutes to midnight

France and China acquire nuclear weapons; wars rage in the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, and Vietnam; world military spending increases while development funds shrink.

- 1963: Twelve minutes to midnight
I'm going to a band practice today and hope I do well
BANNED

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 01:59 PM       
Don't overthink it :0
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM       
Personally, I think that we're just going into another terrifying Cold War. (Call me an optimist.)
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM       
I remember when the band Rush came out with there album Grace under pressure and it really had me freaked out. I used to have nightmares about shit like that back in the early eighties and look what happened to him.

Quote:
Distant Early Warning
------- ----- -------
An ill wind comes arising
Across the cities of the plain
There's no swimming in the heavy water --
No singing in the acid rain
Red alert
Red alert

It's so hard to stay together
Passing through revolving doors
We need someone to talk to
And someone to sweep the floors --
Incomplete
Incomplete

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what am I to do?
you sometimes drive me crazy --
But I worry about you

I know it makes on difference
To what you're going through
But I see the tip of the iceberg --
And I worry about you...

Cruising under your radar
Watching from satellites
Take a page from the red book --
Keep them in your sights
Red alert
Red alert

Left and rights of passage
Black and whites of youth
Who can face the knowledge
That the truth is not the truth?
Obsolete
Absolute
Quote:
On August 10, 1997, Peart's daughter and only child, 19-year-old Selena Taylor, was killed in a single-car accident somewhere between Ottawa and Toronto. His common-law wife of 22 years, Jaqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later on June 20, 1998. Peart, however, maintains that her death was the result of a "broken heart" and called it "a slow suicide by apathy. She just didn't care." [1]
BANNED

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM       
FARTIN MOWLER AND THE MEANING OF LIFE:
Quote:
Fartin Mowler and his partner Mr. Will Graham are heading to what might be the most difficult case in their lives.

Mr. Will Graham (sitting in the passenger seat)

I had a dream last night that I’m walking past a huge group of people protesting global warming, and as I walk by I let out a fart

Fartin Mowler

And good a morning to you, what kind of fart?

Mr. Will Graham

Not a wet fart (pauses and clenches his ass) it was a really perfect sounding fart, like a French horn

Fartin Mowler (does a funky black guy voice)

I like the French horn, if I was going to mix a cool song I would have French horn and some hot black chicks dancing in my video

Mr.Will Graham

Then…(rolls his eyes) less than a few feet away there sits a sweet old lady in a bright yellow rain coat giggling and she looks like she’s trying to clench her ass and does the spontaneous combustion thing.

Fartin Mowler (unclenches his ass)

People don’t just combust

Mr. Will Graham (raises his voice really loud starts using his hands wildy to explain how scary his dream was)

Protesters then start running over and beating the old lady trying to put her out but it’s no good, she explodes with a rain of plastic rain coat and body pieces landing everywhere lighting the protesters on fire

Fartin Mowler (hearing the call on the radio Fartin drives even faster)

So it’s an Irony thing?

Mr. Wil Graham (hands are still up in the air from his wild out burst of emotion)

(To be continued)
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=24782
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM       
Sorry for the bump, but I decided to make this a YouTube challenge because I want to be online popular and shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saFMfd10tNg

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM       
Thank goodness for your tangents and irrational optimism.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM       
I think the question is so hopelessly confused it's meaningless.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM       
Then why not admit defeat and kill oneself? That's what it's all about, isn't it? Or are you saying there's a better question to be asked?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:19 AM       
It's not a question...the meaning of life is finding meaning to your life
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM       
Or, as Sartre said, "existence precedes essence". That's the crux of Existentialism. But does that mean that if we find no essence/meaning, we should feel liberated to call it quits?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM       
Do your farts smell better than mine?
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM       
This is the best thread ever....EVER!