Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 12:14 PM        Building a computer for music recording
So far I have

Asus 4B266 motherboard (on board sound) good or bad?
intel celeron 2.4 gig chip
80 gig hard drive
box 300w with extra 4 USB

I need to buy a video card and I want to get a better program like Cubasis or Adobe Audition but still would like some advice on if I should buy a seperate soundcard and does the quality of a video play any part in my building?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM       
"a better program like Cubasis"

Cubasis is the stripped down wimpy version of Cubase.

For recording software, you'll want Cubase, Cakewalk (Sonar), or Pro Tools depending on your preferences and budget. And there's a reason people who don't know what they're talking about refer to all audio software as Pro Tools; it's really that good.

No onboard sound is ever good, especially in terms of connectivity. You don't want to plug everything into one or two 1/8" jacks, do you? Get a sound card, prefereably one with a breakout box. Probably an Audigy, unless you have enough cash laying around for a professional quality one.

A video card is unnecessary unless you're going to use the computer for other things like playing games or editing video.

Good speakers are important if you're doing any audio processing or mastering. I'll sell you my Monsoon 2.1 set for 80 bucks...

And the number one most important thing is to have lots of memory; playing with audio you'll need 256, you'll want 512, and you might be able to use a gig. And FAST memory if you can, but for that you'll need better than a 266 motherboard (which is what I have ).
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:32 PM       
I wouldnt have gotten a celeron.

Onboard sound is defenetly not as bad as what it used to be, some is actually quite good. I am not sure the sound chipset that mb uses so i dont knwo, I dont think i would recommend an audigy though, i would get an m-audio card or somethign instead.

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 04:17 PM        re:
just use a cassette recorder. you can usually get them for $1 at a yard sale or something. it'll save you money which you can then spend on gadgets to make sounds with.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:41 PM       
I know that I shouldn't have bought the Celeron but it was cheaper I think I will go for an audigy sound card later. Ive been using a very cheap cakewalk program that I think is even a step below Cubasis that is horrible and would like to have anything that I can make a clean recording that doesn't drop out. I have Altec lansing speakers with a sub that sounds ok.