Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 04:44 AM        Company of Heroes - Awsome RTS
The full game of this is getting released today in the US (09/14/06). It really is a fantastic game and I advise anyone with any interest in RTS gaming to check it out.
Firstly the graphics are incredible; the explosions look amazing, the units are rediculously detailed and generally it looks awsome.

Physics are equally good. All units have realistic ragdoll physics and the environment is fully destructible.

Last but certainly not least the gameplay mechanics work really well. You get resources based on how many capture points you have but also once you capture a point you control that territory. It's hard to explain but this not only gives you a front line but also allows you to cut supply lines of your enemy. It's alot of fun reinforcing your frontline with tank traps, barbed wire, bunkers, MG nests, mortar teams and just about every other WW2 prop you can think of.
Other small touches like how MGs, mortars, artillery, anti-tank guns ,etc remain on the floor once their team is killed allowing you to take control of them and turn them on the enemy.

Review
Single player demo

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:56 AM       
Tis an awesome game. its alot like dawn of war. but they where made by the same company.

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:05 AM       
yeah its running the same engine as Dawn of War, but they've jacked everything up to 11 for this game.

Large scale infantry engagements are amazing its like playing Brothers in arms form a top down perspective.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM       
I definately want to try this one out. So far, I have heard only good things about it.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM       
I've been playing it quite a bit recently. Lots of 2+ hour long skirmish games, which are really fun. Especially if you have a well defended front line so you can build up artillery, shell control points then move troops and engineers in to extend the front line.

One of my favourite units are the Axis' Walking stuka enhanced half-track. It unleashes a large and powerful rocket barrage which can hit fairly distant targets with a fairly reasonable spread.
Also the Axis' heavy flak cannon is insanely strong - really hard to take out if you are facing one due to it's extremely long range but if you have on one your side you can pretty much leave it alone and let it decimate any approaching units.

Overall, great game.
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM       
I just took Hill 192 yesterday... hell of a fight.

I hope they expand the game to include the British and Soviets, and the Japanese too.

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM       
The amount of tactics this game conjures up is astounding. You can try and turtle but the command point system negates that almost completely and the adding of BAR's to infantry teams, or Panzershreks to the grenadiers makes the game redisulously entertaining.

I'm still fuzzy as to what the Americans tactic is, so far I've only been able to win by calling in a pair of Pershing tanks and fucking up a german encampment.

I want the whole shebang from this game, "Allies" is way too general a term for the non Axis side of the war, they leave out Canada, France, Britain.

But the inclusion of a russian campaign or a Pacific campaign would be amazing.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM       
I just finished a 4ish hour skirmish against 2 computer teams. It was on one of the river maps where there are three bridges. I ended up blowing two of them then setting up a huge killzone at the third; surrounding it with bunkers, AT guns, tank traps, barbed wire - just about everything going.
Then I buit up some artillery and an attack force and began pushing forwards, making sure supply lines did not get too stretched.

'twas a fun game but lasted way too long. I got to the stage where I wasn't even sure I was enjoying it but just had to beat the nazis.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM       
I was looking for this after I watched the commercial and couldn't find it on the Microsoft site....I've been playing DOD source for months and anticipate a new game. I tried Red Orchestra from Steam and was very dissapointed...Glad to see another fan of this type of game...I doubt I would pick up hookers with you though :/
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia
I just finished a 4ish hour skirmish against 2 computer teams. It was on one of the river maps where there are three bridges. I ended up blowing two of them then setting up a huge killzone at the third; surrounding it with bunkers, AT guns, tank traps, barbed wire - just about everything going.
Then I buit up some artillery and an attack force and began pushing forwards, making sure supply lines did not get too stretched.

'twas a fun game but lasted way too long. I got to the stage where I wasn't even sure I was enjoying it but just had to beat the nazis.
I totaly agree, this game takes ahold of you in the same way WOW does, you don't want to play anymore after a 2+ hour long skirmish, but you don't want to give up. I have yet to purchase it so all I have is the demo map with a small town in the centre and outlying farms, its a pain in the ass to defend because theres 2 ways to the Axi's base while the allies are exposed from almost any side, it does allow for great house ot house combat wich is by far the most entertaining portion of gameplay. Rolling up a pair of Shermans and sending a tank shell through a wall and watching the soldier occupying the romm that was hit with the shell get sent tunmbling inot the air as the building collapses around the now supportless area.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM       
One thing which irritates me is that vehicles cannot run down soldiers normally. This is especially annoying when it comes to AT guns, mortar teams and MG teams. Similarly I don't like how if you flank one of the aformentioned postions with troops they just stand there shooting at the enemy units while they turn the gun around. I would love it if units would go hand to hand when they got really close.#
It would add alot fo realism if soilders could wrap rifle butts around enemie's heads.

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM       
Anyone intrested in getting a game together? best bet would be through hamachi.

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:09 PM       
My graphics card couldn't handle this game I could watch the intro and even the part with them landing on the beach, but that's it...
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidKraut
I want the whole shebang from this game, "Allies" is way too general a term for the non Axis side of the war, they leave out Canada, France, Britain.

But the inclusion of a russian campaign or a Pacific campaign would be amazing.
Maybe they'd have included france if they hadn't got their asses handed to em in the first 10 minutes of the war.

But I agree, Russian and Pacific campaigns would be awesome

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM       
Has anyone here set up a line of sandbags and lined it with 2 Field cannons, and liek 5 Machine guns? The amount of chaos is creates is astounding for an RTS. Its fun pushing your opponent into a corner of the map while you fan out and take all the resource points.

Also I'm pretty sure I have mini orgasms when I drop V1's
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM       
Those are called lemon drops.