Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 03:10 PM        Courts to Examine State Contraceptive Laws
gotta love the Catholic Church

-------------------------------------------
Courts to Examine State Contraceptive Laws
2 hours, 9 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By DAVID KRAVETS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - If you don't believe in the law, do you have to follow it?

That's the question before courts in New York and California, which are being asked to exempt branches of the Catholic Church from state laws requiring contraceptives be included in employee prescription drug plans. Under church doctrine, contraception is a sin.

"The Catholic Church explicitly teaches that artificial contraception is morally unacceptable and, if knowingly and freely engaged in, sinful," Catholic Charities of Sacramento attorney James Sweeney said.

After California's law was enacted in 2000, the group unsuccessfully sought a court ruling to bar the law from being enforced on the church's charity outreach programs. A state appeals court also denied the church relief. Now the California Supreme Court is set to hear the case Dec. 2.

Versions of the law have been adopted in 20 states after lawmakers concluded private employee prescription plans without contraceptive benefits discriminated against women. Lawyers closely following the debate said the only other legal challenge is in the lower courts of New York, before a judge of the Supreme Court of Albany County.

California's case is years ahead of the New York litigation, and civil rights groups, health care companies and Catholic organizations have filed extensive position papers with the court.

"It certainly could be very persuasive on other courts," said Rebekah Diller, a New York Civil Liberties Union director who is following the litigation.

At issue is a collision of the right of a religion to practice what it preaches and the newly acquired rights of thousands of women employed by church-affiliated groups to be insured for contraceptives.

Catholic Charities directly employs more than 1,000 workers in California and New York, but a ruling favoring the charity could also prevent more than 100,000 employees at 77 church-affiliated hospitals in California and New York from benefiting from the laws.

State regulators point to U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) rulings in favor of a ban on polygamy, despite objections from Mormons, and against Native Americans who were denied unemployment insurance after being fired for using peyote during religious ceremonies.

"The church's claim that it is coerced into violating its religious beliefs by a state law requiring health insurance plans and disability policies to include prescription contraceptive coverage is nonsense," said California Deputy Attorney General Meg Hollaran.

The two states note that churches are exempt from having to provide contraception coverage for employees who work inside parishes and houses of worship. That is known as the "religious employer exemption" because the parishes generally serve worshippers and employ those with similar religious views.

Several states have no such exemptions for religious entities. Other versions exempt church groups and "qualified church-controlled organizations."

Catholic Charities had a $76 million budget in California alone last year and provided social services to persons of any religion or background. It does not demand that its workers are Catholic or share the church's philosophy.

The organization, however, says it is carrying out the work of Jesus, and by the law's definition, "Mother Teresa would be forced to offer contraceptives," said Carol Hogan, a spokeswoman for the California Catholic Conference.

Sweeney added that the law is "un-American and disturbing" because of its "disrespect of religious, moral views."

Sweeney pointed out that even the nation's military allows for the religious views of conscientious objectors by keeping them off the front lines, and that laws demanding certain traffic-safety markings on Amish horsecarts have been nullified because they treaded on the Amish lifestyle.

An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) argued that siding with the Catholics would, in essence, impose the church's doctrine on thousands of non-Catholic women who work at the church's hospitals or social-service agencies.

"Catholic Charities' noncompliance with California law would injure three fundamental rights of the people who work for the social services agency: gender equality, reproductive autonomy and religious freedom," attorney Margaret Crosby told California's high court in briefs.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists views the dispute as a health issue. Contraception gives women a chance to plan for a pregnancy, which the groups say makes for healthier mothers and babies.

"To ignore the health benefits of contraception is to say that the alternative of 12 to 15 pregnancies during a woman's lifetime is medically acceptable," said Catherine Hanson, the groups' attorney.

The 20 states that require private-sector insurance coverage for prescription contraceptives include Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Georgia, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont and Washington.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 03:38 PM       
That's right kids, condoms were invented by Satan himself! If you want to have sex, YOU HAVE TO HAVE KIDS! IT IS A RULE!! If sex were used for anything OTHER than procreation, then it would feel really good to do and...oh, wait a sec...
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 08:07 PM       
Satan is a big advocate of condoms. Especially for stupid people.

Let's hear it for mandatory contraception! Especially for rednecks and gangsters!

But seriously. Your sin is not my sin. Just because your insurance policy covers contraceptives doesn't mean you have to use them, and I won't believe that adding contraceptives increases the price of coverage more than nominally. The Catholics have no case.
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:44 AM       
who needs condoms when you are exclusively fucking little boys? no herpes, aids, or pregnancy there.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.

WorthlessLiar is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 02:18 AM        re
I used to think ambivalence to these sorts of rules was what being Catholic was all about. Then, after long since losing my faith, I had theological discussion with a few Catholics from my school. I was shocked to hear how many people actually think every sperm is sacred (and that condoms don't prevent HIV).

I'd like to think with AIDs and world overpopulation the pope would reverse his decision on the contraception thing. But this is the guy who only recently pardoned Gallileo. If people continue to listen to this kind of stuff, the earth is doomed. A belief isn't justified by virtue of being someone's belief. Superstitious, dogmatic crap like this is destructive. I'm done ranting.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 01:56 PM       

EVERY SPERM IS SACRED!

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 02:27 PM       
don't worry. God will provide money for all the children

+tom- is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:57 AM       
whats worse is that the catholic missionaries in africa (where 1 in every 4 people have hiv or aids) are teaching the africans that contraceptives are evil and they will go to hell for using them. nnow how can they do this with a clear conscious? they are literaly killing people.

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:59 AM       
whats worse is that the catholic missionaries in africa (where 1 in every 4 people have hiv or aids) are teaching the africans that contraceptives are evil and they will go to hell for using them. nnow how can they do this with a clear conscious? they are literaly killing people.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:40 AM       
But the people go to heaven when they die. They might live longer if they don't use condoms, but they'll be condemned to eternal torment afterward. It's just not worth it.

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 02:18 AM       
i seriosly hope your joking, or mabe your sarcasm is to subtle for me...
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM       
Condoms don't prevent HIV, you twit. They help, but they are not 100% proof.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:34 PM       
Well first of all this law has nothign to do with condoms. Its about birth control pills. But condoms aren't 100% and nothing is but its still better then going in raw and risking it openly. The church doesn't but should accept condoms since its more a matter of health then morality. And some married couples will use condoms if one of them for say had AIDS from birth so its not even his fault. So by the church condemning these people as sinners from trying to prevent a diesease is ridiculous. And trust me condoms won't save the Africans now. Its already way to out of control. I think the pratice of not fucking everyone they see like they have been doing for centuries might work alittle better.

Birth control pills is another story and I don't think a church should have to pay for their workers to buy them. Thats not a matter of health. BC pills dont prevent AIDS. It prevents women from getting pregnant. Why should the church have to pay for that or anyone for that matter if it violates their beliefs. Mormans don't have to go into the draft. I'm pretty sure I and every man has to pay for their own overpriced condoms. Why isn't that covered?

If you blame the church for the spread of AIDS(or for their deaths or whatever you said) why not culture that tells you its cool to bone everyone? You can't blame anyone for the disease. Bash the church if its called for don't throw out ignorant statements. America has intervened and told the Africans to indeed use condoms and gave them out to them. So unless Christian Africans are inferior to christians in America, they are getting both sides of the arguement as we are in America and we don't have an epidemic here(yet at least)
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:49 PM       
b/c a woman needs to stay on bc pills once she starts them. she can't just pop a pill on tuesday cuz she has a hot date on wednesday. it doesn't work like that.

there are even some women (mostly younger women, i think) on birth control pills who just use it for hormone regulation, who'd have a 3-week long period if it weren't for the pill. for these women, the pill is more like a prescription medicine.

effective birth control requires a couple forms of protection like using a condom AND the pill (neither one is foolproof, but the combination of the two is a LOT more reliable).
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM       
I knew the first part but didn't know some women use it for hormone regulation. Thanks informing me.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog

EVERY SPERM IS SACRED!
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:02 PM        Ugh
Quote:
there are even some women (mostly younger women, i think) on birth control pills who just use it for hormone regulation, who'd have a 3-week long period if it weren't for the pill. for these women, the pill is more like a prescription medicine.
Welcome to my world......

Went on it at the age of 10 for that exact reason.

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:25 PM       
they reduce the risk of /or can delay ovarian cancer
and they help with endometriosis

But anyway, this dark age bullshit about contraception pisses me off. There are few people around who could financially or mentally handle having a million children. Well, maybe no one can really mentally handle having a million children.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:35 PM       
Fuck your sex!
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:09 AM       
Yeah, that's what we do with 'em!
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:34 PM       
Lil' note: More people in Africa get AIDS from re-used and/or inproperly sterilized needles in medical clinics due to insufficient health funding than contract it from sexual intercourse.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:57 PM       
i think you'll find your wrong, most africans have no idea what contraception is and it is wa well known fact (over there) that toothpaste is a good form of contraception, and in a place where prostitution is the most common job for women, sexual intercoarse is definetly the most likely way aids is transmitted. so this bullshite about improperly sterilized needles is just that. yes the aids epidemic is out of control, and just condoms aren't going to save them, but proper education about contraception will (after many many generations), and the catholics definetly arent helping.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:04 PM       
Vibe is a woman?

Whoa... I didn't know that.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 03:56 PM       
The jury's still out on you.

Wherever you go, there you are.