Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM        Federal Marriage Amendment: The C-List Speaks Out
From Wonkette:

The Senate Republican Conference is tired of the Hollywood liberal elite using its awesome star power to, ahem, push the gay agenda down America's throat. Take "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," Madonna and Britney, "Will and Grace," Kerry and Edwards. . . They're fighting fire with fire. Today at 3PM, former Washington Redskin Darrell Green, actor Dean Jones, and Pat fucking Boone will speak out in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment.

So it's really more like fighting fire with a stick that's been sitting under a lamp for awhile.

Also: Rick Santorum will be rutting with a dog himself if these are the best celebrity spokespeople for heterosexuality they can find. Dean Jones? Famous for (or, as the press release more accurately puts it, "known chiefly as") his role in "Herbie the Love Bug." Everyone knows that Herbie took it up the tailpipe. And Darrell Green? Really, nothing screams traditional values more than a guy who spends a lot of time around other sweaty, naked men. As for Pat Boone: Are we trying to say that straight people are pussies? And that pussies are boring?

Classic mixed message.

Press release in its sort of pitiful entirety after the jump.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
July 13, 2004

Entertainers Weigh in on Marriage Vote
Say Hollywood Voice Muffled by Intolerance

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Washington Redskin Darrell Green, Actor Dean Jones, and performers Marvin Winans and Pat Boone will publicly express support for the protection of traditional marriage at a press conference today in the U.S. Capitol. Some will make the case that pro-family sentiment is muffled in Hollywood by intolerance. In contrast to last week 's star-studded New York fundraiser for Kerry/Edwards (who are also against same-sex marriage), where celebrities called President Bush vulgar names and slurred hateful comments; today 's event will highlight a pro-family voice coming from the entertainment industry.

This group of entertainers is part of a parade of groups rallying in Washington, D.C. this week around the Wednesday vote. African-American groups, Civil Rights Leaders, Religious Leaders and others are calling on the Senate to define marriage in America as the union of one man and one woman.

WHO:
• Senator Rick Santorum
• Darrell Green (Green played for the Washington Redskins for twenty years, earning seven trips to the Pro-• Bowl. Once the fastest man in the NFL, he retired as the oldest defensive back ever in the NFL)
• Dean Jones (Jones was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in 1971, and is known chiefly as one of Disney ' s top stars in the 1960s and 1970s. He is also known for his leading role in " Herbie the Love Bug. ")
• Marvin Winans (Marvin is a member of the gospel group The Winans, who are Grammy, Dove and Stellar award-winners. He is also pastor of a church in Detroit, Michigan.)
• Pat Boone (Boone was the second most-popular singer in the United States in the 1950s - second only to Elvis Presley. He's recognized by Billboard Magazine as the #10 rock recording artist in history.)

WHAT: Press Conference Calling for Passage of the Marriage Amendment

WHEN: 3:00PM Tuesday, July 13, 2004

WHERE:
Mansfield Room (S-207)
U.S. Capitol

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:43 PM       
Quote:
Some will make the case that pro-family sentiment is muffled in Hollywood by intolerance.
I'm confused. Being opposed to a Constitutional Amendment that could be seen as infringing on the civil rights of homosexuals, is "intolerance"? When did we turn into Bizarro world? Was it when a lousy governor who lost the election became President?

Quote:
Marvin Winans (Marvin is a member of the gospel group The Winans, who are Grammy, Dove and Stellar award-winners. He is also pastor of a church in Detroit, Michigan.)
Shit. For a second there I thought that said Marlon Waynes and I was about to go throw a brick through some faggots window but Marvin Winans...he's a nobody, so fuck it.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM       
How is hollywood intolerant of heterosexuality or families? I think there still are some shows that feature heterosexual marriages and families and so on. And why should there be tv shows about boring ass nuclear families anyway? Hollywood makes shows with unusual characters in unusual situations because its more interesting to watch.
And I've had enough of this 'gays being forced down our throats' bullshit. Once you have a man force you to suck his cock, then I'll concede that gayness has been forced down your throat.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:57 AM       
Wonkette is great.