Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Human Spider
rocketsauce is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM        Rob Zombie's Halloween
Halloween

Caught the teaser before Grindhouse. Looks like Rob Zombie stays close to the original, but who knows.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM       
Could be really good, but I really don't see the point. Why remake classics? It's pretty dumb how having the kind of status that Rob Zombie has allows you to just select such an iconic movie and do with it what ya want.

That was very funny. Well done.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM       
Aside from the fact that Halloween is one of those movies that does NOT need to be remade because it was perfect just the way it was, I really don't like this new trailer. One of the worst things you can do to Michael Myers, in my opinion, is to make his eyes visible during the movie. One of the best things about the old Myers was that you couldn't see his eyes... just black holes void of any emotion whatsoever. On top of that, he doesn't need a fucking backstory about his childhood.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM       
didn't he ALWAYS have a backstory about his childhood?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM       
yea didn't his parents hate him and give him cheap candy
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob3 View Post
didn't he ALWAYS have a backstory about his childhood?
Not really. In the first one, all that happened was he killed his sister and Dr. Loomis just made him sound really, really evil. They don't really even try to make up much of a back story until the curse of micheal myers, which was bad anyway.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:36 AM       
I actually like rob zombie's stuff
i think i actually liked the second movie devils rejects more which most people didn't seem to like...
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM       
I liked how Dr. Loomis suddenly turned absolutely batshit retarded in the sequel.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM       
This is going to blow. I like most of Rob's stuff - but why is he making thiss? Why not do his own slasher film 'in the spirit of' Halloween and Friday the 13th.

I really hate this new trend of explaining the motivations of these fictional killers. In my opinion the legacy of both Leatherface and Hannibal were recently ruined in their respective prequels.

The fact that you don't know what fuels these horror icons is far more frightening than anything passed off as a cause. Not to mention that, just like in real life, the motivations of truly deranged mass murderers and serial killers are generally beyond reason and are purely speculative.

Therin lies the horror.
No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM       
Very astute point.

Same with Star Wars. If Vader hadn't been the baddest mother fucker this side of the galaxy, the prequels would have ruined the character. He was a ruthless killer (with a heart!), not some whiny cad with a rat-tail.

I don't want to know about their bad childhoods or failed relationships. Completely spoils their image.

If a murderer broke into your house, it'd be infinitely more frightening if you didn't know their motives, rather then if they sat you down and said "My mother never loved me. That's why I have to kill you."

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
Ringmonster
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM       
I have to add, that I always thought both Jason and Myers were far more scary as very human psychopaths. I believe the early Friday the 13th films struck such a cord upon their release because people could relate to what was going on. People are murdered camping - The Yellowstone Murderer, comes to mind - on a fairly regular basis.

Look at the rape scene from Deliverance - that's a really intense scene because it can happen. It resonates.

I have hope that Rob Zombie will at the very least drop the supernatural aspects of Myers and portray him as a character in the real world. ROG is dead on about the mask. Dead-eyed and white-faced Captain Kirk is way creepy and really makes the man into a monster.
The Wolf
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM       
Agree completely with the last few comments. What I don't understand is when people seem to be surprised when they announce a remake of a classic horror movie. There has been a fucking slew of horrible remakes and sequels in the past 10 years or so.

Wicker man
13 ghosts
haunting
house on haunted hill
black christmas
the hitcher
hills have eyes and the sequel

Those are just a few off the top of my head, but there's plenty more and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:42 AM       
Don't forget the celluloid abortion that was the Omen remake.

I have hope for this movie. I really do. If anyone can do it justice, it's Rob Zombie, and I think he can pull it off. That being said, from what I saw in the trailer, it doesn't do much to explain WHY he did what he did as a child, just more detail about WHAT he did as a child. It still looked, to me at least, like it was portraying a soulless, emotionless child who killed for no reason.

Here's hoping I'm right.
Get Your Own Title >:(
arg_zombies is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
he doesn't need a fucking backstory about his childhood.
Everyone heard of Hannibal rising?
They gave him a 'story'. I just really don't see how you can give a psycopath who eats people a sad side to why he does it, that'd just make him seem softer- that he actualyl ahs a reason for it
Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
There has been a fucking slew of horrible remakes and sequels in the past 10 years or so.

black christmas
Did you actually see that remake? I thought it was extremely entertaining and they went way more over the top with it (in true 80's slasher style) than I was expecting. I own that one on DVD.
The Wolf
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM       
Watched it yesterday. Fucking awful. Little surprised that you'd like it so much when you just said that the halloween remake looks like it'll have too much backstory. That was one of the problems with this one.

Over the top is sometimes good, but this one reeeeally pushed it too far. It's a remake of a movie that is extremely plausible and they just really overdid it on the cheese. If you're gonna remake a movie, try to stay at least somewhat faithful to the original.

Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM       
I meantioned it a while ago in the blog, and while I hadn't seen the original, I really enjoyed this new version compared to most modern horror comedies.
The Wolf
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM       
Do yourself a major favor and watch the original, man. It is a serious horror movie that conveys a really genuine sense of dread. This remake had plenty of gore, but it's like they didn't know which direction they wanted to take it in. If it were actually an original horror comedy, fine, but it was a remake that had all the same shitty elements as every other recent horror remake except for dawn of the dead.

Most of these remakes have plenty of gore. That's not the issue here. It's just cashing in on established titles and loading em up with shitty gore and dumbed down storylines. Fucking sickening.

Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM       
Believe me, I'm going to watch the original. I've heard it's very different. This newer one seems to just use the same title, but it's not like it was a famous movie by horror standards. I don't think there was much to "cash in" on as you say since most people hadn't even seen Black Christmas. The most famous xmas horror flick from that time period was undoubtedly Silent Night Deadly Night.

Anyway, my point was that this new movie was still plenty entertaining, whether or not it stayed true to the original or went off on its own far more comedic tangent. I just had a really fun time with it when I saw it in the theater. Granted, it's no JACK FROST, but nothing ever will be as far as I'm concerned.
The Wolf
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM       
Yeah, but conceptually it's the same thing and the original is certainly a cult classic so even if it's not as popular as other originals, it's still bringing in at least some name recognition. I haven't seen silent night, deadly night (not sure why), but they're remaking that one in 2008 . It just sucks because the majority of these remakes are so fucking bad and unfaithful to the original. I watched the hitcher remake yesterday too and that was almost as bad.

Anyway, to get back on topic here - I like Rob Zombie and he seems to have a genuine affection for classic horror, but this is going to really suck if it has his style injected into it. It's just not a good mix.

Pickled Patriarch
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM       
Well, you can't top the original Hitcher movie. Rutger Hauer was a crazy badass in it, and even though I like Sean Bean, I see no reason why that movie needed to be remade.

That's really surprising about the Silent Night Deadly Night remake, never thought they'd remake that one. Next thing you'll tell me is that they're gonna do a remake of I Spit On Your Grave. o.O
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM       
i would like to vouch for this movie as I watched the Halloween movie really young and my mom has insane stories about hwne she saw halloween in theatres.. So I am partial to the movie, and I don't mind remakes ;o Texas Chainsaw/Dawn of the Dead remakes wern't so bad! But I don't like the only zombie movie i've seen, house of a 1000 corpses. nro do i like rob zombie! but i liked his werewolf women of the SS trailer

so maybe this will be ok 8)
Ringmonster
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Well, you can't top the original Hitcher movie. Rutger Hauer was a crazy badass in it.

Rutger Hauer is pretty much badass in anything he is in. It is a great travesty that he never really got the mainstream recognition he deserved.

Also, I know for a fact that the idea of a I Spit on Your Grave remake was being kicked around a year or so ago.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM       
Wait this is a remake? I thought it was like... this kid kind of takes on the roll or something. What a sham.
wislingsailsmen is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM       
yeah if anyone could do this movie it would be rob zombie but theirs so fatale mistakes hes made like the eyes its suppost to be a william shatner blank white mask whith no facial expreshion on his face thats whats scary,but besides that it looks ok i mean the last on shouldent have been made i mean come on a reality show how lame