Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:55 PM        Postcards from Buster - Sugartime episode and its censorship
January 27, 2005

Culture Wars Pull Buster Into the Fray

By JULIE SALAMON

Wayne Godwin, chief operating officer of PBS, got a bit tangled as he tried to explain the PBS stance on gay characters appearing on children's television shows.

"In fairness I would have to say a gay character is not one we would not include," he said, and then clarified. "The fact that a character may or may not be gay is not a reason why they should or should not be part of this series."

Yet on Tuesday PBS decided not to distribute to its roughly 350 PBS stations an episode of "Postcards From Buster," which was scheduled for Feb. 2 and included lesbian mothers, even though a few days earlier PBS officials, among them PBS's president, Pat Mitchell, viewed the episode and called it appropriate. That was before Education Secretary Margaret Spellings denounced the program, starring Buster Baxter, a cute animated rabbit who until now has been known primarily as a close friend of Arthur, the world's most famous aardvark. Ms. Spellings said many parents would not want children exposed to a lesbian life style.

Buster joined another cartoon character, SpongeBob SquarePants, as a focus of the nation's culture wars. SpongeBob was recently attacked by Christian groups for being pro-homosexual, though SpongeBob's creator said it was all a misinterpretation. Buster's offense was appearing in "Sugartime!," the undistributed "Postcards From Buster" show, in which he visits children living in Vermont whose parents are a lesbian couple. Civil unions are allowed in Vermont.

"Postcards From Buster" is a spinoff of "Arthur" that combines live action and animation and went on the air a year ago. In the series, aimed at young elementary schoolchildren, Buster travels to 24 different states with his father and sends video postcards home.

Buster appears briefly onscreen, but mainly narrates these live-action segments, which show real children and how they live. One episode featured a family with five children, living in a trailer in Virginia, all sharing one room. In another, Buster visits a Mormon family in Utah. He has dropped in on fundamentalist Christians and Muslims as well as American Indians and Hmong. He has shown the lives of children who have only one parent, and those who live with grandparents.

Marc Brown, creator of "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster," said in a statement: "I am disappointed by PBS's decision not to distribute the 'Postcards From Buster' 'Sugartime!' episode to public television stations. What we are trying to do in the series is connect kids with other kids by reflecting their lives. In some episodes, as in the Vermont one, we are validating children who are seldom validated. We believe that 'Postcards From Buster' does this in a very natural way - and, as always, from the point of view of children."

Jeanne Hopkins, a spokeswoman for the show's producer, WGBH-TV of Boston, added, "We feel it's important that we not exclude kids because of what their family structure looks like." WGBH plans to broadcast the episode in March and offer it to other PBS stations.

Like the grown-ups in most of the episodes, the lesbian mothers in the "Sugartime!" segment are mainly background. "The concern really was that there's a point where background becomes foreground," Mr. Godwin said. "No matter if the parents were intended to be background, with this specific item in this particular program they might simply be foreground because of press attention to it and parental attention to it."

The question is, does the episode violate the grant under which WGBH received federal funds? Mr. Godwin said, "The presence of a couple headed by two mothers would not be appropriate curricular purpose that PBS should provide."

The grant specifies the programs "should be designed to appeal to all of America's children by providing them with content and characters with which they can identify." In addition, the grant says, "Diversity will be incorporated into the fabric of the series to help children understand and respect differences and learn to live in a multicultural society."

Brigid Sullivan, vice president for children's programming at WGBH, has been producing children's shows for 20 years, including "Arthur," for many years the top-rated children's show. "This asked for a project on diversity to all of America's children," she said. "We took it seriously and thought that with 'Arthur,' the No. 1 show on television for kids for years, we had something to draw kids in. Buster is Arthur's best friend, the child of divorce, he has asthma. Children sympathize with him. We had a breakthrough format, this animated bunny with his camera getting live-action sequence. Not to present a make-believe world of diversity but a real world."

Explaining the goal of the show, Ms. Sullivan said: "We want to reflect all of America's children."

"This is not about their parents," she said.

Dear Friends, Family, Colleagues:

This is my urgent personal appeal for your support regarding a show I directed for WGBH's new children's series"Postcards From Buster," a spin-off of the popular children's show "Arthur." Below you will see the actions you can take, but first I would like you to read.

Right at this moment, PBS stations around the country are deciding whether or not to air an episode filmed in Vermont called "Sugartime!" The controversy, which has made local and national news (articles from the Boston Globe and NY Times are pasted at the end of this email), has been pinned on the fact that two children featured have lesbian parents who appear in the background of the show.

Last night PBS decided to pull the national satellite feed after negative pressure from the new Secretary of Education. This is the first time in the history of WGBH, Boston's public television station and one of the largest producer of PBS programming (including Frontline, Nova, and American Experience), that a show has ever been rejected by PBS for distribution.

Calling your local PBS station and asking them to air it will help them make their decision. There are over 300 stations in the PBS system and all of them decide individually.

I realize this may not be a comfortable issue for some of you, but consider my point of view. A quick primer on the series: The premise of the show is that Buster Baxter (who is an 8-year old bunny) is flying around the United States (and a few locations abroad, including Mexico and Canada) with his dad Bo, a pilot, who is taking around the Latin rock band Los Viajeros (translated as "The Travelers" from Spanish) on their 40-city tour. Buster films his adventures with his video camera and sends back "video postcards" to his friends in Elwood City.

These "postcards" are documentary scenes of real kids in the context of their everyday lives, be it showing a pig at a local county fair in Indiana, doing Tai Chi in Seattle, or clogging in Kentucky. The 40 shows cover a plethora of ethnic backgrounds, religious traditions and a range of urban, suburban, rural neighborhoods as well as kids in different kinds of families: large extended families under one roof, single parents, tribal families.... and in my episode lesbian families

The kids in this episode are great. The two families are great. Like all of the shows in the series, the children guiding Buster around are children who are not often seen on television (and if they have been it's usually in the context of poverty, stereotypes or controversy.) Educators and reviewer of this particular episode who have seen "Sugartime" think it's a great show.

As a producer interested in stories of diversity, as a mom raising children in a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual family, this series has been a gift. The rare opportunity to present diverse cultures and experiences in a non-threatening, non-didactic manner. If WGBH and the producers of "Postcards of Buster" had said they could film all kinds of children in North America except 'those' kinds of children, then the purpose of the series would be lost.

I am very proud of WGBH, the series, and the team of producers. I am especially proud of this show. It represents the best use of my skills as a filmmaker

The good news is that WGBH is airing the episode as planned on March 23. They are making it available for other PBS affiliate stations to broadcast the show as well, and as of today stations are getting on board. Since local public television stations answer to YOU the VIEWER (and taxpayer), your contacting them will help them make their decision.

Just in the way that the kids and families who participate in our show put themselves out there, I think it's important for voices supporting this, be it through the angle of non-censorship, non-discrimination, or simply that you love the show to be heard as well. Even though it's easy to say that this is "just" a children's show, it really does represent something greater.

Here are immediate actions you can take to help:

1. Call your local PBS station and ask them to air the program, or give them a thumbs for deciding to do it already. (You can look up your local PBS station at http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html)

2. E-mail or call PBS and voice your dissent for their self-censorship. Go right to the top and email Pat Mitchell at pmitchell@pbs.org. And email the general PBS email at http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/aboutsite_emailform.html.

3. Vote on an online poll at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6869976/.

4. Contact Margaret Spellings, the Secretary of Education. Call 1-800-872-5327, and press 5 for an operator to make a general comment.

5. Call or e-mail your Congressperson.

6. E-mail other people and ask them to voice their opinion!

7. Read more about "Postcards From Buster" at http://pbskids.org/buster.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM       
Hey Doops;

I for one think it's great that the state of education in America is so solid that the incoming secretary of Educations very first action is to leap into action against Buster Bunny.

I can only imagine she'd feel free to attack this problem before anything else if problems of poverty, inequality, lack of access to extracarricular activities, and infrastructure had all been wiped out.

I think we should all write the secretary congratulating her on her amazing sucsess in making childrens education in America almost fault free. Unless it isn't, in which case we should write her and let her know her priorities are really, really, really fucked up and that in her first day on the job she proved herself utterly unfit to be secretary at a discount Quicky Lube, let alone secretary of education.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:06 PM       
How are the kids going to know they are lesbians? Do they say it on the show? Do they go down on each other during the episode?

Isn't education a state issue?

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:03 PM       
Here is the response I got from our local PBS station:

Dear Ms. Barr:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about the "Sugartime" episode of POSTCARDS FROM BUSTER. As you probably know, PBS has decided not to offer this episode in the PBS Kids schedule, so we will not be airing it. We agree with PBS' reasoning that a topic that remains as controversial as gay unions is one which each family should be able to discuss in its own time and in its own way. The concern was that sharing the video of this family on program viewed by young children forces some parents to discuss the issue before they are prepared to do so. Also, some children watch our programs without an adult present, and seeing this segment could leave some of those children with questions. The decision not to air the episode is not a commentary on the gay unions per se; rather it is an acknowledgement that many children in this country have not been introduced to the concept of a two-mother or two-father family, and that such introduction coming from a PBS Kids program would be inappropriate and even unhelpful.

Thank you again for taking the time to express your concerns. Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:50 PM       
Fuck PBS. Seriously. Who watches that shit, anyways?

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopa
Also, some children watch our programs without an adult present, and seeing this segment could leave some of those children with questions.
"Hey, mom just left."

"Awesome! Let's watch PBS!!!"

"Killer!"
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM       
"known primarily as a close friend of Arthur, the world's most famous aardvark"

arthur's an aardvark? i thought he was supposed to be a bear or a weasel or something.

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM       
I remember when I was younger and visiting my gramma the only thing we could get in the room we stayed in was PBS. I imagine a lot of kids without cable watch PBS, and Arthur is pretty popular.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM       
"We agree with PBS' reasoning that a topic that remains as controversial as gay unions is one which each family should be able to discuss in its own time and in its own way."

Buster visited a fundamentalist Christina home in one episode. That's some scary ass shit I think I should be able to discuss in it's own time in it's own way.

That is a chickenshit response. I think I'm going to call my local PBS and remind them to have a damn spine.

And Arthur is an awesome show. And when Marc brown first started drawing him, he was much more obviously an aardvark. I guess it was evetually decided that having a wicked long npose was something each family should be able to discuss in its own time and in its own way

THANK GOD THIS IS THE IMPORTANT SHIT OUR NEW EDUCATION SECRETARY WILL MAKE A TOP PRIORITY! MY CHILD CAN NOW CONTINUE TO GO TO AN UNDERFUNDED BUT IMPRESSIVELY LESBIAN FREE SCHOOL.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM       
Of course this will take precendence over the actual quality of education. They don't want children to be well educated, because if they are well educated they will grow up with the capability to understand all the bullshit going on around them and might actually try to do something about it, and we can't have that now can we.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM       
You know, I have some Vermont maple Syrup in my fridge. How cn I know whether this is Lesbian produced Maple Syrup?
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM       
Spill it out and see how well it sticks to the carpet.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM       
I DO NOT WANT ANY LESBO SAUCE ON MY CHIRENS PANCAKES!