Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

drunkbrigade is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:33 PM        Resident Evil or Silent Hill
If you had to make a decision on buying the latest RE or Silent hill game, what would it be. I personaly think that RE has lost its luster for bieng a Horror game. I mean honestly how many times can u take Zombies popin outta a closet/fridge before it becomes predictable? Silent hills psychotic atmospheres and story has basicaly wiped the floor with RE (in the survival horror genre) in my book.
I think capcom and Konami need to get together and produce a horror title together. being as they've both had their ups and downs in terms of scare factor for both companies, it would only seem like the next logical step.

Marilyn777 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM       
Video games cause sloth. Repent!

Nerd is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
This is very ironic because I have just started playing Silent Hill.

I have only played Silent Hill 1, and that game is solid, except for the School. The Demon Baby's will catch you from across the hallway, and after two hits you have to use an energy drink. That gets old fast. And the boss? It took me 20 retry's to beat him, and I finally beat him they way I'm not supposed to. Other than that, the game is good I guess.

I'd also like to say that when I'm playing through any RE for the first time, I am scared shitless. After I beat it for the first time, it does become predictable. But in SH1, I wasn't scared...ever. At all. The enemy's and environments were creepy, but I have seen worse things in Castlevania.

So overall, I appreciate SH for it's complicated and immersive storyline, but it fails when it comes to scaryness and game play. Resident Evil has terrific game play and it's always scary the first time around, making it the better game.
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:51 PM       
What do you mean the way you weren't supposed to? Do you use a guide or something?

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM       
What you are supposed to do is shoot it with your handgun until it opens it's mouth at you, right? Then shoot it with the Shotgun in the mouth two times? What I had to do was walk backwords right before it opend it's mouth, and shoot it twice. It didn't die, So I had to shoot it in the mouth six times. Acording to walkthroughs and my brother, it should only take 1-2 shots. God that boss sucked.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:16 PM       
Ive gotta give RE 1-3 kudos, because the first time I played those games I jumped quite a few times, After the series went to Dreamcast & Gamecube I kinda lost interest in them. They just seemed to had lost their scary tones in terms of atmosphere.
Most of the time its the deep dark music that sets the mood. But after RE: Code Veronica and after, it seemed to be more battle glorious. I mean hell, in Code Veronica you couldnt even blow the zombies heads off. They would just fall back and that was it.

In silent hill, there is hardly any really gory action except for twisted looking nurse demons and the pyramid head (equivalent to RE's Tyrant) but most of the background music and constant clangling sounds of metal poles and so fourth kept me on the edge of my seat.

And the some of the spooky puzzles actually make you think, instead of the constant pushing of crates or put the two obvious items together to create a key in RE. I still havent played Sillent Hill 3 but im sure it will be just as dark and moody and the first two. So its a Horror title to look foward to.

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:19 PM       
Dude, you NEED to play Rebirth, the Gamecube Resident Evil. Scariest game I have ever played.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:23 PM       
I loved RE2 and I liked Code Veronica, but Silent Hill 2 has to be one of the best games I've ever played. It's got such a creepy atmosphere and I was actually creeped out while playing it. Silent Hill 3 wasn't as good, in my opinion, but it was still really good. I don't really like either series any more than the other one though.

That was very funny. Well done.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:29 PM       
I have actually Beatin The RE remake on the gamecube and to that one I say they gave it a great face lift, the graphics were beautiful and the dialog was greatly improved. But after playing through the orignal on the playstation so many times it was sorta ruined because I knew what to expect. Im sure the ones who were new to the series had a great time pissing their pants haha. Right now im playing RE 0 I dont like the character switching on fly all that great. it woulda been awesome if they had made it into a 2 player co-operative game though.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 11:01 PM       
Resident Evil by far.

And stop posting in blue, it looks horrible and unreadable.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 11:09 PM       
thesearethecolorsoftherainbow

[center:addfccf88a][/center:addfccf88a]

Those little monkeys in RE 0 piss me off.
Location: In that place where i didnt know where we were before
Comrade Rocket is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM       
You know what game scared the shit outta me? Megaman Legends. You know when you get into the Sub Gates, and it plays that scary music, and the next thing you know, A REVERBOT JUMP OUT FROM AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!!!

scary shit man.
LOL INTERNETS
Command Prompt is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:35 AM       
Quote:
Resident Evil by far.
JUST this once, I will agree with you. But which one?

Resident Evil 2. Best. Game. EVER.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:34 AM       
I love resident evil titles because I'm a devoted fan of zombie flicks/games, but I have to put my vote to Silent Hill.

If you actually suspend your disbelief and get into Silent Hill, it gets fucking CREEPY. And in my opinion, for a horror game, that's GOLD.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:53 AM       
Silent Hill.

It's not as tedious as RE, and I've never been more scared than when I had to go into the bedroom in SH3. The lighting was just...awesome. It made you feel like something was going to jump out, but nothing did, and the game is laughing at you for being so stupid.

And the Haunted Manor part in SH3 was brilliant.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM       
eternal darkness. the body in the bath freaked me out

but between re and silent hill....

resident evil, especialy 3.

i havent played much of silent hill

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:10 PM       
I hate Resident Evil. It's not scary in the slightest and the plot is shit. The controls aren't anything to write home about either.

Silent hill 1up's RE in every way possible

Snatchtastic is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:22 PM        .
One of the best features in the Remake of Resident Evil are the zombies that get up and run after you. Along with the re-made outskirts of the mansion and the abandoned house with the CrAzY lady in chains wandering around was a sweet addition to the story.

Resident Evil Nemesis was pretty sweet cause you didn't know when that huge bastard was going to pop out of the woodwork and chase after your ass.

Silent Hill is straight fucked up, I should purchase a catheder and just intibate my cock so I wont piss my pants anymore. They use the same psychological background noise to fuck with your head just like some of the best horror movies i.e The Shining and The Exorcist.

Too hard to say. Both games Rule for Different reasons.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:05 PM       
The shining and the exorcist? Fuck that. Jacob's ladder is what inspires it the most, from what I've seen.

Once again, Silent Hill kicks ass. It's got the creepier atmosphere by far and I love how I can run around the town fighting "monsters" (that's another thing, they might not even be monsters, or there at all...) and picking up ammo, reading shit on walls, etc. It's a lot less linear than RE and even the puzzles can be creepy. There's no "combine this with this" type shit.

Eh...I'm gonna go against what I said earlier and say that I prefer SH now that I've thought about it more.

That was very funny. Well done.

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:38 PM       
http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.asp?poll=1424

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schimid
It's not as tedious as RE,
...Are you kidding?

It might just be me, but I think walking around in a hospital with three floors with half of the doors "jammed" sounds tedious as hell. And looking at the map every 5 seconds to make sure you don't get lost. And if you don't have the map, then you have to struggle to memorize the rooms that look exactly alike. Walking around in Silent Hill isn't very exciting, either.

Plus, there are little things in RE that make all the difference. Like the herbs. In SH you just get health drinks 'n such, but in RE you can mix herbs, which is kinda cool. Like if you forget to pick up that Red Herb to mix with the green, then the next boss fight will be as hard as hell. Ink Ribbons also add to the gameplay. You have to decide weather to risk fighting the next boss and getting the best ending, or saving to make sure you don't lose so much progress. In SH you get retry's. I can go into any boss battle with the fearless knowlege that I can just retry. I know those were in CV and they don't belong there.

One last thing about SH that erks me is the 10 minuet long cut-scenes. Those take forever and I lose interest half way through.

RE started the trend and everyone else followed. RE all the way.