Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:59 AM        FAHRENHEIT 9/11
Well, I just got back from a midnight showing, and the place was absolutely packed. There were some pretty big reactions from the audience -- 99% of whom I can only assume were anti-Bush to begin with (I think the 3 Republicans in attendance got up and left).

My own opinion? It's tremendously entertaining, engrossing, thought-provoking, and downright hilarious in spots. I think everyone should see it, if for nothing else than to be challenged and presented with some crucial information that is frequently overlooked in the mainstream press. (People who actually follow politics closely probably won't find out anything new, though. BUSH AND THE SAUDIS ARE TIGHT? YA DON'T SAY!)

However, I recognize the movie for what it is: propaganda. It's not an intelligent, open-minded look at our current state of government and foreign relations -- it's an angry polemic. Its central thesis (which I agree with) is that George W. Bush and his administration are very, very dangerous and incompetent and should be removed from power immediately. Moore goes to every length to prove it.

The problem is that the film gets away from itself until it reaches a point where Bush-hatred seems to be the only solid principle. It seems that Moore will take any position so long as it puts him on the opposite side of Bush. He bemoans the small number of troops in Afghanistan at one moment, then calls the whole war an unneccesary fraud the next. I left the theater feeling like I defintely got my money's worth, charged up to vote for Kerry come November, but a little confused. The movie definitely did a good job with its critique, but I had no sense of where its moral center was -- on what it based its critique.

Yeah, it's sloppy. Yeah, it's one-sided. See it anyway. Even if you hate Moore, you're going to be entertained. Bush and company as the Bonanza cast is just too funny to miss.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM       
I will see it for sure, I'm not bothered that it's polemical and a propoganda piece (the word has acquired negative conotation that it doesn't necessarily deserve) since Moore makes no claims it isn't. hating it for being polemic is like hating a western becuase it isn't science fiction.

It's already provided the world with the footage of W telling the press about the dangers of terrorism and following up by saying "Now watch this drive" and hitting a golf ball. No one who wasn't totally out of touch with reality could engage in such cognative dissonance.

Along similar lines, does anyone know if there;s footage of Chenney saying 'fuck' to Patrick Leahy?
The Center Square
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:21 PM       
Quote:
I will see it for sure, I'm not bothered that it's polemical and a propoganda piece (the word has acquired negative conotation that it doesn't necessarily deserve) since Moore makes no claims it isn't. hating it for being polemic is like hating a western becuase it isn't science fiction.
I probably wouldn't resent it for being a polemic so much if it was arguing against Bush from a more defined moral center. Instead, you get the idea that Moore is just ripping Bush for any old reason -- even if the reason comes from a POV that Moore would normally resent. Sometimes the objections he raises in the movie even contradict themselves, such as in dealing with the troop number issue in the Afghanistan war.

Moore just gets too carried away to be truly taken seriously, which is a problem Bowling for Columbine suffered in its closing moments. For example, he, at one point, introduces us to the "sovereign nation of Iraq" in his faux-naive narrator voice. To illustrate Saddam's Iraq, he shows a wedding, children in a playground, and people just hangin' out and shootin' the breeze.

Never mind that this sovereign nation had a shitload of U.N. sanctions placed on it. Never mind that Saddam had a.. well, less than admirable human rights record. It's like he's so determined to portray the Bushies as black-hearted scoundrels in every single way that he was willing to portray Iraq under Saddam as a benign, innocent victim. Even your average shmuck knows that isn't true. There's a way of criticizing the war that doesn't make Hussein into a martyr.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM       
Moore is a master of satire. He knows that Saddam wasn't one of the good guys, but the point that he's trying to get across is that there was no need to invade Iraq.

Your average schmuck doesn't have the intelligence to read between the lines, or only sees things in black and white (like our good buddies Vinth and Ronnie).
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM       
Although I know that he has good intentions, I have a hard time taking Moore seriolusly anymore and, really, I'm getting tired of his glib, smug, "holier than thou" attitude. I appreciate a balanced account of things and it's hard to respect his films when even he does not claim that this is a documentary so much as an op/ed piece. How relevant can it really be?

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Center Square
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:58 PM       
Quote:
Moore is a master of satire. He knows that Saddam wasn't one of the good guys, but the point that he's trying to get across is that there was no need to invade Iraq.
Oh, he definitely makes the point that we shouldn't have invaded Iraq, but if you're looking for an admission -- bluntly stated or in subtext -- that Saddam Hussein was anything other than an innocent, benign victim, you're not going to find it in this movie. I'm really not lying or overreacting; it's truly that extreme. Moore says, point blank: "Iraq had never threatened us."

Quote:
I will see it for sure, I'm not bothered that it's polemical and a propoganda piece
As I already said, I'm not bothered by polemics, provided they're done tastefully, but propaganda does bother me. Propaganda is never respectable -- even when it is for your side. And, now that I think about it, this movie definitely veers a little closer to propaganda than it does to polemic.

Quote:
It's already provided the world with the footage of W telling the press about the dangers of terrorism and following up by saying "Now watch this drive" and hitting a golf ball. No one who wasn't totally out of touch with reality could engage in such cognative dissonance.
See, of all the things you could hang Bush with (and this movie has quite a few good ones), that one seems the most stupid. I mean, if you interview a president on a golf course, he's going to be (duh) playing golf. If Clinton did it, people would be cooing over his charm. I don't really see that part as "proof" that Bush doesn't give a fuck about the threat of terrorism.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:42 PM       
Quote:
See, of all the things you could hang Bush with (and this movie has quite a few good ones), that one seems the most stupid. I mean, if you interview a president on a golf course, he's going to be (duh) playing golf. If Clinton did it, people would be cooing over his charm. I don't really see that part as "proof" that Bush doesn't give a fuck about the threat of terrorism
Yeah that's one of the things that kinda annoyed me and people obviously think it's the funniest. I mean he's outside playing golf and being haggled by reporters. What is he suppose to do after someone asks him that sit there for hours and plan a defense measure against terrorism, on the golf course?

I do agree Bush has done some bad things, but that does not make him a bad human being. I was totally convinced when I heard of this movie that he's going to try to make Bush look like the Anti-Christ.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM       
I haven't seen the movie but i'm prepared to be disappointed.
I'm guessing that moore doesn't talk much about the complicity of this administration in 9/11 which is a huge subject and could expose a tremendous number of scoundrels.

the other thing i'm ready to be pissed about the movie is the idea that the bush administration is incompetent. It's a lie that will take a long time to die. I'm of the camp that believes that most of the problems they have created were not mistakes but on purpose.. escallation of hatreds, quagmire in iraq, increase in al-qaeda recruitments, this was all predicted and i'm betting that they banked on these for most of these problems actually MAKE MORE MONEY for the Military Industrial Complex. the administration doesnt really care if 'democracy' takes root in the middle east, the financial paybacks to bush supporters have already happened.. it could all fall apart and the folks that were in the know already ran out the back door with thier piles of money.
and we're left with instabilities that seem to require more investment in military.. perfect for those fascists that reap the profits of conflict. bush could be hung out to dry and still make money via the trifecta ties. fuck.. moore didn't seem to address any of this in the reviews i've read.. i'll see the movie and do what i can with its exposure of complicity but i'm still disappointed already :/
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 01:26 PM       
You're an idiot.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
The Retro Kat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:32 PM       
Scru and I just saw this movie. I generally didn't like it. It took really stupid points and blew them out of proportion. For some reason Moore made a big deal about Bush sticking around in that classroom for 7 WHOLE MINUTES. Oh shit son. I would have done the same fucking thing. Then Moore was trying to read his mind and be funny about it, but he was just a cunt. He said Bush stuck around for all the pictures, he wasnt even fucking smiling. He looked pissed and was contemplating what to do, same thing anyone of us would do. And Moore was sloppy and all over the place. Im a democrat, and I don't really care for the republicans in office, but Moore is just a downright, bitchy tool.
Gas and masturbation are highly unlikely to be connected with each other. Have you tried to stop masturbating? Has the gas subsided as a result? Perhaps you could try the same experiment by increasing the times you masturbate daily. Do you notice that the gas is increasing?
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM       
The liberals in this city (read: everyone in this city) are absolutely fucking rabid about this movie. Last night, it was impossible to see *any* movie at a theater that was showing Fahrenheit 9/11 because the lines were so long. Everyone around here thinks Michael Moore is the most profound, heroic, champion of justice and righteousness in America. My neighbors freshman year had several friends over watched Bowling for Columbine on six consecutive nights.

I'll see the movie eventually. Right now the idiotic hype is completely turning me off.

And I still think Moore is a boorish, tactless jackass and am prepared to agree with The Retro Kat's comments on this one.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:35 PM       
I will see it eventually, but probably not in the theatre. I am curious on what makes Michael Moore the unquestionable profound expert on Bushwhacking. It always seems like he just wants to convince himself into hating Bush further.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM       
I saw this Friday night. It was actually undertaken much better than I was expecting. Woo.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 10:46 PM        Sad...
I have not yet seen the movie. Just the endless worthless television hype. But I can imagine the sensationalism involved and it makes me sad because I think Moore will marginalize the valid points to be made against the Bush Administration by documenting his comments while playing golf, telling stories of families who changed their minds about the war AFTER the sons/daughters where killed in it (um, duh....), etc.

I'm sure there will be tons of hip anti-establishment 18-23 year olds wearing Anti-Flag shirts who will absolutely love this movie. It's a shame that in my opinion it adds little to the worthwhile debate on the subject that Moore is claiming to want to provoke.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 10:58 PM       
You're entirely right except for the last part. I don't think hardly any people at the theater other than myself and my friends was under 25 years old.
The Center Square
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:12 PM       
Quote:
I'm sure there will be tons of hip anti-establishment 18-23 year olds wearing Anti-Flag shirts who will absolutely love this movie. It's a shame that in my opinion it adds little to the worthwhile debate on the subject that Moore is claiming to want to provoke.
Well, that was definitely the case at the screening I went to.
Mocker
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 11:37 PM       
I thought the movie was worth seeing though it didn't really change my point of view on anything. I thought some of the footage was golden, though.

Moore was fixated on Bush stealing the election of 2000. He even blamed gore for accepting that he lost. However, Moore can't get over it...

I didn't think that the scene with bush sitting around the elementary school during 9/11 was effective because 1) he looked really really concerned and 2) He lost so much focus drawing as many connections to the bushes and the bin laden's as possible. He says that the bin laden family was in cahoots with Osama but the only evidence he gives is that an undisclosed number of people of his vastly enormous family met for wedding. Woopty doo, Weddings are held only in the most malicious intent. Moore worded things really subjectivly like when he mentions bush's tax cuts and reduction in welfare, he made it sound like bush was doing this specifically to vetrans, eventhough conservatives in general are for less welfare and more taxcuts.

Moore, however, did make a good point that it wouldn't be too far outta the realm of possibily, and probably a good idea. The part of this i didn't like was when he said that Saudia Arabia was in bad standings with Anmesty international but than showed iraq as a happy playground with wendings, kites, and ferris wheels. I really felt like Moore was grasping at straws anytime he mentioned the Saudi's.

A big thing i noticed was that Moore started out by villifying the soldiers and showing them in killing stage and how they listen to ozzfest cd's when they kill innocent people. but than he switches to Glorifying the soldiers who really are the boys from back home.

The biggest problem i had with the movie was that people of the administration had to be "on" at all times. They couldn't be humans, because moore would point out every little thing to make it look like that they didn't care. I mean it's not like Bush wasn't allowed to laugh at all, ever after 9/11. Every little thing was used against him to make it look like he didn't care.

I do agree with alot of what he said but it's just easier to remember all the stuff that i disagree with. It kicked down a bit at the end and just kinda had a 20/20 feel, but that weird encounter with the lady who said that the war was staged kinda broke the flow and made it bit more exciting.

The propoganda was really obivous towards the end. Between the wounded soldier saying hes gonna become a democrat when he gets home and the dying soldiers wish not to get bush reelected.

:/

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:28 PM        Shifting nature...
See that's sort of what I was getting at. I think there are so many valid criticisms with relatively easily defended premises to challenge the administration on.

To pick out things like the bin Laden connection, soldiers behavior, and Bush's personal actions really belittles the argument. bin Laden's family has about 3,000 people in it. Letting his family leave, who a vast majority of Usama bin Laden experts agree have virtually no influence and little contact with him is really not a big deal. That's like letting O.J.'s mom go home after he killed Nicole. The psychology of soldiers on combat is another matter entirely. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people that are fucked up over there for all sorts of reasons. I'm sure it happens in even the noblest of wars. To degrage troops in that fashion, particularly when you cannot possibly fathom what thier lives must be like yourself is just cheap. And like Scru mentioned, I'm sure that Bush is allowed to laugh, joke, etc. He might be a moron with bad taste in the appropriateness of comments, but what does that have to do with a worthwhile national discussion?

Why not challenge the administration on the CIA? Was the information they got flat out wrong meaning the nations intelligence gathering bodies are failing, or did they simply manipulate the facts? What was the long term post war plan in Iraq and how could it have been so misguided? What drove the decision to abandon Afghanistan for the second time in as many decades to pursue Iraq? Why is there virtually no accountability for multi-million dollar contracts in the effort to rebuild Iraq, particularly when the bulk of it is being divied up by a company with close ties to members of the administration?

There are plenty of high brow, worthwhile disucssions to have. Again without seeing the movie, it is my impression that Moore misses 90% of them.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:00 PM        Re: Shifting nature...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
To pick out things like the bin Laden connection, soldiers behavior, and Bush's personal actions really belittles the argument. bin Laden's family has about 3,000 people in it. Letting his family leave, who a vast majority of Usama bin Laden experts agree have virtually no influence and little contact with him is really not a big deal. That's like letting O.J.'s mom go home after he killed Nicole.
No, it's in fact absolutely nothing like that at all. 3,000 Americans had just been murdered. The United States of America had been attacked. Like Moore says in the film, I don't care if we have to inconvenience a few members of the Bin Laden family, you fucking do it. This is not a tiny point, I think it's in fact one of the strongest arguments he makes in the film.

However, he neglected to mention, even though he had the ability to edit it in, that Richard Clarke takes the credit for giving the green light on this. He actually went on record with The Hill as saying that it went no higher than him, and that he'd do it again. Sloppy, Michael.

I saw the film Friday night, and I'm pretty "eh" about the whole thing. I think the film is less controversial than Bowling for Columbine was in the claims that it makes. I guess that was part of the problem, the film sort of jumps all over the place, and in the end it sounds like he's advocating something between "I don't know" and global socialist revolution. Other than that, I walked away with the impression that Michael Moore apparently dislikes President Bush. Gasp!

I had a few problems with it, which I think have already been enumerated in this thread. The douche bag troops with their killing soundtrack, etc., was very unfair. He probably interviewed dozens and dozens of soldiers, and we'll never know how many gave relatively tame responses.

The images of children playing and "life as normal" in Iraq got to me at first, but then I heard a relatively solid counter-argument to that. We all understand that Iraq was a bad, miserable place. This has been the general public outlook since the first Gulf War. I think the point Moore was trying to make is that despite what we tend to think of Iraq, there was still life and vibrance in this country we were about to bomb. Again, the whole bit, with the bombs hitting as the girl goes down the slide, was really pushing it, and bugged me.

Anyway, the film certainly didn't "inspire" me, but it also didn't suck. I didn't learn anything from it, and I'm not quite as fired up about it as some are.

The one thing I like however is the public debate this has started. If you told me in 2001 that Moore would release a film demonizing the president, calling him out on his connections, and that it would do well (!), I'd say you were crazy. I went out to dinner last night, and I heard two different tables debating the film. As someone who often doubts this silly little democracy that we have, these sounds are a good thing.

Other people who need to be grateful to Moore are documentarians. If you look at the top 5 grossing documentaries of all time, four of them are from the past 5 years or so. #3 on that list, Super Size Me, just came out this year. Moore has made it profitable to be in the business of making documentaries, which used to get very, very tiny distribution, but will now probably get spit out in high volumes by the big boys.....
Mocker
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:38 PM       
One of the big things I agreed with was the whole questioning the Bin laden family part. If they new something than it would be crucial info, and if they didn't than they can be off on there merry way. However I don't agree with the connections that he draws that since some of them met for a wedding means that they all work together.

I'm sticking by my theory that deep down inside that the administration didn't want to find Osama because he was an awesome scape goat for the many mistakes they made.

The movie contradicted itself at times. By first interviewing dousche bag soldiers and following the asshole marine recuiters, than flipping the page and making the soldiers look like angels weilding the swords of righteousness. Anmesty international frowns on Saudia Arabia and it's human rights record but Iraq is playground. The bush administration cuts back on Counter-terrorism, eventhouhg moore prooves that bush gains money by increasing defense.

However the movie made me feel a little bit smarter, because i already new most this stuff and all the kids my age are like "murder the government!"

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM       
Quote:
The images of children playing and "life as normal" in Iraq got to me at first, but then I heard a relatively solid counter-argument to that. We all understand that Iraq was a bad, miserable place. This has been the general public outlook since the first Gulf War. I think the point Moore was trying to make is that despite what we tend to think of Iraq, there was still life and vibrance in this country we were about to bomb. Again, the whole bit, with the bombs hitting as the girl goes down the slide, was really pushing it, and bugged me.
i still havnt seen it but i'm venturing a guess that moore could be showing the viewers that Iraqi's are human beings not too unlike us..to counter that the right wing would have us believe they sit around burning american flags and plotting dirty nuke attacks.
Iraq, last i heard is 55% children under 15yrs old. and some people on the right are talking about nuking them still.. just insane.

maybe some of us are too left to really enjoy the movie but i'm psyched that it's getting a 97% recommendation and blowing predictions out of the water.. i hope it comes to my town so i don't have to waste gas travelling to see it. [/quote]

conus is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM       
Quote:
Iraq, last i heard is 55% children under 15yrs old. and some people on the right are talking about nuking them still.. just insane.
Yes, but those children have dark skin and speak another language. There wasn't much public outcry when when several thousand Panamanians wound up as "collateral damage" when the U.S. invaded that country to capture their errant crony Manuel Norriega. A big percentage of them were children, as well. How do you think the American public would have responded had Norriega been hiding in Sweden, and had the children killed by U.S. airstrikes had blonde hair and blue eyes?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:07 PM       
Would it be anything like the responses to the air strikes in Bosnia?

Please, can we put away the bullshit racism card? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that it doesn't apply in this case.

I know America is the new Nazi strong hold, but I get a little tired of hearing it.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by conus
Quote:
Yes, but those children have dark skin and speak another language. There wasn't much public outcry when when several thousand Panamanians wound up as "collateral damage" when the U.S. invaded that country to capture their errant crony Manuel Norriega. A big percentage of them were children, as well. How do you think the American public would have responded had Norriega been hiding in Sweden, and had the children killed by U.S. airstrikes had blonde hair and blue eyes?
I find the age comments interesting. Alot of these kids are not their numeric age and are just as efficient at killing than people twice their age. I don't think their "color" has anything to do with it. I've seen pictures with soldiers gunning down a 9 year old but they don't show you the 6 people that 9 year old just gunned down. Sometimes I think the lefties put sympathy over survival which is just wrong. You gotta balance your sympathy with some common sense some times.

I am probably going to wait for video on this one. Mostly b/c I am broke but also because I think Moore is extremely far gone and sometimes his logic jumps leaps and bounds to make a point rather than sticking to facts and making a reasonbable interpretation of them, ie. the infamous golf course scene. But I am glad it is fueling the younger crowd to be more politically involved no matter what side they take.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM       
Kids with guns count as enemy combatants, end of story. They made a movie with Samuel L. Jackson about that, I think...