Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM        Bush opposes 'legacy' college admissions
I don't think I even need to post the article for the irony to be clear, do I?

Anyone out there willing to argue W got into Yale on his merits?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM       
I think we need to find some pretext to get him under Oath and then ask him out of the blue if he's had any alchohol since becoming president.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM       
If I had to deal with this media, I'd be doing kegstands before bed everynight.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM       
I'm suprised more people in the media light don't end up committing suicide. Guess money really can buy happiness
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM       
What media, he was stumping opposing affirmative action, he said he's against all favoratism in admissions, that admission should be solely based on merit. A reproter asked him how he felt about lagcy being a contributing factor and W said he was against it.

I think it's a fair question, and it was his answer.

I think his answer is the laughable product of a simple mind.
Mocker
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 04:14 PM       
I agree completely.

Bush is an idiot. :/
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM       
so just because Bush himself is a legacy, he must be for perpetuating the problem?
Mocker
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:44 PM       
Yes or then hes a flip flopper like Kerry

In all fairness Bush is probaly under the impression he got into Yale on his own merits. Bush Sr tried to tell him otherwise once but hes no divider so he chose not to.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM       
So a person that's received welfare and at one point later realized (s)he didn't like the effect the program had on society can't ever campaign to change it?

Something tells me that if we replaced "Bush" with "Kerry" in this article, I'd be reading how courageous the guy is to admit when he's benefitted from a corrupt system.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:28 PM       
Probably. We just don't like bush, no matter what he does.

:/

Demogorgon is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM       
He's too sovereign for my taste.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:22 PM       

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:57 PM       
I agree that it is possible to have utilized something and realize it's wrong.

Kind of like Kerry volunteering to go to Vietnam and then opposing it.

I don't consider Kerry a flip flopper so much as using informed decision-making depending on the situation.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:11 AM       
I agree that one could have a nuanced enough view to actually take advantge of something and later repudiate it. Do any of you honestly think that's what's happening here?

A reporter needs to follow up with, "Do you think Yale's admitting you was the wrong thing to do?" or "Should you have been admitted to Yale?"

I don't think what you have here is either a nuanced, evolving position OR a flip-flop. It's a simple double standard.

Ask him if Jenna is qualified to go... wherever the hell she goes. Despite his manufactured Texas accent, this is an old money pig born with his head in a silver trough. His entire life has been a legacy program. For him to repudiate the idea, if not simply an expediant lie, shows an appalling lack of self knowledge. Him repudiating Legacy in anything is tantamount to saying, "Hi, I'm George Bush, and I don't deserve one damn thing I have, but I got mine, so screw you."

It's not as if he legacied into a State University and an undeserved middle management position at his Dad's Kinkos franchise.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:14 PM       
Jenna goes to Texas University I believe, and what have you to prove she didn't earn her way in?

She got caught drinking? God knows that doesn't ever happen in college.
Mocker
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:19 PM       
Texas University isn't very difficult to get into anyways. So maybe Bush is acting on his stance agaisnt legacy by not simply sending her to Yale.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I agree that one could have a nuanced enough view to actually take advantge of something and later repudiate it. Do any of you honestly think that's what's happening here?
No, not really. I wasn't so much defending Bush as bashing both of them... with nuance. Both candidates are product designed specifically for our voting pleasure. Political veal.

Quote:
A reporter needs to follow up with, "Do you think Yale's admitting you was the wrong thing to do?" or "Should you have been admitted to Yale?"
Well, what would Ivy League schools be without legacy? Isn't that primarily what they are for? The "right" schools for the "right" people... Grades and potential are something for the parents to worry with. Getting in is all about exerting the proper amounts of pull, isn't it? I mean, if you aren't necesarily from the "right" background and have no access to that pull, you can still be an exemplary commoner and kiss alot of ass in order to attain that piece of paper with the Yale/Harvard/etc sticker that proclaims you're going somewhere... but it's still "the" school system for the upper-crust, primarily: The political and corporate elite.

From my view, Yale had no choice but to admit him. That's what Yale's for: Legacy, plus education. I think he rightly believes legacy has no place in lesser establishments that cater to commoners.

Quote:
I don't think what you have here is either a nuanced, evolving position OR a flip-flop. It's a simple double standard.
Sure it's a double standard, but it takes a "nuanced" POV to think legacy works in certain situations when it's an intregal part of the system and doesn't work when regular schools try to do it. (...sensibility to, awareness of, or ability to express delicate shadings...) Ivy League schools serve a particular function for society, for which legacy is an intregal consideration.

Quote:
Ask him if Jenna is qualified to go... wherever the hell she goes. Despite his manufactured Texas accent, this is an old money pig born with his head in a silver trough. His entire life has been a legacy program. For him to repudiate the idea, if not simply an expediant lie, shows an appalling lack of self knowledge. Him repudiating Legacy in anything is tantamount to saying, "Hi, I'm George Bush, and I don't deserve one damn thing I have, but I got mine, so screw you."
Again, replace "Bush" with "Kerry." Same thing. Coke vs. Pepsi.

I tend to think of Bush more as the first CEO of America. Sure, he was bred for this, and many thresholds were lowered for him along the way here, but it's the departure from the system that was necessary to the Republicans, and you've gotta start somewhere... Most of his idiocy, I believe, is only a put-on to hide the nature of what he represents.

Quote:
It's not as if he legacied into a State University and an undeserved middle management position at his Dad's Kinkos franchise.
Actually, it disturbingly is much like that.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM       
I really like Preechr's point of view.

If he tells me he discusses politics because it's fun and not because he cares deeply about it, I'll like him even more.