Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:30 AM        Formerly "My PSP Confliction."
I have a dilemma.

Right now, I am cradling my PSP, with its v2.7 Firmware + 0 Firmware Capabilities, and I am torn, ladies and gentlemen. I am torn because I used to have a PSP with v2.5 firmware when I could use GTA and an eLoader to play all sorts of fun homebrew.

I upgraded to play the LocoRoco demo.
Stupid, I know. Everytime I update, some new downgrader or freaking hack just shows up out of nowhere the next day, making me feel like the most idiotic person on the planet.

Now, some of you probably know not that v2.7.01 was just released.
Most of you probably don't give a damn.

My dilemma is this:
Should I upgrade now, knowing that there may be some miracle downgrader or some new homebrew coming around the pike.
OR
Should I not upgrade and wait until said downgraders/homebrew shows up?

v2.701 was released almost instantaneously after v2.7, which tells me that Sony found some problem so severe with 2.7 that they had to make up a few features to mask the fact that they were patching up the few holes left in the firmware.

Homebrew is what makes the PSP. Help me decide, whether it be by a flip of the coin or with knowledge.

P.S. I saw this more related to games than a technical question, otherwise it'd be under the Technophile's section. I'd be more than happy to let it be moved there if someone saw it that way.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:56 AM       
Well I guess I'm too damn impatient, but I updated anyway.
I have been assured by numerous sources that such an update wasn't made to plug up any holes, but to add minor updates, such as v2.701's ability to directly download game demos from the official PSP Homepage in the internet browser.
I think that this was a good update and in retrospect I looked like an idiot.

I feel I'll be using this thread in the future to rant about the PSP.
:/

8ullfrog is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM        2.7 idiocy
Once you upgraded to 2.7 you shot yourself. In the balls.

People are still developing the majority of homebrew for 1.5 YES 1.5, also homebrew appears to be mostly corpsish.

As for 2.7, nobody is touching that shit. Mostly things seem to be in a refinement stage. There are some very nice snes emulators out there, as well as sega. While they are obviously not 100% yet, they are on their way to being great.
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM       
I still have a 1.5 psp
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM       
i have a 0.0 PSP
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM       
PSP more like a stupid piece of shit ha ha am I right guys
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM       
Yeah haha :hi5
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM       
I own one and I basically agree.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM       
I'll either be buying the Mod Chip that's coming out later this year or/and just buy a v1.5 off of ebay.
They say that the mod chip can unbrick a PSP !
It'll sell for $90.

Links:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/26/i...t-psp-modchip/
http://pspupdates.qj.net/First-PSP-M...g/49/aid/46315
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...t-psp-mod-chip
http://www.playfeed.com/index.php/pl...nced-05261130/
http://pgrevolution.com/2006/05/28/m...platinum-info/

This thing's legit.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:34 PM       
Is there any news about that web browser for the DS yet?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM       
I don't keep much track of DS news, but here's a link for ya.

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

That should be the official news, I'm not sure of a homebrew DS web browser.

They're also announcing a TV tuner, but I don't think that'll be as successful.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM       
I would think if a firmware upgrade is possible, a downgrade is also possible, though it would require a lot more work...
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:11 AM       
You bet your sweet ass it does.
Dudes toil endlessly over a hobby that also benefits their fellow man.
Emulators, downgraders, and hardware hacks. Everything we take for granted. Without the small group of people skilled enough to make this junk, I and my fellow PSP owners would be dead in the water.
A platform that has so much potential going to waste over Sony's stupidity. Perhaps I'll make apetition one day that will change Sony's stance on homebrew, but for now, I'll wait to see what the future holds for the media machine.
dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM       
was that a rap?

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:20 AM       
PSP Update Schedule (from Playstation Business Briefing in March)

Suffice it to say, I won't be upgrading for all of those lame features.
But the PSP Camera looks promising.

Edit: Actually...

Playstation Emulator. Hmmm... Nice.
adept_ninja is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM       
so far the PSP is pretty gay; there are only a few good titles out but it looks like that is changing soon with MGS portable, tekken DR, and shit like that but their are only like 4 games worth playing right now.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM       
Most people who are REALLY into the PSP, like myself, don't have games. I didn't buy it for games. And besides, PSone games on the PSP. :raspberry
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:19 AM       

PSP Camera = Teh Uber Sexi

Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM       
the last pic looks makes the psp look like a peodophile dream gadget

Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM       
The only thing I use my PSP for is SNES emulation these days. I am looking forward to some upcoming PSP titles but we'll see if I feel like upgrading by then. Some of the new features coming up seem semi cool.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM       
To all/the few of you who have a PSP that is 2.5/2.6 firmware that was originally under 2.5 and you upgraded and want to downgrade, news has been rapidly spreading of a downgrader that... well... downgrades to fw 1.5.

Several limitations come with this:

A) You must have upgraded from 1.5/2.0/etc. to 2.5/2.6. Not for factory 2.5's.

B) Your PSP mustn't be a TA-082. To check this, look inside the top-right corner of the UMD drive. If there is a IC1003, that's a bad thing. If there's nothing, you're in the clear.
(Another interesting tidbit, if your PSP is TA-082, you won't be able to use the modchip, either. Fun fun.)

C) You need a PSP with 1.5 firmware, whether it be your friend's, brother's, mom's, or whoever's.

D) A USB cord connection to PSP.

E) A CLEAN eboot of the 1.5 firmware, found here:
http://dl.qj.net/psp-firmware-1.50-f.../163/catid/163

I say clean because many 1.5 eboots are tampered with and can brick your PSP.

F) A copy of Grand Theft Auto: LCS

G) The eLoader: http://www.fanjita.org/
Click on eboot loader and scroll down to the automated installer file and follow the insructions from there.

I would also like to state that in order to run Homebrew games and apps, you don't really need to downgrade. All you need is Grand Theft Auto and the eLoader. However, some people prefer the downgrader, like me. But hey, it's your PSP.

You also need the Helper, (which goes on the friend's 1.5):
http://dl.qj.net/1.50-helper-%282.5-...8541/catid/151

And the downgrader itself:
http://dl.qj.net/index.php?pg=12&fid=8566

Remember to unzip the junk.

KEEP IN MIND: THIS HAS NOT BEEN FULLY PERFECTED AND NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK. So if you brick your PSP, it's not my fault.

With that in mind, we proceed.

1) Hook up the 1.5 PSP to the computer via USB and set the Helper into the PSP games folder. I can't remember whether or not you put it in a folder called "Helper" or not. If it doesn't work the first time, either put it into or take it out of the folder (which you have to create.)

2) Take the 1.5 firmware eboot and put it into a folder in the GAMES section called "UPDATE" in all caps, (which you also have to create).

3) Lauch the 1.5 Helper app, which should be in the games section on the PSP. It'll run for a long time. What it's doing, basically, is copying all of the essential 1.5 files and tossing them into a file called Downdater on the root of the memory stick.

Congratulations, you no longer need your friend's 1.5 PSP.

4) Pull the Downdater folder from the 1.5's root and put it onto the root of whatever PSP you're downgrading.

5) Now, put the Downgrader itself into the GAMES folder.

6) If you don't know how: Refer to the various guides around the internet on how to get GTA and eLoader to run eboots. This guide is already looking a bit long and I don't want to go into explaining that here. I find http://www.psphacks.net/ to be very helpful.

THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN

7) Start the Downgrader through GTA.

8) It may look like it shut itself off, but, as you can see, the memory stick light is flashing, meaning it's working.

9) Leave it for a minute or so after it looks done, just to make sure.

10) Afterward, it'll look like it did when you first bought it.

If you get a UMD load error, shut down the PSP completely and remove the battery for about five minutes.

Congratulations, you now have a 1.5fw PSP, and if you haven't checked already, GTA should no longer work without upgrading to 2.0. YAY.

For further info, I HIGHLY recommend checking out PSP Hacking 101.com and checking the forums and watching some of the many videos.

I based this guide off of episode 17, the newest one.

And that's all there is to it. Downgrading your PSP in 10 easy steps.
If you brick your PSP screwing this up, it's not my fault.

Ow, my hands hurt a bit. So does my sunburn. Anyway... you're welcome. And don't say I don't contribute anything.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM       
I'm just sticking with 2.6 right now and using the GTA ebootness. Works quite well with snes9xtyl. That's all I really care about at this point.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM       
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-0-2-80-Fi...g/49/aid/63483

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT.
EXPLOIT FOUND IN FIRMWARES UP TO 2.8.

I confirm that it works.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM       
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but here's a list of the games Sony has down for sure with the PS1 emulator:

Bio Hazard Director's Cut
Konami Antiques MSX Collection V1
Konami Antiques MSX Collection V2
BishiBashi Special
Arc the Lad
Jumping Flash! Aloha Danshaku Funky Daisensou no maki
Minna no Golf 2
Silent Bomber
Tekken 2
Mister Driller

Obviously, this is only for Japanese audiences now, but, when firmware 3.0 ships out, (soon), Americans will get a taste of the Playstation Online store where you can buy the games. For those who have a PS3 already, (yeah right ), you can download the games from the Store already and transfer them to the PSP when 3.0 comes out.

In other news, the PSP Camera has been released in Japan along with the Chotto Shotto UMD which lets you take Motion JPG, with sound, and take and edit pictures.