Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:59 PM        Metal Gear Solid 3 Demo
Just got my new OPM. The cover story is MGS3, and it has a playable demo included. Possible spoilers below, but I tried to cover anything that wasn't gameplay based.

I skipped the 3-4 cutscenes in the beginning, because I didn't want to spoil anything for myself as far as story goes. But I did catch one thing: SPOILER

Quote:
Your codename is Naked Snake
Everything's still in Japanese with subtitles, which is fine by me.

Pressing Start brings up your menu, where in the demo, only Camo and Food are available. You can change your face and uniform (no other options besides the default and none were available at the start), and each option tells you if it'll add, subtract, and change nothing to your camo rating. Food consists of three cages, which I guess you can trap animals in to either eat, or use as weapons (unleash a snake against an enemy, and such).

SPOILERS?
Quote:
The first thing you have to do is retreive a backback you lost in your HALO Jump.
After that, you can switch items in and out of your backpage to your typical item/weapon cycles.

Some things I learned in my first playthorugh.

-Things are tense. I spent a half hour barely getting anywhere, because I didn't know what to expect.
-Camo rating is quick and responsive. Seems to change in increments of 5%, and is constantly changing as you move through areas.
-I killed two snakes, they turn into ration-style items to put in your inventory to eat later.
-I saw two crocodiles. I tranqed them, and then tried to stab them to death. I apparently died by drowning in/getting pulled into the swamp.
-The gun suppressor deteriorates with each use. Once it gets to 0, your gun won't be silence anymore. Many items in your inventory also have a battery life, so they don't last long either. I imagine you can find replacements.
-Trees you can climb seem to be marked with vines or moss.
-When I had my gun equipped, it had a knife icon underneath it. I couldn't use the knife though, so I don't know what that means.
-For some reason, things took quite a while to load when going into the Codec menu. It might just be a problem with the demo.
-When trying to go into First-Person view, and you're backed up against something, you can't stay backed up against it. Frustrating, because that can mean the different between being invisible to enemies and being right out in the open.
-No radar or map. I think you can turn it on in the full version, but it makes the game that much more tense by not knowing were to go, where you can go, and what might await you.
-Couldn't figure out how to trap animals.
-Stamina meter is shown in bars underneath your life. It slowly goes down, and you need to eat to raise it up again.
-Neat little effect of swinging the knife around causes you to cut the long grass. I don't think it cuts it down, but grass blades fly into the air.

Can't think of anything else. Any other questions, ask them and I'll try to answer them. Mark all potential spoilers though. I died, and haven't played it again, yet. But the game seems to play great, once you get used to it. I'm gonna read the article inside the magazine, to see if it gives any insight, but I'll definitely be playing this again.

The magazine should be on shelves in a couple weeks. Keep an eye out and buy it.
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:31 PM       
Horray! Meatal gear is one of 2 games I am really looking forward to.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:21 PM       
i like metal gear but i dont have ps2

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM       
Spent too much on the clown makeup, eh?
Crying Baby Jesus is probably a spambot
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:20 PM       
i'm getting a PStwo when it comes out
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM       
I got mine in the mail today. It's wicked sweer, yo. The knife is buttloads of fun, and they give you goodies like the shotgun to play with. I adore grenading alligators.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:34 PM       
(hopes for pc release / waits to play it on flatmates ps2)

adeptninja is probably a spambot
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:04 PM       
You just press circle if you have the knife under your gun. You trap animals by shooting them with the trank gun (cant trank alligators)
also if you go into the survival view in the start menu and spin snake around he pukes. I spent an hour spewing chunks on my foe.